Home improvements 37 12.46%
Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jul 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Virgin package flight, car and hotel (Clarion Maingate) £2,800 leaving £2,200 for spending money. Admittedly we don't do the Parks nowadays.
Old 25 Jul 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Genuinely didn't know conservatories were still a thing.

I have them mentally filed in the 1980s along with white dog poo, black forest gateau, car window winders and the Toby Carvery.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d *rather* have a holiday but my home is an investment that needs looking after and I wouldn’t compromise that investment for “just” a holiday so mostly both but if it came to the crunch needed rather than wanted home improvements come first.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Another element that has become clear as a result of the current climate is to have enough money in reserve to mitigate the risk of situations like we have just had. Does and if so where does that fit in priorities.

Personally I have always had the view that you should have a minimum of 6 months living costs available and not commited to anything. That would be my priority.

Edited at 11:30 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Virgin package flight, car and hotel (Clarion Maingate) £2,800 leaving £2,200 for spending money. Admittedly we don't do the Parks nowadays.
Is that for 4?
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Is that for 4?
No, two but hotel car and flight still only £3.400 for4, agree the spending money and tickets bump the price up but you did say a Florida holiday for £11,00 with no specifics

Edited at 02:45 PM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

For me it would be age related

This is me:

Age 23- Spend spend spend on holidays all over the world

Age 27- Bought my first house on my own - upped my overtime and still did bits to the house and holidayed Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc

Age 29- Bought a bigger house ( still on my own ) cut down to one holiday a year and maybe a city break

Age - 38 Bought a bigger house ( on my own ) Partner moved in , ramped up the overtime and the holidays !

Age - 45 ...Kept going on holidays started going to Florida, bought a conservatory

Age now - 52 - 20+ holidays to the USA and no more overtime DH is now Husband and a tradesman so get most jobs done for free, we both drive old but good cars and our house needs nothing major doing to it

Future -> Age 55 pay off Mortgage , fingers crossed our health remains good...think about downsizing house but may just stay where we are and keep travelling

Three to four weeks in Florida usually cost around £3-4K but we never stay on Disney property
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Genuinely didn't know conservatories were still a thing.

I have them mentally filed in the 1980s along with white dog poo, black forest gateau, car window winders and the Toby Carvery.
How cheeky I am sat in mine now, admittedly its a half brick one so not all glass
I love it , I have wifi, Tv and leather chair and it looks onto the garden I have a snoozy cat sat on his leather pouffe next to me and I even sit in here in the winter with a blanket watching the night sky ( the roof is glass not open )
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
No, two but hotel car and flight still only £3.400 for4, agree the spending money and tickets bump the price up but you did say a Florida holiday for £11,00 with no specifics
The 11k was a random amount hubby just plucked out. Ours came to £8.5k for four for three weeks flights,car,villa, Disney which was the most expensive single thing really and then our expenses.
You got good deal with virgin tho. Mine was £4.2 without Disney this year and next year for some time is ridiculous money.

I was just being nosy cos it was such a good price.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

If I were younger I would choose a home improvement, but most of my house was 'improved' when I was. Having lost my first husband very young after spending on home improvements I would now always go for a holiday and lovely memories.