Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 12 Apr 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

I haven't watched so much on BBC for years, I quite liked what they did. I had no idea that it was the same on all BBC channels though.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by FeFe View Post
I don’t know if you can read the royal charter anywhere online it’s agreed every 10 years (edited as I checked online)
Seems there is a category A which includes the Queen and Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla and William and Kate. In the event of a Category A death, there are particular processes and procedures that have already been planned for by the Royal Family, the Government and the BBC.
The period of mourning could be for 2 to 7 days.
The news dept have a wardrobe of blacks backstage for when there is an announcement, all staff change into black clothing.
Certainly her dept, which includes a lot of comedy, have suspended content for now. She’s on paperwork for the next few days anyway.
Don’t know if radio is different as BBC radio 1s announcement was quite eh, surreal?
Thanks for that. I did think it would be position rather than popularity although the Diana mourning period sort of contradicts that. I have no idea what was said on Radio 1 as I stopped listening after the 70's!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Thanks for that. I did think it would be position rather than popularity although the Diana mourning period sort of contradicts that. I have no idea what was said on Radio 1 as I stopped listening after the 70's!
Radio one were playing a dance tune which got switched to the national anthem. I don’t listen either 🙈 it was dd that told me haha
June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
From memory there was no official period of mourning for Diana as she was no longer an active senior Royal. The wall to wall coverage for her was the choice of the TV and radio stations. Not protocol.
Her death however was announced early hours of Sunday morning so soaps weren’t impacted that day which seems to be the thing people are moaning about.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I think its been totally ridiculous.

I could understand the first couple of hours it dominating the airwaves but to cancel a whole schedule across multiple channels. and no politics etc... We are in the middle of pandemic. Madness.

And then the general reaction with everyone trying to look like they are doing the right thing. I can't even book a train without it being thrown in my face. National Rail website has gone all grey! lol

I don't feel like apologising - I couldn't care less about the Royal or Phillip. I don't know any of them and they don't play a big part in my life. So I don't want it ramming down my throat every which way I turn.

Rant over!

Edited at 05:32 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
From memory there was no official period of mourning for Diana as she was no longer an active senior Royal. The wall to wall coverage for her was the choice of the TV and radio stations. Not protocol.
Her death however was announced early hours of Sunday morning so soaps weren’t impacted that day which seems to be the thing people are moaning about.
I do remember though the Liverpool vs Newcastle match was cancelled on the Sunday she died but the wolves vs Fulham match did go ahead on Friday.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
I do remember though the Liverpool vs Newcastle match was cancelled on the Sunday she died but the wolves vs Fulham match did go ahead on Friday.

I was working at Heathrow the day of the funeral. Most of the duty free shops remained closed til after the funeral and there were TV sets set up broadcasting it all over the airport. It was a very peculiar day .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I had to drive to Ilford on the Tuesday after Diana died, they kept playing Candle in the Wind (proper version of course) and Evita. Our neighbours went to London to see the flowers and said they had never seen anything like it. Very very sad.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
My memory was that the radio played "sad" tunes all that first day very much as I understand they did last week. The whole protocol bit with the BBC, (which is what this thread was supposed to be about rather than opinions on the Royal Family!), is still confusing me as there has never been a clear indication of what will happen when certain royals die. Its as if they are making it up as they go along at points.

I agree that Diana was not a senior royal at the time but if film "The Queen" and the various documentaries are to be believed the mouning was "forced" upon the establishment whether they liked it or not.

There is one thing I find somewhat ironic about the coverage last weekend, which is only two days ago but feels like a lifetime, is channel 5.

Channel 5 every Saturday night have a least one royal documentary on at peak time. I think they must make them in batches as they all seem to have the same talking heads on them who probably doing their bit to camera one subject after the after. Anyway on Saturday night they must have cancelled their scheduled royal documentary and didn't have one on and instead had a program about how much we all love Dads Army.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Record complaints received by BBC according to The Guardian.

I'm surprised so many tbh.

Most people I know don't normally watch linear TV any more.

Maybe this policy needs reviewing for the future as BBC, ITV, C4, and C5 will lose out against Netflix, Prime, and others, if people have the few shows they do watch taken off air.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List