Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Apr 21, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

5 people: Swan, Dolphin or Yacht Club?

Hi everyone.
We cancelled our 2020 trip which would have been our first Walt Disney World trip. Starting to think now about booking for end of August 2022. There are 5 of us - husband and I plus son who will be 22 and 2 daughters who will be 19 and 15.
Originally we wanted the same holiday - 1 room at Yacht Club for 9 nights - but now the children are all older it is starting to feel like it might feel a bit of a squeeze. Am also thinking of extending the stay to 11 nights. It's all feeling quite pricey without the free dining so adding a second room as well as the extra nights feels excessive.
Really like the location so am now looking at Swan and Dolphin as they seem reasonable for 2 rooms and even better for 1. Can anyone advise on what their rooms feel like with 5 people? Also, how do they compare to Yacht Club? I have discounted some other resorts which sleep 5 in one room as the 5th bed is child size and it would need to fit my 6ft son as the girls would share the bed.
Would appreciate your thoughts!
TigerCub is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Personally, and I don't want to pee on your chips, there is no way I could stay in one room, in a hotel for all that time, with 5 people, who are essentially adult sized. I have 2 teens and even that is a struggle. If I had too, I would go for 2 rooms at the Swan and Dolphin, if that's the location you're after. Or look at 2 rooms in a moderate resort instead. You could wait for something like Old Key West who have 1/2 bedroom villas. In all honesty though, I would cut down the time on site, and spend the rest of the time in a condo/townhouse for a bit of extra space and it will save you money. Like I said, just my opinion!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

Thank you, I really do appreciate that feedback! I was starting to think along the same lines.
Old 9 Apr 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d rent a 2 bed DVC at Beach Club or Boardwalk (or any DVC), or a suite or 2 rooms if it has to be Crescent Lake.

Away from Crescent Lake, DVC 1 beds that have a sleeper chair which is absolutely great for a 6 footer are Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Jambo and Kidani (not value rooms) and Bay Lake Tower. Bay Lake Tower 1 bed is great, very large and would be perfect if you want a prime location.

Edited at 04:25 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

I haven't looked at dvc before, will definitely do some digging, thank you!
We probably don't want to drive so am also now looking at Disney Springs as the transport options look good which would make it a good alternative to Crescent Lake. The 1 bed (2 room) Island Suites at Buena Vista Palace could be an option there.
Definitely feeling that the 1 room option at those other hotels would be a challenge.
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you are looking to keep costs down I think OKW one bed villa would suit as the third single sofa bed is a decent size. Theses no resort fee like some of the other hotels you’ve mentioned.

It’s also really good to be near DS for your teens so they can go off and do their own thing down there sometimes?

Saratoga springs is good too but like you say the third bed wouldn’t be big enough for your lad.

I really love the look of the new SSR rooms and definitely look to stay there sometime with my teen girls but OkW is brilliant, stayed there a couple of times in a one bed and would defo stay again.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

Is there a knack for booking OKW? I never see it on the Disney site for our dates or on our other preferred option, a package with BA. It would be great to stay in a Disney resort but am definitely more open to partner hotels than before.
Disney Springs and Crescent Lake are probably going to be really good locations for us. I love the idea of having evening options in walking distance, especially for the teenagers.
Old 10 Apr 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

I can see OKW on the BA website. I’ve got vouchers and booked hotels to use them and I can see SSR and OKW are options on it for this year. Have you tried building your own holiday on the BA website? Failing that give them a call. They are usually pretty helpful.

Actually I’ve just noticed you are looking at booking for Aug 2022, because those are DVC resorts they may nit get released to book until 11 months out? Maybe worth booking something else now and swapping later?

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Just adding another perspective. We stay in one room with 4-5 adults all the time. We are a large family and have to pay for 2 rooms as it is, if we had less than 4 in each room it would mean a minimum of 3 rooms and 2 bed villas at Disney are a lot more money than 2 x rooms (especially if you are staying a long time). My boys are all men (size) now, the smallest is 5ft 10 and we all share no problem. None of them share at home and they don’t care about sharing on holiday.

Out of the 3 hotels I would chose Yacht Club every time! If it cost a lot more I would be happy and Sawn and Dolphin, although I have never stayed there.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone.
Kat, I like that idea of booking now and seeing if something else comes along. What would be the best way of doing that? I quite like a price i have for Buena Vista Palace with BA for next August but have never amended bookings with them, our last trip I booked the hotel direct with Disney and that seemed really easy to make changes.
Dazed, my son would agree with you, he doesn't have a problem with all of us together, and he's the tallest! Can I ask how your boys find the 5th bed option? I was told it wouldn't really be suitable for an adult, is that true?
I am really interested in these 1 bedroom suites with attached sitting areas. I think the new Swan Reserve also has these? Other than OKW and Bay Tower are there any other options close to Disney that I should consider?