Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 12 Apr 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Pros and Cons of different types of accommodation?

I'll start by saying I've been visiting Orlando since 1989, I've been as a child, teenager, then with my fiance/exhusband as a couple.
I've stayed in Idrive standard motel accommodation and also at Disney onsite (Value, Mods and Deluxe). I've always preferred hotels as they feel like a holiday to me, I enjoy having shops and restaurants on site, and nice swimming pools and grounds to explore.

In 2023 we're planning on visiting with me, DH, DS (will be nearly 6) and DD (will be 2 and 3 quarters). DD is currently a newborn but I coslept with DS and we've always been a family that's happy to spend time together in one room (Me and DH wouldn't put the kids to bed on a family holiday for couple time if that makes sense).

I can't decide what to look at for our trip?

Can anyone give me pros and cons of a villa/hotel with those ages of children? Is there another option I'm missing?
We will have a car.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Maybe one of the resorts with an on-site water park for added fun?
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

During that age range we took our two kids to POFQ and OKW. Both are super Disney but very calming. We had a car for their younger trips but other than Walmart etc we mainly stayed onsite.

As you say, we were on holiday as family and one room didn’t bother us at all. As we were getting up with the kids in the morning going to sleep at the same time on an evening wasn’t really an issue!

Early on the trips we’d be in bed resting/sleeping at 20:00 (mainly jet lag induced) but that got later and later each day as we all acclimatised.

Both resorts are geared up for young ones. POFQ has a splash area with slides and OKW a lovely paddling pool with a sandpit area and both have lovely playgrounds. At POFQ you can use all the facilities at POR as well and the walk there and back is lovely, especially at twilight. Both offer the boat to Disney Springs.

Having a bit of extra space at OKW was nice but not of huge importance to us. We only went to OKW that year as it was cheaper than POFQ and paying to upgrade the QSDP to DDP!

Edited at 10:22 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have also always shared a room and we love to be onsite at Disney as well. If the budget doesn’t allow then I’d look for a hotel with a lovely pool area / resort feel offsite.

The only other consideration would be a room with a kitchenette, just as access to a fridge / microwave can be handy for snacks or impromptu meals with little ones.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We did just one holiday with a toddler and a 5 year old in a hotel room never again DS 1 was and still is as is DH can be woken by a pin drop both up and full of the joys the minute they open their eyes and that can be after as little as 2 hours sleep Gds2 is the same the rest of us don’t wake us ,don’t talk to us and flipping heck don’t put the TV on to get the weather ,traffic report etc
After that we did a ground floor condo that didn’t work either due to noise Villas work best for us all
We did do a hotel and a condo in San Francisco and Hawaii last year the hotel was amazing only because we were on the top floor on our own the condo top floor and again just us
We know 3/4 nights in a hotel or a condo / town house is our limit
Funnily enough DS1 who isn’t the sleeper his two kids will sleep through anything have done from 6 weeks the other 2 sons kids wake up at a pin drop happy bunny face
It’s just what works for your family even2 weeks if you get it wrong is a total nightmare and can spoil the whole very expensive holiday
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Disney generally has great theming but you are sacrificing space unless you go for one of the family/kids suites. For us, when DS was younger a pool was a pool & he would happily play in it all day. We have stayed in kid suites, 1 bed suites,2 bed suites & eventually his own Hotel room. Personally at the lower end somewhere like Springhill suites with a separate sitting area or Staybridge suites where the kids can have their own TV/room & full kitchen facilities.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Personally we love a villa and although we have done 2 week Disney stays when the kids were small, we now find that 5 days is our max and that’s only if free dining is available. However, from your post, I’d say maybe a villa isn’t for you, we love it because of the extra space, each having our own rooms and especially the private pool. We also like having a kitchen for drinks and snacks, we only really eat breakfast in the villa though, I don’t want to cook on holiday. We have booked Sheraton Vistana in a 2 bed apartment for October and are thinking this will be a happy medium, close to shops and restaurants, but still with a bit more room. Maybe something similar would work for you?

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

When my children were those ages we always stayed in one room on site. I was very security conscious (maybe a bit too much &#128514 and I just wouldn’t have been comfortable having the children in different rooms in a villa. We tried it once in a villa in Portugal and I just didn’t relax the whole time. This is just my opinion and I realise others are more relaxed than me.
The only thing I would add is that we stayed in deluxe hotels and really appreciated the balcony to have somewhere quiet to sit in the evening if they went to sleep earlier than us 😀
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

When the children were younger, we often had a stroller and diaper bag, making riding a crowded Disney bus an added difficulty. We liked having a car with us in each park so we didn't have to wait in a bus queue and could leave quickly if and when we needed to, keeping drinks in a cooler in the boot for hot and tired little ones.

Instead of a villa, which was too much space, we rented a small condo at Windsor Hills. Extremely cost effective! The time to drive between the condo and the theme park was the same, or quicker, than the Disney transportation to get back to a hotel. We had a kitchen to prepare breakfasts and pack lunches or at least snacks for the little ones (which was easy to carry around in a cool bag in the bottom of the stroller).

Windsor Hills has a great splash pad now, so if you get a condo right close to the club house/pool, it can be just as easy as the pools at the Disney hotels. I'm sure there are other resorts in addition to Windsor Hills, that are a short drive to Disney and have condos and splash pads. Maybe even a lazy river?
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

How about a condo style Hotel? We did one last time booked one again this time. You get a full kitchen including a washer dryer and sometimes 2 bathrooms. Both have nice pool areas, shuttles to the parks and plenty of places to eat near by.

We always stay at LBV cheap to Uber to parks.