Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Apr 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
Why do people do that! They got something for free, then pass it on for free🤷that way you've given some happiness to someone
There was a post on our local freecycle page a few years ago about a guy who’s flat had fire damage and could anyone donate items to help replace them. Many people donated lots of lovely stuff only to find a week later that 90% of it was put up on the local selling page by him so the admin of that site banned him.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post
People are just so... strange 😂

We often give things away for free, mainly because I just can't be bothered photographing and listing things individually but I've found even free people take the mick.

We offered our daughters balloon arch and helium balloons for free after her birthday and had messages asking us to deliver 20 minute drive away, like what?! The balloons are free, my time and fuel is not! 😂
The people who collected in the end were lovely though so I feel happy they went to a good home. 😊
I had this last year. I said that's fine, I'll deliver but please send £15 for petrol via PayPal. Low and behold they rocked up in a lush range rover a few hours later 🤣
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Our son and DIL gave some friends a couple of settees for free, the friends were moving in to a house and didn't have much money. A year later the friends had bought a new suite. The cheeky so and so's sold the settees that they had got for nothing. Is that usual? Our DIL felt that they should have donated the settees on to someone else that needed them.
Whilst it would have been nice if they did , unless your son actually said to them to pay it forward when they were done with it , then no , once gifted , it’s up to the new owner what they do with an item . If it was important to your son he should have said so to them.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

I recently listed an Ikea Malm set of drawers, the 5 drawer. A guy turned up in his old modelVauxhall Astra, every seat in the car was taken by what looked like a family trip out & he tried to push them into the boot. Watching him was comical as I'm sure he expected them to fold in. Anyway he realised it wasn't going to work, after damaging them, & brought them back to the front door. Total idiot!

It's the ones that ask for free items to be delivered for free that annoy me. Sometimes I will offer to drop off if I'm passing their door within a few days, just to get it out of the way
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Our son and DIL gave some friends a couple of settees for free, the friends were moving in to a house and didn't have much money. A year later the friends had bought a new suite. The cheeky so and so's sold the settees that they had got for nothing. Is that usual? Our DIL felt that they should have donated the settees on to someone else that needed them.
Not long after we first got married one of my husbands friends emigrated to South Africa and he gave us and another friend a (very) large fish tank each. The other friend asked us if he could get ours also as he was keen to keep fish so we gave it to him (free). Next we heard he had sold both of them.

I really went off him and had nothing much to do with him after that. Real friends don’t behave like that. It’s nothing to do with the money - you just feel a mug and have been taken advantage of.

Edited at 04:06 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Whilst it would have been nice if they did , unless your son actually said to them to pay it forward when they were done with it , then no , once gifted , it’s up to the new owner what they do with an item . If it was important to your son he should have said so to them.
I didn't say that it was important to my son, just that they didn't expect the couple to sell them. I suppose it's how you look at life and your expectations of others. Our son and dil will try to help anyone out. It's made them think about gifting to the couple again, they will probably do so as it's in their nature and the way they were brought up.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I didn't say that it was important to my son, just that they didn't expect the couple to sell them. I suppose it's how you look at life and your expectations of others. Our son and dil will try to help anyone out. It's made them think about gifting to the couple again, they will probably do so as it's in their nature and the way they were brought up.
Your son and DIL are certainly better people than me. I wouldn’t give them a teabag again.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

I had a toy up for £2. Someone offered that but then wanted me to deliver 45km away!
Old 12 Apr 21, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I would have a very low opinion of someone who went on to sell something that they were given for free to help them out. That’s really bad form and it shouldn’t have to be spelled out to them for them to know this. There are some very odd people in the world if they think this would be acceptable.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I often give stuff away because it's perfectly useable but not perfect enough to ask money for. I state this on the advert but I still get people turn up and say "Oh I don't want that it's got a mark/crack/discolour" and I feel like saying "What do you expect for free when it would be £50+ in mint condition?"
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List