Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Mar 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Last night I made sweet and sour chicken hong kong style, (battered) it was very easy (just a little time preparing ingredients first) actual cooking was quick and simple stir fry.
I served with rice and prawn toasts from the shop.

Here is recipe link - kitchensanctuary/swe...-sour-chicken/

Here is my finished plate and it was delicious if I say so myself!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 01:41 PM.
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Yummy 😂

Disney332
Old 14 Mar 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That looks delicious. Just had a look on the rest of the recipe site and saved it on my favourites. Think it will be a Chinese night next Saturday. Thanks for posting.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Defo going to make this, thank you!

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Last night I made sweet and sour chicken hong kong style, (battered) it was very easy (just a little time preparing ingredients first) actual cooking was quick and simple stir fry.
I served with rice and prawn toasts from the shop.

Here is recipe link - kitchensanctuary/swe...-sour-chicken/

Here is my finished plate and it was delicious if I say so myself!
That look delicious! Strangely I have been craving this for weeks! Probably because I am on a diet and desperately need something sweet lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Love sweet and sour - looks lovely
Old 15 Mar 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

That looks lovely, I haven’t had Sweet & Sour chicken for ages. I might just have to put this on next weeks meal plan!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

next time, try it with boneless/skinless chicken thighs, they are even better... its much harder to overcook thigh meat, so you're less likely to get dry chicken. plus its cheaper/tastier!

also, if you want a nice kick to it, lao gan ma chilli black bean paste is *amazing*

amazon/Laoganma-Bl...f_=as_li_ss_tl

(its cheaper if you have an asian supermarket nearby - just look for the angry lady on the label!)

here's some schezuan chicken i made which is pretty similar to your sauce, just less "sweet" ingredients, and more spicy...

*edit*
also, make a huge batch, and par-cook them - 2 mins tops. just enough for the batter to firm up), then place on a baking tray in the freezer for 45 mins before bagging up into portions and freezing till later. they can then be finished in the fryer or spray with a little oil and put in the oven

*edit2*
heres my sauce recipe:

T - tablespoon
t - teaspoon

chillies - as many/few as you like. i used 2 large red chillies and 3 small green birdseye chillis

4 Large Shallots or 1 large onion
1 Thumb-sized lump of ginger, peeled
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
1T Szechuan Peppercorns, roughly ground
3T Chinese Rice Wine
1T Brown Sugar
3-4T Tomato puree
2T Rice Vinegar
1t Sesame Oil
2T Vegetable Oil
1T Water

(using a food processor, i dropped in the chillis, garlic, ginger and finally the onion/shallots once the rest are chopped and diced very finely, but you can chop them finely - slice birdseye thinly, and dice other chillis into small chunks. leave seeds in for added heat)

heat vegetable oil in wok or pan to a medium heat, add above mix and fry for a couple of minutes

add the rest of the ingredients, topping up with additional tomato puree or water if needed to get the consistency you need. if you like it a bit thicker, add a tablespoon of cornstarch premixed into a few tablespoons of water to the pan and bring to the "boil" cook for no more than a few minutes, then leave to cool. keep it in the fridge until needed.

*edit3*
instead of egg wash, marinade the chicken for an hour (or overnight) in a mixture of soy/ginger/garlic then just drop straight into the seasoned cornflour... adding cayenne give the cornflour a nice kick to it too

Edited at 05:50 PM.
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

That looks lovely. I use a Hairy Bikers recipe but it’s not Hong Kong style. Will save this one. Thanks.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I use the Hairy Dieters sweet and Sour recipe you might want to try that Floridatilly
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List