Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Apr 21, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

* Sad Day For Me *

My son left to go back to boarding school today 😢💔

It's actually the worst feeling ever! I have to keep reminding myself why we chose this in the first place (he had 8 different schools by the time he was 11) but it never makes it any easier ☹️.

6 weeks and counting before he's home again!
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post

I cannot imagine how hard that must be. A tricky decision to put your child's education first in that way. It's only as an adult I realise how hard it must have been for my parents. I am sure he will settle back in quickly. Hopefully with the advent of smart phones you will be able to keep in contact with him. I shudder to think how bad a communicator I was as a child. One reverse charge call on a Sunday, and only then if I remembered. Now I twitch if I haven't heard from mine when they are at uni every couple of days, or If they don't open their whatsap messages within 48 hours 😁

Edited at 07:26 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I cannot imagine how hard that must be. A tricky decision to put your child's education first in that way. It's only as an adult I realise how hard it must have been for my parents. I am sure he will settle back in quickly. Hopefully with the advent of smart phones you will be able to keep in contact with him. I shudder to think how bad a communicator I was as a child. One reverse charge call on a Sunday, and only then if I remembered. Now I twitch if I haven't heard from mine when they are at uni every couple of days, or If they don't open their whatsap messages within 48 hours 😁
Aw bless. It definitely must have been so much harder!
However sometimes we don't hear from him either because he's having so much fun with his friends! 😂
I do prefer that though than him on the phone upset x
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I worked in a boarding school up until last year. We used to think oh poor things being left here but they have a great time. They have a great education and all the other stuff they do was fun! Yes they had classes on saturday morning but their days in the week was spread out so they had rest time. The boys where I worked came into pre-school from 2 or 3 years old(days only) and boarders started at 6 til 13. We met some lovely boys over the years and would often see them pop back in to see everyone from time to time. We had alot of foreign boys as well but they honestly loved it. They have excellent trips and alot of sports, I know you pay for it but they really did enjoy it and was well looked after.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

My granddaughter will be starting boarding school in sept next year , she will be in year 3 . Same reason , forces child shes had 2 schools already by year 1 and about 6 different nurseries. Shes really looking forward to going , she says shes off to Hogwarts 😂
My daughter is just narrowing down the schools before taking her to see them . It's hard but it's for their best interests
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
I worked in a boarding school up until last year. We used to think oh poor things being left here but they have a great time. They have a great education and all the other stuff they do was fun! Yes they had classes on saturday morning but their days in the week was spread out so they had rest time. The boys where I worked came into pre-school from 2 or 3 years old(days only) and boarders started at 6 til 13. We met some lovely boys over the years and would often see them pop back in to see everyone from time to time. We had alot of foreign boys as well but they honestly loved it. They have excellent trips and alot of sports, I know you pay for it but they really did enjoy it and was well looked after.
Aw I love this from your perspective, thank you 💜
Our son started at 11 so not as early as some of the boys in the school you worked at but I do know he has a great time, he just gets upsets on the day before he goes back/actually dropping him off which makes it even harder.
I don't think Covid has helped either with him settling in properly (he's spent more time at home)
Old 16 Apr 21, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
My granddaughter will be starting boarding school in sept next year , she will be in year 3 . Same reason , forces child shes had 2 schools already by year 1 and about 6 different nurseries. Shes really looking forward to going , she says shes off to Hogwarts 😂
My daughter is just narrowing down the schools before taking her to see them . It's hard but it's for their best interests
Aw Hogwarts, bless her!
It really is such a hard decision.
All of our sons grandparents are against the decision we made in putting him into the school 😕 but like your daughter, she's doing it for her child's future 💜
Old 16 Apr 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
I went to a predominantly forces boarding school. I too had a silly number of moves of school. It made such a difference to me. Also if it's a school with a high number of forces kids (mine was RAF focussed in the main, middle of the country easy acces !) Then there is kind of a dual sense of belonging. School and parents role. It certainly helped to have like minded children around when parents were in active service somewhere.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Awww, how old is he ? 6 weeks isn’t a huge amount time thankfully to get back into it all again.
My youngest, only one still at home, boards during the week and gets home Friday evenings, leaves again Sunday evenings and that’s hard enough 😊 It’s getting me prepped for when she’s off to college/uni or whatever but as the the other 2 have flown the nest I want to slow it all down a bit 😄
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gull View Post
Awww, how old is he ? 6 weeks isn’t a huge amount time thankfully to get back into it all again.
My youngest, only one still at home, boards during the week and gets home Friday evenings, leaves again Sunday evenings and that’s hard enough 😊 It’s getting me prepped for when she’s off to college/uni or whatever but as the the other 2 have flown the nest I want to slow it all down a bit 😄
He's 12, has his 13th birthday in a few weeks which we miss which makes it harder I guess! ☹️
Aw bless, I bet it makes the weekends more special though 😊