Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 8 Apr 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lansam18
Earning More Ears

Totally clueless and don’t know where to start

Hi,

I’m looking to book for me, my partner and my son who’ll be 9, nearly 10. I am looking at October 2022. I have absolutely NO idea where to start. Ideally we would want 2 rooms so I think that rules out Disney hotels unless we want to pay a couple of grand more. We both drive and would be willing to hire a car but I’m not sure about queues. I know parking comes at a charge. If we stayed off site I wouldn’t have a clue which areas are good, close etc.

Flight wise Aer Lingus look cheap? Are we best booking it all separately or as a package? Or where do I even start looking? Any help at all would be much appreciated

Thank you!
Lansam18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lansam18
Earning More Ears

Also I’m sorry if this is posted in the wrong section!
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lullington
Getting Excited

Hello, if you want two rooms you could look at getting a villa or apartment/suite ( Vista Cay, Floridays, Homewood suites etc depending on your budget) Some I drive hotels also have family suites with a bunk bed area in the room. This option can be quite reasonable and lots of the hotels have a free breakfast thrown in.
I usually book a package with Virgin but they were very expensive this year so have now booked flights and car through BA and I'm sorting my own accommodation ( flight & car together is still classed as a package with a low deposit). You would need to wait until October/November to book flights if you're going to do DIY
Staying on-site at Disney is great but without free dining etc it makes it a very expensive holiday for us.
Yes, you will need to factor in parking costs for the parks and possibly at the hotel but again there are many that offer free parking and some hotels have shuttle buses to the park ( some free/some paid for)
Personally, I would look at package prices first to gauge a price for your stay and then look at breaking it down to see what you could get it for if you sorted it all yourself.
Have a look at Virgin and see what their price is and if you like the look of any hotels they offer see what the prices are on booking.com etc ( I think you can only book 1 year in advance but you'll get an idea of the nightly price)
Hope this helps a little ...
Lullington is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Welcome to the DIBB and yes your post may be moved to "Florida trip planning"

We're lucky to have been nearly 40 times, always stay in a villa, always drive but have not spent a single night ever in a WDW hotel nor been to a park since 2010. May not be too much help as we're nothing like typical Dibbers.

As you move forward you may find splitting your questions into different categories - accommodation, cars etc.

We always fly direct from either MAN or LGW (which now may be LHR) and only ever book direct with the airline. Are you in the RoI to see AL prices or looking at MAN. We only ever fly direct but savings can be made indirect.

If you want 2 beds try a condo at Bahama Bay. Nice community with about 4 separate pools.

Book a car through a reputable UK broker to ensure you get proper insurance. You may not if booking through a USA site

Loads more to come if I get more ideas

Mick
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lansam18
Earning More Ears

Hi thank you so much for your reply! Really appreciate it. I have priced up a villa compared to a Disney hotel and because there’s only the 3 of us it works out roughly the same price. I would want to get the meal plan if we stayed on site but I’m not sure if they’re coming back/how expensive these usually are. Can I ask, do you usually stay of site then? What I’m a bit concerned about with a Disney hotel is having no space, no where to kind if escape to. Whereas normally in Spain in a hotel room you can explore the area and everywhere’s within walking distance but I’m assuming (maybe incorrectly!) that the area surrounding Disney isn’t a walkable place to explore?
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lansam18 View Post
Hi thank you so much for your reply! Really appreciate it. I have priced up a villa compared to a Disney hotel and because there’s only the 3 of us it works out roughly the same price. I would want to get the meal plan if we stayed on site but I’m not sure if they’re coming back/how expensive these usually are. Can I ask, do you usually stay of site then? What I’m a bit concerned about with a Disney hotel is having no space, no where to kind if escape to. Whereas normally in Spain in a hotel room you can explore the area and everywhere’s within walking distance but I’m assuming (maybe incorrectly!) that the area surrounding Disney isn’t a walkable place to explore?
WDW covers 47 square miles with hardly a footpath in sight
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lansam18
Earning More Ears

Great thanks. We’re about a hour from Manchester airport so would fly from there so that’s why I’m looking at AL.

Wow 40 times is amazing! I feel SO overwhelmed with all the options and don’t want to get it wrong! I’ll have a look at the suggestions now
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Great thanks. We’re about a hour from Manchester airport so would fly from there so that’s why I’m looking at AL.

Wow 40 times is amazing! I feel SO overwhelmed with all the options and don’t want to get it wrong! I’ll have a look at the suggestions now
AL only start from MAN this year so are only completing with Virgin for direct. Tui may fly from MAN but be careful as they are due to fly into Melbourne soon.

Our visits would have been more had we not lost 4 to cancer over the years and currently three to Covid. But we're still here thankfully at 75.

My favourite topic is car hire and driving though so I'll keep a look out for those questions. Absolutely hopeless on park and WDW hotel questions

Edited at 05:22 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lullington
Getting Excited

We have stayed on site the last few times and we loved it! It's a wonderful Disney bubble in my opinion
Look at Old Key West if you want an apartment on site but I don't think these are available to book until 11 months before your trip.
Disney transportation will get you to all of the parks and Disney Springs. We did a split stay before without a car and after the Disney stay got a taxi to Universal and stayed there for a few nights. You also have the option of using Uber too if you really didn't want to have a car. Saying that, if you do get a car there is so much more you can do and can come and go as you please. It all comes down to personal preference (and budget!)
Lullington is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lullington View Post
We have stayed on site the last few times and we loved it! It's a wonderful Disney bubble in my opinion
Look at Old Key West if you want an apartment on site but I don't think these are available to book until 11 months before your trip.
Disney transportation will get you to all of the parks and Disney Springs. We did a split stay before without a car and after the Disney stay got a taxi to Universal and stayed there for a few nights. You also have the option of using Uber too if you really didn't want to have a car. Saying that, if you do get a car there is so much more you can do and can come and go as you please. It all comes down to personal preference (and budget!)
The car -v- Uber debate comes up regularly on here. Whilst we never consider going without a car there's a very strong and genuine view (which I totally support) of not bothering hiring if you're staying on site. Paying for resort parking when you can rely on the comprehensive WDW transport system seems to be waste of money especially if you only want a couple of trips to Walmart and the mall. I'm sure that Uber is much better for those odd occasions.

Mick