Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 14 Apr 21, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Tahar Rahim (The Serpent) is brilliant in this.
He was amazing!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
We watched this last weekend - can’t stop thinking about it. Absolutely a story that has to be told, but harrowing. Great film with really good acting.
Absolutely, I thought the storytelling was brilliant and the acting was excellent.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Karababe View Post
I watched it this evening too. Heartbreaking
It really is heartbreaking but his resilience is amazing.
Old 15 Apr 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
I watched this today and it was just so horrifying. I have to admit to being unaware of many of the details surrounding Guantanamo but this was certainly eye opening. I believe that the Biden Presidency is talking about closing it down.
Obama went into office swearing that he would close it down - never happened.
Presumably he was informed of reasons why it would not happen by others who have power - the security services maybe?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Obama went into office swearing that he would close it down - never happened.
Presumably he was informed of reasons why it would not happen by others who have power - the security services maybe?
So does the security services (I’m assuming CIA, FBI etc) have more power than the government? I had an interesting discussion with my Step-Dad and he believes that if they are being held in Guantanamo then they must be guilty. I don’t feel the same way, it seems crazy to me that they can be held indefinitely without charges. Surely if they were guilty then I would be easy to charge them with that crime and the lock them up. Maybe that is just oversimplified?
Old 15 Apr 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
So does the security services (I’m assuming CIA, FBI etc) have more power than the government? I had an interesting discussion with my Step-Dad and he believes that if they are being held in Guantanamo then they must be guilty. I don’t feel the same way, it seems crazy to me that they can be held indefinitely without charges. Surely if they were guilty then I would be easy to charge them with that crime and the lock them up. Maybe that is just oversimplified?
I really don’t know but I’m sure that Obama was serious about closing Guantanamo down but never went through with it.
Why?
I do believe that once inaugurated he would have been given advice and information that he didn’t have access to previously, where that was from - I’m not privy to

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We watched it last night. So sad. Can’t believe there are still people being held there.
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

We watched it last night, at least I partially did (I’m not the best at concentrating fully on films!).

So I was left feeling very let down by the treatment of the man, but I didn’t necessarily come away feeling he was innocent - more disgusted with the handling of him and that that treatment guaranteed we were never going to know the truth.

Or did I miss something vital that made it clear he wasn’t guilty of what he was accused? (Quite likely as I say I wasn’t 100% in the film!) Did we find out why he was being called from Bin Ladens phone?

Edited at 06:39 PM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
We watched it last night, at least I partially did (I’m not the best at concentrating fully on films!).

So I was left feeling very let down by the treatment of the man, but I didn’t necessarily come away feeling he was innocent - more disgusted with the handling of him and that that treatment guaranteed we were never going to know the truth.

Or did I miss something vital that made it clear he wasn’t guilty of what he was accused? (Quite likely as I say I wasn’t 100% in the film!) Did we find out why he was being called from Bin Ladens phone?
We watched it on Friday. DH and I both said we weren’t actually sure that he was innocent, but the treatment of him was terrible, but that was why he got off, not because he was proved innocent. The film also omitted any evidence either for or against him, so how can we know, he only appeared to get off because of the way he was treated. I was actually very disappointed by this film, it was very one sided and didn’t have much depth. If I had lost a loved one on 9/11 I’d be pretty angry and upset that the evidence was never brought to a court and this man, possibly a mastermind of the attack was free to carry on his life. I also think a trial should have happened quickly so innocence could be proved/disproved and that no person should be held for so long with no charges or trials taking place, that really is a disgrace.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
We watched it on Friday. DH and I both said we weren’t actually sure that he was innocent, but the treatment of him was terrible, but that was why he got off, not because he was proved innocent. The film also omitted any evidence either for or against him, so how can we know, he only appeared to get off because of the way he was treated. I was actually very disappointed by this film, it was very one sided and didn’t have much depth. If I had lost a loved one on 9/11 I’d be pretty angry and upset that the evidence was never brought to a court and this man, possibly a mastermind of the attack was free to carry on his life. I also think a trial should have happened quickly so innocence could be proved/disproved and that no person should be held for so long with no charges or trials taking place, that really is a disgrace.
I agree totally - you just put it much better than I could of! 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List