Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Mar 21, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I know I said I’d go but...

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
And I'm not misunderstanding you at all. I know exactly what you're doing.
I don’t think I’m “doing” anything? Am I? Other than having a reasonable discussion with people on this thread and clumsily empathising with them. I’m not entirely sure what you mean but I hope you don’t think I’m being nefarious or something? Sorry if that’s how it came across.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I know I said I’d go but...

I don’t think I’m “doing” anything? Am I? Other than having a reasonable discussion with people on this thread and clumsily empathising with them. I’m not entirely sure what you mean but I hope you don’t think I’m being nefarious or something? Sorry if that’s how it came across.
Hopefully your not, and its me being sensitive. But you have implied with various clumsy comparisons that women are being too cautious and its silly to be that cautious. Which is aimed at the women in this thread, who have expressed various instances of harressment or abuse .By comparing to dog bites and car accidents you have minimised their experiences and earned fear.

I do agree that its a shame that men are viewed that way, when the majority would never harm or purposely scare a women. But no women knows a man is dangerous until they show their true colours.

Edited at 08:51 PM.
Emmie2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Its better to be safe than sorry. I hate being out at night, the world feels like a very different place, thats whether I'm out on foot or in my car I just dont feel safe.
I'm not sure I even think of feeling nervous because of men, or women, it's just a real uneasiness that makes me very on edge and a real need to get home or wherever it is I'm going.
I'd rather not put myself in any position like that
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Sorry it was ages ago now and I can’t find it, but can someone tell me what the app was called that you can shake to alert people? I want to put it on my kids phones
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Following on from an earlier thread about Sarah Everard and a debate on Sky now. Are the streets really that unsafe for women. The impression I’m getting from Sky is that women walk around terrified especially at night.

Is this really the case, as a 6ft 4 male I don’t really see much as a threat on the streets. Is it really that scary for women walking on their own?

When walking at night do you see all males as a threat, if so is there anything I as a male could do to put you more at ease if we happened to be on the same street at the same time
As a 5ft 6 male I am not frightened either walking the streets.

I personally don't see what height has to do with it.

I think the only men worried about this are the caring type who hate to think of women (or anyone for that matter) suffering.

They guys doing this stuff will be having a right laugh.

Just want to add thank you to all the female dibbers for your views. I'm like Wazza I try my best if out on a walk not to follow etc. Wish we could do more.

Edited at 09:29 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
Sorry it was ages ago now and I can’t find it, but can someone tell me what the app was called that you can shake to alert people? I want to put it on my kids phones
Hollie Guard
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
The biggest danger to children comes from people known to them, not strangers.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lou1982 View Post
Women don’t know which men are going to harm them. To keep themselves as safe as possible (which they must because if they don’t take every possible precaution and something happens to them they will be at least partly blamed) women must consider every possible threat.

The consequence of considering every man as a potential threat and thus taking all reasonable precautions to protect yourself is that some men may be offended.

The consequence of not doing so is that the risk you will be assaulted or worse is increased.

I don’t want to offend anyone. But I want to keep myself as safe as possible more than I care about someone’s feelings being hurt.
You might choose to view every man as a potential threat. I don't. Neither do all woman, has been said in her.

Please everyone stop generalising.

Most men I meet day in day out are no threat at all. Most men I see in the shop or street are no threat at all.

I will not assume all men to be a risk. I will not change my behaviour just in case I happen to cross paths with the odd weirdo with the intent to cause me harm.

I don't want to sound like I'm making light of a situation. A poor woman has lost her life. I'm assuming she felt safe to be walking home. Many in here have suffered abuse (me included) but this doesn't mean we all must stay inside or buy panic alarms.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
Unfortunately 80% of women in the UK have experienced sexual harassment - so for 80% of the female population all men are a potential threat. It is indeed sad the remaining 99% of men will be seen as one of those threats. Women are more likely to have been brought up to believe men to be the stronger dominant sex and this again plays into the feel of being unsafe when alone.

If our male population were educated to not see women as objects of their sexual affection and more like "one of the boys" also taking steps to call out inappropriate behaviours in their peers then we could hopefully get to a world where women do n to see ALL men as a potential threat.

I hope my post doesn't come across as male hating (I'm not at all), I actually also feel very sorry for the males in our society who are having to navigate at rapid speed the way we are forging our new world to be more equitable.

Generally, I am pleased we are having these (and other minority issues) questioned and brought into a real conversation for change. I change my (sometimes ingrained) point of view regularly based on reasoned arguments and the changing landscape of our society and this can only be for the good of everyone. I am very much looking forward to a world that sees everyone as equal and treated with the same respect.
I think 80% of woman is a better estimate of those suffering sexual harassment then the generalisation of all women.

But you go on to say all of the 80% will see all men as a threat. I don't. I've been targetted by men on several occasions but I don't see all men as a risk or threat.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
You might choose to view every man as a potential threat. I don't. Neither do all woman, has been said in her.

Please everyone stop generalising.

Most men I meet day in day out are no threat at all. Most men I see in the shop or street are no threat at all.

I will not assume all men to be a risk. I will not change my behaviour just in case I happen to cross paths with the odd weirdo with the intent to cause me harm.

I don't want to sound like I'm making light of a situation. A poor woman has lost her life. I'm assuming she felt safe to be walking home. Many in here have suffered abuse (me included) but this doesn't mean we all must stay inside or buy panic alarms.
This ^^^^^

Perfect words.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List