Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Apr 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We always take cash. Even worse, we’re known for taking TCs 😂 never paid with them, just change up at reception. We tend to favour cash abroad.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I use CC for everything these days. I get a MUCH better exchange rate on my card and dont have a budget as such - I check online each day (as I do in the UK) and monitor my spends, it really isnt much more than I expect as I am a man of routine and know what I want and want i dont . Works for me - cant remember the last time I needed a dollar bill (except for tips - and I take a wad of $1 and $5 with me for that purpose from ICE )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Minimal amount of cash these days I seek out quarters for tolls and everything else is on card(s)
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Latics
Apprentice Imagineer

Latics's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This will be our first year where we’ve got a NatWest reward account with no transaction fees, will be taking dollars for tipping and smaller purchases
Latics is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by alisonjones View Post
I couldn't not take cash - I love getting my dollars and smelling them
I have to agree with you 100%
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

What’s the contactless limit in Florida please?
Katnic1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Katnic1 View Post
What’s the contactless limit in Florida please?
I believe it’s $100

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I'm in the "take minimal cash" camp on this one. I probably take about $300 + any dollars left over from previous trips - everything else goes on the JaJa (formerly Post Office) credit card. No transaction fees.

I just work on the premise that if cash is lost / stolen, it's gone (when over the insurance limit). Keeping it in an in-room safe is next to useless, I've seen how fast they can be opened by someone with the right gadget (think about 15 seconds). If a credit card is lost / stolen, it's not my money the crooks are spending and a card can be stopped very quickly.

I fully understand the "card out of your sight" bit in restaurants - we only eat in reputable places where the risk of cloning is pretty low. On my last visit (Nov 2019) pretty much everywhere, bar restaurants, were on chip & PIN. Certainly the outlets all were, as were Publix, Wal-Mart, 7-11 gas stations etc.

Do not rely on a single credit card though - just in case your main one gets blocked for whatever reason. Two transactions in the same restaurant in short space of time is enough. Pay for pre-dinner drinks at the bar on your card [low amount] then an hour later try to pay for the meal [high amount] can trigger fraud systems. They see the first transaction as being the test one to ensure the card is good, then whack it with a high-value transaction.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List