Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

It's so hard to plan or get excited

I love Florida holidays , Disney and Universal, and have been many times over the last 26 years

This year was it have been the first trip with the grandchildren. Myself and OH, 2 daughters, one son in law, 3 grandchildren. 10, 7, and the little one was to celebrate his 4th birthday in the Magic Kingdom. We were to spend 2 weeks there in a villa over the school Easter holidays.

First we lost Thomas Cook flights, managed to book KLM/Virgin flights -and the rest you know!
We got so close. The children had all started their 30 day Disney holiday countdown charts. Lockdown came and far from all being together in a villa and the theme park for GS2's birthday, we could only see him on a screen
A familiar story and one we are hearing on the DIBB all the time, I know.

It was so hard to break the news to the children. We started to plan for October but soon got the feeling that would not be wise so fortunately didn't book anything (any of you who are booked for October, I hope I'm wrong and you get to go)

We decided to move our holiday by a year, going next Easter. Sadly our villa owner couldn't fit us in then, but we did have all but the deposit refunded. We have now also been refunded from KLM for the air fares.
We took the plunge and booked another villa for next March/April. The balance to be paid at the beginning of next year. We haven't yet booked any flights, as everything seems so unknown at the moment.
Our Disney tickets have been extended to September 2021, so if we do got next Easter, no problem.

The question no one can answer is will we be able to go next spring? I change constantly from being certain we will go, to certain we won't. It is 7 months away, so anything could happen really.
I have booked our Disney park days in case we do go.

We can't get excited, can't plan, and will have to come to some decision on this by early January when the villa balance is due.

I know all we DIBBers love to plan and anticipate our holidays, so this is a strange sort of limbo state to be in.
We have all agreed to really play it down to the children this time, probably until we actually go!

Edited at 05:15 PM.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

I know, it’s so frustrating isn’t it? Might seem like first world problems to a lot of people but I imagine most people on the Dibb feel exactly the same. For me, a large part of the holiday is all the fun of planning. I feel at a loss without constantly watching blogs/ dining reviews etc.
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
su708
VIP Dibber

Oh I feel your pain 😕 we are desperate to 're book for next Easter but don't want to take the plunge in case we get let down again, it's so miserable not being able to plan & look forward to a Disney trip, I'm just praying the vaccination comes thus year, as I think it's our only way out xx
su708 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
shazza1961
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep same, we have pushed our trip back to August 2021, however I usually love the planning, despite going almost annually since 1996... but this time I just cannot muster up any enthusiasm... i think its the not knowing 😕 will there be a vaccine.. will they still require face masks 😷 (this is a big one for me as I wont be able to manage August heat and mask, so we would cancel) xx
shazza1961 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

I know exactly how you feel sadly.

We should be there right now. I’m so hoping that our trip will go ahead next August instead. One minute, I feel quite positive about it, then the next minute I read something and it’s all thrown into doubt again.

I feel so down at the moment as we should be enjoying the magic - I could cope better if I knew we’d definitely be there next year.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yes we’ve just told a fed up 7 year old we won’t be going this October. Knew it was coming, but even so. Would be so nice to cushion the blow slightly by booking for next year, and then being able to plan, but although we can book everything either fully cancelable or through BAs book with confidence the risk of a last minute hitch is too much to book.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

Your story is in many ways similar to ours. Rebooked to July 2021, flights too in our case... but can’t rustle up any excitement 😢

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Whoppery5k
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Went for our once in a life time trip last year, said we would go again next summer but just can't find the energy to start planning.
Just almost seems pointless as I don't feel confident August next year will go ahead.
But we are running out of time, our children are already between 10-15 years of age now.
How many do we really have left
Whoppery5k is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Me too 🙁
Rebooked flights and Disney but gutted no dining plan, and really don’t know what to expect - not looking forward to masks, no parades, no fireworks etc.
We had to cancel in 2018 too as my son was gravely ill, so I take heart that this time at least it’s not because he is unwell!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

We should be there now! Honestly I’m devastated! I’m dying to book for next year but just don’t know what to do?