Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Apr 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Wot no Disney - Well just a smidgeon - July 2018 mainly offsite trip report - Day 9

Wot no Disney - Well just a smidgeon - July 2018 mainly offsite trip report - Day 8

Index is here

Wednesday 11th July - Welcome to the Universe

I know, I know…. Move day to Universal, you would be expecting to see us checked out at 8 and off up to RPR so we can use early entry. I hate to disappoint but if you’ve ever read any of my other trip reports you’d see the theme that we are lazy and not great morning people. (although since lockdown we’ve been better and even started some days with sunrise walks, that won’t transfer to our holidays though I don’t think).

So it was a lazy morning apart from the stressful part of finishing packing up to head to Universal. Too many mint m&ms and foaming hand soaps to fit in the cases...

We had breakfast in the hotel. The buffet at Cafe Mattise. It was $13.95 pp but kids prices are up to 12 so $6.95 for ds and we had a 25% off voucher so it was a good deal and I’d eat here again..

Food was lovely, good choices and an omelette station, Ds was beyond excited by this and was fascinated watching them cook his omlette.

We left the Rosen Plaza about 11am and were checked into RPR by about 11.30. The room was not ready, I was really eager to see what the club level set up was like so we headed up to the lounge to organise our stuff and grab a soda.

The lounge looked lovely and the staff were really friendly. They had a picture up of the menu for food this evening.
We stopped off at guest services here to ask about upgrading our tickets but they said we had to do it in the park.

We walked into the parks as we were heading for IOA. Club level is in tower 3, which is my favourite tower as the lift takes you right down to the pool and out to the boat deck or walking path. The walk does not take long.

We went straight to guest services at IOA to enquire about upgrading the 14 day tickets. We only wanted to upgrade to 2 park tickets, we had 3 park tickets. The team members told us that if you visit volcano bay a 3 park upgrade is the only option but as we had not the 2 park ticket option was fine.

Volcano bay is blocked out for the whole of July unless you have a premier pass. We felt for us the additional $100 each was just not worth it. We had already decided we were upgrading to 2 preferred passes and a power pass so the sooner we did it the sooner our discounts would start. The seasonal pass was not an option for us as July is always blocked out. Ds and I were visiting again in April so we needed preferred and as we will all be back next July so Dh could get by with a power one.

So it cost $197 for the 3 of us including tax. The receipt shows the breakdown if this is useful. This would cover another 2 holidays for Ds and I and another holiday for Dh so an absolute bargain before you even added in what savings the discounts would give us.

We had bought a 5 day Black Friday deal for My Amazing Photos for $59, so we headed into the photo shop to activate that. As we were staying for 7 days and now have annual passes I thought I’d ask about upgrading this.
They decided the best deal was to keep our 5 day pass and all the prints that came with that and set it up so that when the 5 day one expired an annual photo pass would start. They charged us $79 which was the 1 day in park price or the last passholder special offer price that they had had on but had now expired for the annual photo pass.

I was happy with that as it would cover the rest of this trip, April and the following summer.

First up we rode Spider-Man which was an hour wait, we were less than 10 minutes with express. Off to a good start.

Next up we bought a refillable mug with my first AP discount. It’s the little things, Ds was feeling very happy with himself that his pass got discounts and Dh’s didn’t! Weird how times change, if you’d told me or Dh that we would be annual passholders for Universal when we first visited together in 1999, we would have thought you were mad!

On to Kong which was 65 minutes but nearly 20 minutes wait with express pass, then we headed our via grabbing an icee for our cup.

I’d have been more than happy to stay in the parks but Dh was having a wee hufty about wanting to watch the game so we left and headed to Citywalk. It was on the big screen outside NBC but it was absolutely roasting and NBC bar and grill was heaving, with 60 names on the waitlist for tables so we got the boat to RPR.

Dh was extremely unimpressed with us by this point and as our room wasn’t ready yet we went to Jakes. It was busy but we got a table ok, Dh remained in a bit of a grumpy mood. Dh and I had a couple of beers, Ds a Fanta and we shared the topped fries which were nice. Dh still refers to Jakes as the place with the horrid food which he has recently admitted was more due to his sulking than the food itself.

Luckily while we were there we got the text to say our room was ready and headed back to reception at half time to pick up our keys and arrange to get the luggage sent up.

We watched extra time in the room and Dh’s mood improved a little. The room was lovely. It was great to see Aventura in the distance as we had just booked for Easter before heading off on this trip and we would be spending a few nights at Aventura.

I unpacked a little and we got organised and changed and headed along to the club level lounge about 4.30pm. Ds and dh enjoyed the mac and cheese, I don’t eat that but enjoyed some salad and cheese and biscuits. A glass of wine for me, a beer for Dh and Sprite for Ds. We filled the mug with a Diet Coke for walking into Citywalk.

Headed into Universal this evening.

The park was fairly busy, we got in around 7. We did Minions and then saw the little parade coming past.

Our main thing we wanted to do tonight was Diagon Alley. We went to see the night bus, Ds is a bit shy and I think feels really self-conscious when he needs to speak to the characters but he was happy enough this evening decked out in his Asda Ravenclaw robe. He tried out some spells as well, I always have trouble with these but he manages better than I can. Gringotts express line was fairly empty but it still always takes a while. More spells, including the favourite one to make it rain, and more photos were in order before we left.

After we rode Men in Black and the Simpsons. The Simpsons seems to take ages these days, express or not.

We left at close and I was hungry as I hadn’t had any pasta earlier. We thought about Red Oven Pizza but it was really only me that wanted something. Ds was chomping at the bit to go back to the hotel. Fine for him with his full pasta tummy, I was cranky.

We ended up at Hot Dog Hall of Fame and I had a Colorado with fries. The lovely server refilled my mug with sprite.

The hot dog was pretty good and shockingly enough, when Ds saw it he wanted me to share so he ended up having some too.

We walked back to RPR at a very slow pace, having had a great day.

Steps: 19k

Highlights - we all agreed the highlight was Gringotts.

Edited at 09:38 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good change over day

Joan
Old 14 Apr 21, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Mobile

Another great day plus you checked into my favourite hotel absolutely love RPR especially club level.
Lovely photos in Diagon Alley too
Old 14 Apr 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Great day, thanks for posting. Love Universal and RPR, can’t wait to get back there 🤞🥰
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good change over day

Joan
Thanks Joan, even though we were not on the go early it worked out well. Just the football that interfered.

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Another great day plus you checked into my favourite hotel absolutely love RPR especially club level.
Lovely photos in Diagon Alley too
Thanks. RPR is lovely. It is all over my time line as ds and I were there with one of my friends 2 years ago today.

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Great day, thanks for posting. Love Universal and RPR, can’t wait to get back there 🤞🥰
thanks for reading. Can't wait to be back as well. We were discussing next summer today and a week at RPR was something the 3 of us agreed would be great to include.
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
We love RPR, it’s our favourite resort to stay at, so good to see a smooth moving day. I love your outfits, looking very smart in your Harry Potter gear.

Hot dog hall of fame is such a great spot, quick and cheap (for universal) with lots of choice. You managed to do loads and you just can’t go wrong with Club Level.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
We love RPR, it’s our favourite resort to stay at, so good to see a smooth moving day. I love your outfits, looking very smart in your Harry Potter gear.

Hot dog hall of fame is such a great spot, quick and cheap (for universal) with lots of choice. You managed to do loads and you just can’t go wrong with Club Level.
We had had a week at RPR club level booked for July 2020, hopefully we will get back next year, fingers crossed. What resorts have you got planned for your next trip?
Old 29 Apr 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
We had had a week at RPR club level booked for July 2020, hopefully we will get back next year, fingers crossed. What resorts have you got planned for your next trip?
Like you we had a week of club level booked but it was for August 2020. We did postpone it to August 2021 but have now postponed it again until August 2022. We do have a week booked for Sissi in Crete in July this year but I’m not sure it’s going to happen either. We really miss our holidays. Xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Like you we had a week of club level booked but it was for August 2020. We did postpone it to August 2021 but have now postponed it again until August 2022. We do have a week booked for Sissi in Crete in July this year but I’m not sure it’s going to happen either. We really miss our holidays. Xx
It would be nice to have a wee change of scenery. We have a cottage holiday booked for summer which should be lovely. Have Greece talked about foreign visitors and their requirements? I’ve not even had a letter about the vaccine yet although Dh gets his first one this week, I think Scotland is way behind.

We were chatting last night about doing something in October but I don’t know what.

Hopefully we can all get back travelling at some point.