Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Minimal amount in cash exchanged before going and then just some whilst out there.

Cloning risk is actually quite low if you are sensible and probably similar to all of the risks of cash from dropping it to theft and robbery.

The US is slowly shifting to chip and pin and can't remember the last time that anyone tried to take the card out of my sight. Never had anyone try to change the amount later either.

Places will make customers aware if they cannot take card payments so the risk of being caught out there is also very low.

Fuel is about the only place I use cash and that is only really because some make it hard to use non US cards and therefore easier to just use cash.

Convenience outweighs the risk in most cases.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Also thinking as we ve been using cash a lot less in the uk due to the pandemic it might be the same in the US - discouraging cash
That's something I hadn't thought of to be honest. I know they suspended cash payments at toll plazas for a while and I'm not sure what they do now.

Maybe angelbabe, DonnaD or State 27 might help?

Mick
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That's something I hadn't thought of to be honest. I know they suspended cash payments at toll plazas for a while and I'm not sure what they do now.

Maybe angelbabe, DonnaD or State 27 might help?

Mick
Would be good to hear, I just don’t think other countries have adopted the ‘less cash’ like the UK has?
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I will always carry some cash, if nothing else but for tips.

As most know, tips are assessed for tax purposes by revenue and therefore any staff would much prefer them to be offered in an ‘unaccountable’ manner in order that the tax calculation might be reduced for next year. To me, a tip is a gift for good service and therefore should not be taxed.

Certain sectors like greenbacks, just like certain parts of the U.K. economy are keen on pound notes (albeit for more nefarious reasons).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:14 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
Agree with the above, we take cash and just split it out for our days, Anything big goes on Barclaycard thats fraud protected etc.

I'm also in agreement that i hate when they disappear in with my card to swipe it in the back or wherever they go..

Cash all the way from us, within insurance limits though.
A bit like us. Main supply goes into safe. Our average daily eating is around $100 which we take out and any left over goes into a kitty envelope for gas, Publix etc.

Mick
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We took all cash last time for Disney car parking in an envelope as it somehow didn’t feel as bad that way 😕

Edited at 09:25 AM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our first trip we were on a tight budget and only took cash for everything
Every visit it’s got less and less
I've got no issue with using credit cards for big shopping trips, hotel bills etc.

But meals and small purchases will usually always be cash.

Also much easier to send the kids into Starbucks with a 20 rather than a card, after all if they screw it up it's only 20 bucks gone
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
We took all cash last time for Disney car parking in an envelope as it somehow didn’t feel as bad that was 😕
That's a distant memory from about 17 or 18 trips ago in 2010. How much is it these days? $100 a day?

Mick
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That's a distant memory from about 17 or 18 trips ago in 2010. How much is it these days? $100 a day?

Mick
Ha give it time and it will get to that no doubt
Think it was $25 each time so we had $250 ready 😟

Side note- why on Earth do you need to pay for parking at fort wilderness- they all have a space next to each cabin anyway

Edited at 09:24 AM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Ha give it time and it will get to that no doubt
Think it was $25 each time so we had $250 ready 😟
Is it true that you have to book a fastpass slot for the WDW restrooms now but a maximum of 90 days out?

Mick