Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 3 Mar 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Being healthy in Orlando

With everything that's happened over the last few months many people are now taking much better care of our own personal health.

I would say overall I am pretty healthy, play a multitude of sports, eat well and generally train 5-6 times per week.

Another thread got me thinking about eating/exercise in orlando, as a DIBB member had said about eating healthy and training out there.

For me the walking is enough and generally I am knackered after a day on my feet all day but it would be good to have a thread with people's suggestions exercise/food/restaurants etc to promote healthy living whilst there.

Don't get me wrong I have my vices (beer being the main one) but all in moderation hey?
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
When at the Beach Club I often go out for morning runs, essentially lapping from close to the International Gateway (there are closed gates when the park itself has yet to open) along the waterway to Hollywood Studios, and back again.

There are also some pavements out the front of the Yacht/Beach Club and Swan/Dolphin too.

I've done the same at Old Key West - generally getting lost, and Coronado Springs.

It's certainly easier to do early on in the holiday when my body clock is still adjusting to the timezone and I'm awake too early and don't have much else to do!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Dave runs around the big lake a few times every other day and drives to Claremont for Park Run.
I do water aerobics in my pool. Sometimes.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree that the walking, swimming etc all help, for me the hardest part is resisting the yummy food. I try not to have fries with everything, and often swap the fries & coleslaw for vegetables and jacket potatoes. I can skip dessert, or just have a bite of OH's, the one thing I cant resist is an ice cold beer in the sun, or a cocktail, so I dont even try to resist them, it is a holiday after all (thats what I tell myself!).

Tamsen
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
I never feel the need to do extra exercise when we are there as we are extremely active - swimming, and walking over 8 miles a day
8 miles would be very much a "rest day" for me.

I just checked, and the last time I took fewer than 10,000 steps in a day was January 11th 2020 so, without explicitly trying to exceed that number, I have exceeded 10,000 steps in a day for 416 days in a row.

Yesterday was a typical day for me with dog walks and a run. I took 25,500 steps and between walking and running covered over 15 miles.

Given the food I eat and booze I drink when I'm on holiday, a day of standard park walking would just not cancel out what I'm consuming.

Beyond that, I enjoy running. I'm sitting here typing this right now, really looking forward to my daily run later this afternoon!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I definitely don't feel the need to do extra exercise when in WDW, since I usually hit around 20,000 steps a day there!

Plus, the last time I went to WDW, I did the Wine and Dine half marathon weekend, so running a 5k/10k/21k (on top of all the walking around) was enough exercise for the 2 weeks I was there!

I find getting healthy food a bit harder as there is so much delicious unhealthy food at WDW. Possibly the more healthy options I've had would be from Satuli in Pandora (not sure how healthy it actually is but it feels healthier than average) and some of the salad options at buffets.
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I will opt for the healthier options when I fancy it (and that is quite often as I get sick of greasy food quickly) - eg one of my favourite meals from last trip was Satuli canteen. But equally some days I fancy a burger and chips and an ice cream and I have it, because that's what holidays are for!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Me & Hubbie love to exercise & on my planning for holidays I also plan our training, sad I know.
We’ll do a 5 mile run every few days with the jet lag usually at 5am 🙊
Then we’ll do the gym a couple of times too
We always put on weight, me usually half a stone & Hubbie sometimes a stone 😳we don’t drink, but it’s surprising even with the running & all that walking we put on so so much 🙄🤣🤣🤣
But we do pig out I’ll try not to drink too much Coke as that bloats & gives me indigestion.
I think our US holidays are like an All inclusive
The weight is soon lost in a week or so when we ditch the pancakes donuts burgers & cheesecake
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
8 miles would be very much a "rest day" for me.
Last time I did between 15 and 20 miles a day!
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Being healthy on a WDW holiday?!?!?!? Hmm, is that a thing?!

We eat healthily at home but when in Florida that goes out the window.
Mainly because we’re on holiday but also because I’ve found it very hard to find healthier options at restaurants. The amount of sugar the Americans use is mind blowing and would explain their obesity problem I guess.

Thinking about it, one of the best places we found for some really healthy, fresh, vegetable-laden options was Bahama Breeze. Their fish tacos were fab.