Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Apr 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
FairFX?

Iíve had a FairFx USD card for years and got a new one last year valid until 2023. I didnít use it much but was thinking of adding some a minimal amount of funds I can keep separate a little at a time to add up the equivalent cost of a few days of the dining plan. Went on the app and saw itís all changed to a new currency card and I must add £50 to get the new card. Is this correct? I know Iím going to have to add money on it eventually but bit peeved theyíve changed it and my valid card isnít actually valid.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lmartin
VIP Dibber

Not used FairFX for a few years, have you looked at any alternatives? I personally use Revolut but am a Metal subscriber and use it for other purposes other than travel.
Old 3 Apr 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
I have Revolut and a Starling Card. I just wanted something totally separate just for one thing and thought Iíd use the FairFX as I already had what I thought was a valid card.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I've been with FairFx for a number of years, and Revolut more recent times.
I've recently reviewed my options and always like to have a look at Money Saving Expert.
FairFx isn't one of the top recommended ones for MSE, although it used to be. Revolut is still recommended. I saw the change in card type with FairFx and on balance I decided to close my account. I don't think there was anything horrendous about them, but there was mention of charges for unused cards. **
I also recently got a Starling account, after reading about them on here and MSE, as they appear to be really good. I like the fact that they have no fees for withdrawing over a certain monthly amount from ATMs, unlike some/all of the pre paid cards.
So for my next holiday, if it goes ahead, I plan to use a combination of Revolut and Starling for the main spends.
The only potential 'downside' with Starling is that I can't bank a good exchange rate pre holiday, but I've still got that option with Revolut.

** Edit
This is the link to the MSE article re charging on FairFx and other cards if not used. Revolut doesn't have this charge
moneysavingexpert/ne...-charged-a-p2/

Edited at 09:47 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Very Serious Dibber

You should have received an email from them August last year regarding the upgrade to the new card. It was free to do. If you didn't do the upgrade your existing card would have closed on 31st October.

I still have the FairFX but just have it as a back up. We got it before we had a fee free credit card. If I was looking now I'd probably choose something else like Monzo.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by shelle View Post
You should have received an email from them August last year regarding the upgrade to the new card. It was free to do. If you didn't do the upgrade your existing card would have closed on 31st October.

I still have the FairFX but just have it as a back up. We got it before we had a fee free credit card. If I was looking now I'd probably choose something else like Monzo.
I don't think I got that email but I might just have missed it.

Edited at 09:58 PM.
Old 3 Apr 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I can remember doing mine but i dont think DH did his as he didnt get email- i will have to chase as it has some $$ on. Bit worried the cash may have disappeared 🙁
Old 4 Apr 21, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
LouH
Serious Dibber

I didnít have to pay for my new card. I ordered one and then when activated contacted them and they transferee them EUR and my USD amounts over.

Email them - Iíve always found them really quick and helpful
LouH is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
LouH
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I can remember doing mine but i dont think DH did his as he didnt get email- i will have to chase as it has some $$ on. Bit worried the cash may have disappeared 🙁
If you have a new currency card thatís the same account as previously just email them. I did and within hours the money was transferred.
LouH is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
Very Serious Dibber

I had the same renewal e mail even though my current card at the time was only 8 months old.