Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 24 Feb 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Gammon joint cooked in coke

I am going to attempt to cook a large gammon joint in coke, in the slow cooker tomorrow.
It’s actually diet pepsi (I prefer pepsi to coke)
Has anyone tried this? Any tips?
There are a few variations online. Some just put the joint in the slow cooker, fill until covered with coke and cook for 6-8 hours.
Another said to boil the gammon in water for 12 mins and repeat to reduce the salt.
Another mentioned adding other items like spices etc

Does it need boiling in water first? Or can I just bang it in the slow cooker?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

I have done this, but I don't think you use Diet Coke or Pepsi, it has to be the full fat one...
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Diet Coke & don’t boil it first and it comes out fine. I cook on low for 8-9 hrs.

Maybe I need to change to full fat to get the full taste 😂. Watching for other responses.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I am going to attempt to cook a large gammon joint in coke, in the slow cooker tomorrow.
There are a few variations online. Some just put the joint in the slow cooker, fill until covered with coke and cook for 6-8 hours.
Another said to boil the gammon in water for 12 mins and repeat to reduce the salt.

Suggest you might get more replies in the Food, Wine and Cooking Threads on the Dibb - its really good for ideas too
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
I use both, full fat is sweeter. At Christmas l did Fanta orange, it was amazing.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post

Hi Tilly, I took the decision to soak the gammon overnight in cold water. Rinsed well and the slo-cooked with Pepsi, not Max or diet.

Good luck and enjoy
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Don't use diet drinks. Use full coke and it will be fantastic
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I soak mine in a pan over night to get rid of any saltiness, I boil mine for 3 hours in coke or Pepsi and a onion. Then I cut of a layer of fat and smear on some brown sugar and honey and criss cross the fat and roast for another 30 mins. It turns out lovely but we have it cold and it lasts for a week.
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

I've cooked this lots my family love gammon done this way. I buy cheap cola full sugar is better simply plonk the gammon in the slow cooker pour the 2 litres of cola over it and cook all day on low. Leave it to rest an hour before carving. I think the sugary cola draws the salt out of the gammon so no need to boil beforehand. I also learnt from Mary Berry if you wrap the left over gammon in foil it keeps for a month in the fridge. I am lucky if it lasts for 2 days mind in my house 😂
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I don’t soak first but I put a couple of chopped carrots and onions in the bottom of the pot before I put the gammon in just to raise it off the bottom and to stop it drying out, pour full fat coke or Pepsi over it and cook on slow to 4-6 hours depending on the size of the joint.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List