Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Feb 21, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Lovely photo. We used to use wood pellets for litter, but switched to worlds best cat litter and prefer it, no smell, clumps well, we get from Amazon.
There was an article in the paper today saying cats fed high meat protein foods kill less animals, so we're going to try that, ours brought a rat in last week and we're getting regular gifts of mice!
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
outofdate
Excited about Disney

outofdate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
How exciting for you! I got a cat from cats protection 5 years ago and like you had no clue what to buy! I bought a beautiful cat bed (never used!) and bowls for food and water. Litter tray and scoop and a few toys. Despite being a stray my cat is very fussy with food - gourmet perle in gravy it is then! I use catsan as it was the foster home used.
During the first lockdown a stray moved in! He had not been chipped or snipped and after trying to find his owner for months the vet said we should keep him - so he was chipped and snipped then, poor boy!
So I now have two lovely cats but consider myself a dog person. They have brought much joy and comfort this year and I hope you find that too.
Old 12 Feb 21, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Mine get purina one and generally just one flavour as that is the preferred one! Tuna for a treat.

I don't have a litter tray but used wood pellets.

I have ceramic bowls for food and water. Some of mine prefer the toilet or shower! Some stick their paw in and lick that, so weird.

I have various scratching posts but a couple like the sofa which I'm not happy about. A couple have ruined an old carpet too.

They love the round cardboard scratching/ beds i get from zooplus and radiator beds but they go through phases and never sleep in the same place.
I have various toys which they take out of the toy box and scatter round the house regularly!
Old 12 Feb 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

I’d also agree with speaking to the rescue and asking them what they’ve been feeding and using in the litter tray.

Toys, a scratch box- they do these amazing cardboard box style scratchers which are reasonably cheap. They have them in the shape of chaise lounges (not sure that’s spelt correctly!) and my cats love them.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I buy tesco value cat litter, had no problems with it at all and super cheap compared to lots of others.
We needed an emergency litter tray and we now have a washing up bowl haha! I have 3 cats and despite having each other they don't seem to mind sharing a tray.

Always been advised against metal bowls and especially now as eldest cat has hyperthyroidism, so no metal bowls or tuna allowed. She has perle purina gourmet food and the other 2 really aren't bothered about what they eat, but they're on whiskas wet and dry at the moment.

Haven't bought beds as they never ever use them (we've always had cats so I learnt from them!), and they use our fence rather than a scratching post!

Ultimately your cat will tell you what's acceptable and what's not - dont get too sure of yourself though, once you buy a load of food in bulk your cat will decide it doesn't like it anymore!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I had Siamese for over 20 years.
I used wood pellet litter which I used to buy super cheap from Home Bargains. No smell and my cats liked it. I fed James Wellbeloved as one of mine had IBD and this food really suited him. Cat tree and scratching posts are a must. Also as someone else mentioned, no lillies as they are really toxic. the pollen can easily transfer to them and can become ingested when they groom.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Another one for Catsan.
We also have a covered litter tray which is much better smell wise and so they can’t kick the litter out everywhere.
Obviously for the kittens a normal low sided litter tray is fine till they’re bigger .
Definitely scratching posts!
My boys are 5 now and have never scratched the carpet .. until recently ! So have bought an extra cardboard one for the landing and now it’s stopped them again thankfully!
I’d feed them whatever the rescue is at the moment just so it doesn’t upset their tummies too much, although we leave crunchies down for them all day and they get wet food (gourmet perle)in the morning and at our dinner time .
Good luck ! I’d love another kitten 🐱
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have had cats for the majority of my life. My current cat now always goes outside so we don’t have a litter tray, but when I have one I get one with a lid but usually take the door flap off. I have at times used wood pellets and other times Catsan or something similar, I don’t have a preference between the two, but I don’t like the clay litters.

Not sure if you have a dog now, but when I had a litter tray in the house and my dog was young, he used to try and eat cat poo.

I have used different cat foods at different times. We used to always go to the pet store for Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved. But we started picking up food from the supermarket and so for the last few years my cat has been eating Iams, he is now on Iams senior. He also has a Sheba wet food pouch once a day.

I would definitely get a scratching post for an indoor cat. We don’t currently have one as he sharpens his claws outside most of the time, but occasionally he will scratch at the carpet.

I have never had a cat that is particularly bothered about a basket. My current cat will occasionally get into the dog bed, but mainly he finds a warm spot on the floor, he currently has about five favourite spots dotted around the house and he will be in one of them right now as he doesn’t go out much when it is cold.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

My cats loved a radiator bed. Even though we had a couple they would all try to squish in one.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Aww how lovely! And so exciting!

I think most cats are different when it comes to food, litter and litter trays as they like what they like and not what we want them to like!

For food, I’d stick with what the shelter are feeding them at first, especially with the kitten as you don’t want to change it suddenly as you’ll upset their stomach. If you do decide to change, generally something with a high meat content is best, but change it gradually, bit by bit, don’t just switch.

We have a large litter tray for ours, it’s a sifting litter tray from pets at home, but we use wood pellets as we’ve always found these best, but it’s personal preference I think, for you and the cats. Again though, for the kitten, I’d ask the shelter what they’re using as some kittens won’t use a new type of litter or tray! Our cat when we got him wouldn’t use our litter tray as it had a side on, we took it off so it was identical to his old one and he used it no problems!

Scratching posts, cat tree and toys are a must I would say, for enrichment and to encourage natural cat behaviour. Ours has a cat tree with scratching posts built into it, plus loads of toys which we rotate to stop him getting bored.

Musts I would say,
-multiple litter trays, at least two or three, a lot of cats won’t share.
-bowls, we’ve always had metal bowls that are on a stand as plastic bowls can cause cat acne and we chose something large as cats can get whisker fatigue.
-claw clippers, to give them a little trim if they get long as they can get caught on household items and hurt themselves
-scoop for scooping poo from the litter tray!
-a cat friendly cleaning solution for accidents or for when you clean the litter tray (we got ours from pets at home)

You’ll soon not remember life before cats!
This is all the advice I would have given
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List