Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Apr 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I hope I’m not at the airport with some of you lot!

All meant in the nicest way
Haha I was thinking the same, some grumpy people on here. You're going on your holidays!

Little ones all excitedly pulling their own little suitcase and everybody else giving them the evil eye! 🤣🤣

You do know that all those others getting on your nerves are also excitedly going on their holidays!

Again all meant in the nicest way!

Happy holidays!
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
People that take half their belongings in hand luggage , and then take forever trying to get their iPad out of the bag.

Kids on trunki’s .. most annoying things ever , if the parents don’t end up carrying them , the kid are ramming into people’s ankles !

Not watching kids especially near the luggage belts , the whole family does not need to stand there .
To be fair to the iPad people this is the airlines fault. If they hadn't made taking a checked bag (or even a proper sized cabin bag) so prohibitively expensive people wouldn't need to stuff their hand luggage full.

I can fit a week's worth of stuff in my cabin luggage, in the past I would have put it in the hold and just had passport, money and ipad in the cabin but for £74 each way on ryanair for a checked bag, then it's all going in cabin baggage
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Haha I was thinking the same, some grumpy people on here. You're going on your holidays!

Little ones all excitedly pulling their own little suitcase and everybody else giving them the evil eye! 🤣🤣

You do know that all those others getting on your nerves are also excitedly going on their holidays!

Again all meant in the nicest way!

Happy holidays!
It's worth pointing out that 80% of the people you see at an airport are not going on their holidays - it's people travelling for work or absolute necessity.

I really hate flying to Venice (do a lot of work there) as every time I get off the plane they say "have a nice holiday".

I travel the route so often they know me by name/sight (maybe even smell) but still when disembarking they go into "robot mode" and wish you a great holiday.

Knowing you are just about to walk into an 8 hour meeting is not made any more fun by being reminded almost everyone else is there on vacation
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

There has only ever been one person who REALLY ticked me off in an airport and it was a member of the security staff at Leeds Bradford. First time flying domestic and alone, confident but nervous. They were operating some kind of weird zipper queue system - 2 lines of people for one scanner. So I'm paying vigorous attention trying to figure out how it works, with no luck. Sometimes one person from each line alternates, sometimes multiple from one line then multiple from another.

I reach the front of the queue and the security guy says "next" and looks above my head. So I'm wondering if he means me - look left and the other guy at the front of the other line isn't moving. Huh, must mean me. I walk forward and what happens? The security guy loudly says "SORRY SIR (looking at the other gentleman who has now begun moving) *THIS MAN* (looks at me) won't wait his turn!"

So here I am, looking like a right muppet. Walk back a couple of paces (I hadn't made it far) and basically stew in shame and anger. It's been over a year and it still annoys me - I'm a very rule following person and don't like the feeling I was misbehaving. Still, I maintain the security procedures there were absolutely bonkers, couldn't make heads or tails of how it worked.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lardyboy View Post
This is part of the reason I'm not allowed to talk in security. I was really interested in the mechanics of the 'liquids bombers' when they had their failed (farcically bad) plan. As a result I found out that the process they would have had to go through to bring chemicals to make an explosive onto a plane, and not to be detected, would have been so difficult and required such large containers of liquids that it was basically impossible to do without everyone being able to see, without even needing an x-ray machine. ...
Really? I remember seeing a video from reputable sources which showed the damage done by the same formula and size of ingredients being tested against a de-commissioned aircrafts fuselage. The hole produced at sea-level was impressive enough. Multiplied by the difference in pressure at altitude, it would certainly have been enough to cause catastrophic failure.
As for the plan being laughable, I can only assume that you work for some government organisation and are privy to all the details and therefore are in breach of the Official Secrets act. Either that or you're are speculating rather than acting from a point of knowledge.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
I don’t normally get peeved at others but the one time I did was by immigration control at Newark airport. We were all lined up waiting to be called forward and 3 immigration officers had pulled a lady out of the queue, they were questioning her and her family. They were mocking the way she was talking, laughing at her and we’re just being plain, well I was going to say rude but it was way worse than that. They then waved her back in line with a flip of their hands still laughing at her. You could see she was mortified and furious at the same time.

I coughed quite loudly to try to say, look there are people here witnessing your behaviour but they just looked right at me, laughed again and wandered off. I really do wonder why many immigration officers are so rude.

Edit: Not sure if it means anything but forgot to mention the lady was wearing a partial hijab, not covering her face at all.

Edited at 11:00 AM.
levtweeney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
lardyboy
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
All they would have needed is two chemicals in containers the size of a coke can. My DD is a chemistry graduate who did a special project in explosives. We had a visit from some gentlemen from a Government Security department due to her internet research.
The chemicals used by the 'liquid bombers' would have required considerably more and would have had to be mixed in a bowl surrounded by ice, a pipette full at a time to prevent them catching alight. Not saying that your daughter's research wasn't right, just that it wasn't applicable to the original situation
lardyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
lardyboy
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Really? I remember seeing a video from reputable sources which showed the damage done by the same formula and size of ingredients being tested against a de-commissioned aircrafts fuselage. The hole produced at sea-level was impressive enough. Multiplied by the difference in pressure at altitude, it would certainly have been enough to cause catastrophic failure.
As for the plan being laughable, I can only assume that you work for some government organisation and are privy to all the details and therefore are in breach of the Official Secrets act. Either that or you're are speculating rather than acting from a point of knowledge.
No, I had a very close relative who was a demolitions expert for the military
lardyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Those who have no patience or consideration for others, I know those people exist everywhere but I feel its magnified at airports.
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Seats are my issue at the airport, whilst waiting to be called for the boarding gate. Putting their bags or coats on the next empty seat stopping someone using it. I find it awkward having to ask if the seat is free or not, same as in boarding area. As others have said, queuing at the boarding gate the minute they get there, ages before they are actually called to the gate.

The minute the plane touches down you can hear many seat belts being undone then they block the aisles busting a gut to get off.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List