Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Taking cash

Is anyone still planning on taking cash with them on their next visit?

We ve always taken some dollars with us but next time I don’t think we ll take any
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We always take cash and use nothing else for gas , in restaurants and for small supermarket shops. Credit card for larger one off expenses and emergencies.

Done this for years. Obviously aware of the cash cover insurance limitations so we stick inside those. Cash withdrawals in $500/$600 tranches at the Wawa ATMs which don't charge.

Mick
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm the same as Mick.

Anywhere that takes card away to update (or adds tip later) or is prone to cloning machines (petrol stations) gets cash, you can't clone cash or tweak the amount given later.

Also what do you do when you go into a store and they say their card machine is down? You'd be very foolish to go with no cash whatsoever

I'm sure people do go without cash and don't have a problem. In the same way I presume some people only get 3rd party insurance on their new 40k range rover, and don't have a prang so think it wasn't really necessary to be full comp.

In life most things are ok until they aren't, if you don't experience a problem you start to think the precaution isn't necessary, when in reality it was just not used

Edited at 08:57 AM.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Also thinking as we ve been using cash a lot less in the uk due to the pandemic it might be the same in the US - discouraging cash
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Yep! We will take some, i have about $600 left over from last holiday so will take that and put some money on my Monzo for card transactions xx

Edited at 09:03 AM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Tomsk
Excited about Disney

Agree with the above, we take cash and just split it out for our days, Anything big goes on Barclaycard thats fraud protected etc.

I'm also in agreement that i hate when they disappear in with my card to swipe it in the back or wherever they go..

Cash all the way from us, within insurance limits though.
Disneyland Paris &Carribean Beach 2015
Tomsk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Always have and always will. I don’t anticipate the USA will discourage cash like the UK does.
I agree with Mick, we never use cards in US petrol stations 😳
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I'm the same as Mick.

Anywhere that takes card away to update (or adds tip later) or is prone to cloning machines (petrol stations) gets cash, you can't clone cash or tweak the amount given later.

Also what do you do when you go into a store and they say their card machine is down? You'd be very foolish to go with no cash whatsoever
Over my time on the DIBB (17 years this month ) I've posted links to at least half a dozen news reports about cloning at the pump. I know it's safer going into the kiosk to use a CC but just as easy going in and saying "$30 on 6 please"

Also as I've said on numerous restaurant tipping threads. I work out what a reasonable tip should be (separate debate please ). If it comes to $59.86 I leave three £20s. If it comes to $60.12 I leave three $20s

Mick

Edited at 09:17 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

we tend to be 50/50. Use the card for items against our room (especially if we stay on site) but use cash for fuel, smaller purchases etc. We use a specific card when aboard that has a small credit amount and we can pay if off and therefore "release" more credit online whilst abroad, we also check it at the end of everyday.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Our first trip we were on a tight budget and only took cash for everything
Every visit it’s got less and less