Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 3 Mar 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

monkfish recipe ideas

gor me some monkfish from costco yesterday. i've never cooked with it before (and havent really eaten it either, i may have tried it once or twice, but cant really remember)

anyway. does anyone have a nice recipe i can make with it they care to suggest? a cursory google isnt really inspiring me...

couldnt sleep last night, so at midnight last niht, i was in the kitchen making a compound butter to go with it...

its butter, garlic, lots of pepper (black, white *and* cornish 4 pepper mix), dill and lemon and has firmed up nicely in the fridge overnight.

the plan is to put one into a bag whole with a bunch of the butter, vacuum seal, then sous vide it at 155f for an hour to gently poach it in the lemonpepperbutter. remove from the bath, decant the cooking liquid into a pan, where it will reduce back down to a browned fishy butter sauce where i just add shallots and re-balance the seasoning, i'll then brown the fish slightly and baste in the sauce, served with steamed veg (probably green beans, petits pois and tenderstem broccoli)

should i remove the spine before putting in the bag to cook, or cook it whole, then remove the bones?

any thoughts on other ways to prepare/serve? got another piece to use up (or freeze) so looking for inspiration!

i'm thinking maybe some sort of thai flavoured dish?

Edited at 01:02 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
gor me some monkfish from costco yesterday. i've never cooked with it before (and havent really eaten it either, i may have tried it once or twice, but cant really remember)

anyway. does anyone have a nice recipe i can make with it they care to suggest? a cursory google isnt really inspiring me...

couldnt sleep last night, so at midnight last niht, i was in the kitchen making a compound butter to go with it...

its butter, garlic, lots of pepper (black, white *and* cornish 4 pepper mix), dill and lemon and has firmed up nicely in the fridge overnight.

the plan is to put one into a bag whole with a bunch of the butter, vacuum seal, then sous vide it at 155f for an hour to gently poach it in the lemonpepperbutter. remove from the bath, decant the cooking liquid into a pan, where it will reduce back down to a browned fishy butter sauce where i just add shallots and re-balance the seasoning, i'll then brown the fish slightly and baste in the sauce, served with steamed veg (probably green beans, petits pois and tenderstem broccoli)

should i remove the spine before putting in the bag to cook, or cook it whole, then remove the bones?

any thoughts on other ways to prepare/serve? got another piece to use up (or freeze) so looking for inspiration!

i'm thinking maybe some sort of thai flavoured dish?
We had monkfish in an Italian restaurant once - in chunks with leeks, fresh tomatoes and olives (garlic infused olive oil, parsley and cracked black peppercorns drizzled over as a warm dressing). OMG it was amazing. Leeks and monkfish went so well together.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

hoping to nip down to the veg shop down the road for some shallots shortly, so much grab a leek to go in the browned butter sauce, ta!

*edit*
i now have shallots, leeks & baby spinach to go with the broccoli/peas/beans

Edited at 03:09 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

I made a pea and ham risotto with pan fried monkfish and crispy pancetta once. Absolutely delicious. It was on the good food website at the time
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Monkfish, once the skin and membrane is removed, is one of the whitest fish you can buy.

In the photo your fish is yellow. If it smells, of anything other than the sea really, then it is going off.

If it's just your photo then it is a very dry fish and must not be overcooked. E.g pieces the size you have could be pan fried in less than 5 minutes.

If you take the fillets off the bone a thai fish curry would be a good option.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Monkfish, once the skin and membrane is removed, is one of the whitest fish you can buy.

In the photo your fish is yellow. If it smells, of anything other than the sea really, then it is going off.

If it's just your photo then it is a very dry fish and must not be overcooked. E.g pieces the size you have could be pan fried in less than 5 minutes.

If you take the fillets off the bone a thai fish curry would be a good option.

i'm cooking them in a sous vide bath, so no danger of overcooking

and the yellow tint is just the white balance on my phone and the fluorescent tube in the garage

*edit*
here it is under normal kitchen lighting, in a bag with the compound butter, it's now in the water bath, turning it on in about half an hour, so itll be ready around 5ish when we want to eat

Edited at 04:16 PM.
Old 3 Mar 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We put monkfish on a bed of halved cherry tomatoes in a lasagne dish and then put pesto on top of the monkfish, sometimes with a bit of grated Parmesan. We then put more, halved cherry tomatoes up the sides and cook it under grease proof scrunched paper, before taking it off for the last few minutes.

As it tends to be fat at one end and skinny at the other, it can cook unevenly, so it is worth tucking back the thin bit in order to achieve a more uniform thickness of meat.

Nice with 1.5cm roasted potato slices (par boiled then roasted in Olive Oil).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

It makes a lovely thai curry. Just use one onion softened, one tablespoon of thai green curry paste, a can of coconut milk, some baby corn, sugarsnap peas or green beans, and gently simmer with chunks of monkfish for fifteen minutes, add some double cream if you like it creamier/milder.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
It makes a lovely thai curry. Just use one onion softened, one tablespoon of thai green curry paste, a can of coconut milk, some baby corn, sugarsnap peas or green beans, and gently simmer with chunks of monkfish for fifteen minutes, add some double cream if you like it creamier/milder.
after chatting to a couple of mates earlier, i'm pretty much decided on some sort of thai recipe for the other piece. but currently its in a ziploc bag in the freezer. maybe next week i'll update with what i decided on doing...
Old 3 Mar 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

et voila!

cooked in the sous vide bath with the compound butter (butter, garlic, dill, pepper and lemon all mashed together and then in the fridge overnight) for 60 mins at 155f

heres how it came out of the bag, you had to be really careful when handling, or it could all fall off the bone with the slightest mistake with the spatula...

poured the liquid from the cooking bag into a pan to reduce

add minced shallots and baby leek

when fully cooked, add a little extra seasoning if needed (in this case, some more pepper and some more lemon juice)

then just brown the fish a little to reheat (its been standing out for 15 mins while i got everything else ready)

served with parmesan and pepper potato slices and steamed veg

SO GOOD!