Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Feb 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
So, I am determined to write my trip report from February 2020! But, do you prefer ones that have an index and a separate thread for each day, or ones that are just a continuous thread with an “updated” comment on the first page?
I have to say I love an index. Easier to navigate around the comments and the report.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

So, I am determined to write my trip report from February 2020! But, do you prefer ones that have an index and a separate thread for each day, or ones that are just a continuous thread with an “updated” comment on the first page?
I think one of the reasons I don’t like to read trip reports is because usually they are a different thread each day and I cannot be bothered with that. Dining reports tend to be continuous and I find that much easier.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I prefer a good "warts and all" highs and lows. Don't have the stamina for reading the 3 week trip reports, tend to lose steam after day 5 or 6.

What I like is if people put the dates/holiday in the title though - If I'm going at Easter, I want to read Easter reports.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I prefer a good "warts and all" highs and lows. Don't have the stamina for reading the 3 week trip reports, tend to lose steam after day 5 or 6.

What I like is if people put the dates/holiday in the title though - If I'm going at Easter, I want to read Easter reports.
I believe that the ‘warts and all’ approach is rather important.

A trippie should maybe not be a simple boast fest about what a wonderful vacation you have had and full of ‘selfies’. Perhaps it should also have things in it for the person reading?

A good summary of what you intend doing, why you planned it that way and what you took in to consideration during your decision making.
Previous experiences?
Only ever use one company (flights and/or accommodation?
Great flight deals, then fill in the dots? (Our way).
A bucket list of which you are going to satisfy some elements?
A meticulous plan and then a purchase of the various elements?
A package because it neatly fitted, but without ‘hassle’?
Planned by others within a multi family group?

A summary of what you booked, how, where and why.

Yes, a coverage of what you did each day, but covering what was good, what was disappointing, what you might do differently or better, were you to do it again next year. What you learned on that day.

Rightly or wrongly, by the time somebody has (hopefully ) read one of my trippies, they will have enjoyed it, found some ideas that perhaps had never occurred to them (I like to think that we often go ‘outside the box’), seen some things that they would not have done and never intend doing, seen where mistakes have been made and made a mental note to avoid them themselves. I want people to finish one of my trippies uplifted, but also informed. Whether I achieve this is a different matter entirely.

Meals. People either love this content or hate it. There is even a separate part of the DIBB for food reports, so it is clearly popular with many. I largely avoid it, other than saying where we went, why? and whether it was good, bad or indifferent in my own opinion. I might photograph something, but only if it is very unusual or noteworthy. I would guess that some people are wasting their time by reading one of my trippies, but others would welcome the omission of endless images of bacon, bagels and burgers on plates.

Pictures of family. I obviously do some in settings or to demonstrate what I am trying to explain, but rarely simply to show a head and a smile.. again a personal thing that others may love.

What do I hope to achieve?

A great collection of memories, compiled live for future, balanced perusal on a wet November night in Penryn, over a bottle of wine and whilst bored.

A readable and balanced report that may assist others in planning their own vacation, giving ideas and also identifying both errors and mistakes on our part.

Best trip report ever (IMO)?
‘A suitcase and a dream’ by ‘Miked1e’ on the California thread. It followed few if any of my self imposed rules, but has been used by ourselves for reference on many occasions as we plan our own vacations.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
Personally, I prefer the separate thread do each day and an index I just find them a lot easier to read.
Me too
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I've never done a trip report on here, but I do blog when I'm on holiday, and have done since before I discovered Florida/The Dibb. We started as an alternative to calling our mums - they can read at their leisure and see the pics as we go.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I would usually say one with an index and a separate thread for each day.

Those with a continuous thread are either shorter and more condensed if all in one post, or if in multiple posts in the same thread then it can be difficult to find the various days amongst the other comments. And I appreciate the organisation of an index.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Shakespeare did not create a separate book for each chapter of Romeo and Juliet and I am following his best practice.
Yeah, but he did start each chapter on a separate page. Which is effectively what a different thread is.

Whereas you could argue that having everything in one thread is like having the whole of Romeo and Juliet on one long piece of paper.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

I love trip reports. Have loved reading quite a few on here and will be starting to read them again when my heads back in the right place. I’ve done two a cruise and Disney world. I don’t know if I did it so that I can remember but it was definitely prompted by the dibbs love of trippies. I so wish I had done them before lot of years ago when we didn’t have the kids as it’s so hard remembering everything we did or how we felt.

I have read my own through a few times when down and I love having a record of how our first family holidays abroad went. I would be gutted if I didn’t have this and I think I will always do these in the future even if I don’t actually put them on the dibb.
I do however feel like mine are boring compared to others but tbh I don’t really care as they are more for me than anyone really but I uploaded them in case I had any relevant info for anyone I suppose
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

Personally I write them for myself to look back on, if others enjoy them or find them useful then that’s just an added bonus!
I personally like an index and separate pages as I find it easier to read that way, so that’s how mine are laid out. I wouldn’t write them or format them in any other way just to suit others, as it’s my record of my trips 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List