Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 15 Jun 09, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreamer
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Dreamer's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Would you still advise this when booking a Dibb villa, or can we assume it's already been done?
Disney Dreamer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 09, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dismum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 2
When you advertise on here you have to give all the details about your home so you would need to ask Stu what checks he carries out - that may be only the property appraisers site to confirms the ownership.
I would have no objection to any prospective guest checking me out in the appropriate sites if it helped pout their mind at ease over staying in my home .It is always wise to do your own research into a property you are interested in.
dismum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 09, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Karma's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I Don't mind!

Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
Would you still advise this when booking a Dibb villa, or can we assume it's already been done?
I would not mind anyone checking this out for our villa. Bearing in mind that I pay the taxes in January well within the time limit of before end of MARCH. I normally don't get the stuff in the post until then due to Christmas post madness.

I think this is a very important thread and the information should be made a sticky. We do not want any DIBBers getting duped. Paying out money for a villa to find the owner is not paying taxes/mortgage and having nowhere to go.

Just because someone is paying their taxes doe not mean they are paying their mortgage and vice versa.

Also I think you can check that a property is properly licensed as a holiday home business (so the owner is paying the Florida State taxes and tourist taxes on bookings).

I have a UK mortgage on my villa and would happily provide proof that is being paid in the form of annual statements. Our villa is also licensed.
Karma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 09, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

This is why we only book through the DIBB and try to use the same villa every year! Sorry to hear about your friend I really hope she can get something sorted out! X.X
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 09, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dismum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
A lot of the time taxes are paid by the mortgage company - so if one goes so does the other.Of course this does not always apply and some owners pay each separately and some owners don't have mortgage companies to pay their taxes out of escrow.Don't be afraid to ask your owner anything if you have concerns and if you check the county sites but have trouble interpreting the info just ask on here -there are several people that will help you out.
dismum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 09, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Well, I do hope this is useful information.

I haven't heard from the lady today, I do not know her but she emailed me and I have been trying to help her out. There really isnt anything I can do to help her but I confirmed that her suspicions are correct. All the information I found out is easily obtainable from the public websites.

Just remember if the price seems too good to be true then it probably is. If the homeowner wont readily give over their villa and personal information then don't book with them.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 09, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post

This is the one thing that concerns me about booking a villa, given the current economic climate - you hear to many horror stories. We will definitely be looking at DIBB villas for our trip Easter 2011. Thanks again for the invaluable advice.
Old 14 Jul 09, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 47
Thanks for the info
Old 19 Jul 09, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi this is very worrying - could the same happen if you book a villa which is aoa with an agent
Old 19 Jul 09, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by zah0505 View Post
Hi this is very worrying - could the same happen if you book a villa which is aoa with an agent
There is nothing to stop this happening with TO retained villas. In fact it has when a large company providing villas to TOs went bust recently.http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...ht=welcome+usa

IMHO there is no substitute for personal contact with the Villa owner directly rather than a third party. And take this advice:
Originally Posted by WindsorLover
Thanks Jan, have changed it. Very upsetting weekend for the woman. But it is the age old problem. If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is

Edited at 11:08 PM.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List