Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 14 Mar 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

We stayed in the Holiday inn express just down from Busch Gradens. Excellent hotel with an Olive Garden restaurant right next door. Offered a free shuttle to BG only a couple of mins drive away.
Katnic1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
We are booked for 2 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites right outside Busch.

Is the immediate area ok? We'd likely want to head out for a meal or something nearby each night. A little concerned now by the comments above!
I stayed there alone with my daughters in August 20. It is perfect for Busch Gardens and our room was immaculate. We had a free upgrade to a huge suite possibly because one of my daughters uses a wheelchair. The staff were friendly and I never felt unsafe. We went to the Olive Garden very close by and had no issues there either.

Is it a pretty touristy area? No, but if you are driving anyway and not wandering around I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried.

We had beggars outside the shops in our affluent village in a Hertfordshire. They didn't scare me there either.

I have also stayed in a hotel in Downtown Tampa and one in Ybor City with just my mum. We never felt unsafe there either.
Old 14 Mar 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Slore View Post
Hey!

I’m looking at spending a couple of days at Busch Gardens and have previously used the free shuttle from Sea World to do so. We don’t normally drive when away as can easily get around without the need.

I’ve thought about staying in the Tampa area but have a few questions please:

1. What’s the best way to get to the Tampa area from I-drive without a car?

2. Where is good to stay in Tampa that’s easy to get to Busch Gardens and close to some restaurants?

3. Is there anything else in Tampa that is a must do?

4. Beaches - Are there any around and easily accessible?

Many thanks!
For what you have in mind, a car is 100% your best option.
Old 14 Mar 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

We stayed at la Quinta inn and suites just next to Busch gardens - and walked to and from the park inc at night. We stopped at the McDonald's on the way back.

The hotel I wouldn't recommend although when we stayed it was being refurbished so perhaps it's better now.

The walk back in the dark felt fine. Lots of people around and we didn't feel at all threatened. That said the posts above have put me off doing again!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I worked in Tampa a few years ago and never felt anything other than safe (even when being English I was trying to walk places...). My parents came to visit and stayed in the Marriott water street which they said was very nice.

In terms of what to do other than beaches (which can be a bit of a torturous drive at the weekend) and Busch gardens there wandering around Ybor City and the aquarium is nice. The shopping was pretty good too and there’s a couple of sports stadiums if there are games on. Berns steakhouse is worth a visit, even if just for the experience. Bahama breeze is also lovely, right on the waterfront.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
I worked in Tampa a few years ago and never felt anything other than safe (even when being English I was trying to walk places...). My parents came to visit and stayed in the Marriott water street which they said was very nice.

In terms of what to do other than beaches (which can be a bit of a torturous drive at the weekend) and Busch gardens there wandering around Ybor City and the aquarium is nice. The shopping was pretty good too and there’s a couple of sports stadiums if there are games on. Berns steakhouse is worth a visit, even if just for the experience. Bahama breeze is also lovely, right on the waterfront.
I am not sure why Tampa is being made to sound like Miami in the 80's and dangerous for tourists.
Old 15 Mar 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It’s just planning stages at the minute to see viable options so will do some
more research!
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I am not sure why Tampa is being made to sound like Miami in the 80's and dangerous for tourists.
I guess we can all only report our own experiences and feelings. If you read TripAdvisor reviews for hotels in the area these feelings are substantiated by some reviewers.

As travellers we gain information from different places and make our own choices, we all have different experiences.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I guess we can all only report our own experiences and feelings. If you read TripAdvisor reviews for hotels in the area these feelings are substantiated by some reviewers.

As travellers we gain information from different places and make our own choices, we all have different experiences.
Fair enough but saying "it can be very dangerous for tourists" and advising staying a half an hour away at the beach instead of any area in Tampa is pretty harsh on what is actually a pretty popular city with plenty to offer tourists.
Old 15 Mar 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Fair enough but saying "it can be very dangerous for tourists" and advising staying a half an hour away at the beach instead of any area in Tampa is pretty harsh on what is actually a pretty popular city with plenty to offer tourists.
Donna, as I said before I would have a better experience staying at the beaches. I am not alone in that thought, I am happy for you and others to disagree, this is a forum for debate.

However, Tampa is one of the only US cities I have had a gun pulled on me, perhaps that colours my experience.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List