Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Apr 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
smallgingerone
Earning More Ears

Best phone network for travelling to US

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but...

I need to buy a phone that i can use in Disney for MDE etc on site (at the minute I do not have a smart phone as no need), so I am new to the whole world of data usage.

Which networks are good/cheap once you are in the US or have good add ons? Any that you would recommend against?

Thank you!
smallgingerone is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
SamShakes
Helping Mickey

Im with three, they allow you to use your allowances while abroad at no extra cost! It’s saved me loads over the years! (I travelled to America for work a lot) 👍
SamShakes is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes I’m with 3 as well although I do have use a pre pay sim from Walmart when I’m out for 6/8 weeks just for the parks etc
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m with Vodafone and have it included in my package too. It’s been invaluable for our last 2 holidays
June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

3 definitely, use their data over there exactly the same as if at home.
👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m with Vodafone, last time I had the data usage included in my package, next time I’m going to ring them and add it on for our trip. We always used to get a 3 SIM card and use a spare phone but much easier now our own network has the options.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

I'm with EE, and my contract allows roaming in USA too. But If you don't have this its available as an add on for a month the reduce back to your normal monthly payment
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
hushabyepie
Getting Excited

I'm with O2 and have a the O2 travel inclusive bolt on as part of my package (they do a couple of different travel bolts ons so just check whats included) - its gives gives me 120 mins, 120 texts and then data per day. Just means I can use my phone away as a I would at home.

I'm not sure how much it costs though as I always include it as my free extra whenever I upgrade my contract.

Edited at 10:01 AM.
hushabyepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

We use Three sim only and its included with our package. We don't use smartphones much (I can't see apps easily as I'm partially sighted). Mainly texts and calls. But Three has been great for our needs, and was a godsend with all the calls we needed to make when we got stuck out there last March when Covid kicked off. Essentially you have whatever package you have at home, calls home to the UK are free but local calls in the USA have to be paid for, but we were able to use the villa phone for those.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Are you buying one just for your trip?

As above then. Any modern smartphone will have required bands for Florida . Just comes down to budget then. £50 will buy you a second hand Samsung xcover 4 tough phone that is pretty much indestructible or you can buy an iPhone at £1200. Or something in between.

Stick a PAYG 3 SIM in it with the top up on it ( currently a tenner for 6gb which is plenty ) and off you go.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List