Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 25 Sep 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Unavailability will be a bit rough IMO through August/September/October as walkers try to bag 50th Anniversary bookings.
I managed to get a studio at Copper Creek yesterday at 1pm, so that's us locked in for Aug/Sept 2021. Will be aiming for end of September I think, so we get coverage for the 50th celebrations.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sheppard
Getting Excited

We finally managed to get on the booking page and after almost a week of checking everyday my husband managed to eventually get (with a lot of patience) all 11 days at Copper Creek in a studio.

The last date, which was in the middle of the holiday, was proving a difficult one to get but availability came up today.

Thanks for all you help and advice on this. Still don’t understand what “walking” is but think that has been the problem this time.
sheppard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cityblueboy
VIP Dibber

cityblueboy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by sheppard View Post
We finally managed to get on the booking page and after almost a week of checking everyday my husband managed to eventually get (with a lot of patience) all 11 days at Copper Creek in a studio.

The last date, which was in the middle of the holiday, was proving a difficult one to get but availability came up today.

Thanks for all you help and advice on this. Still don’t understand what “walking” is but think that has been the problem this time.
Walking is where members book accommodation they don't need to get dates they do and it drives me mad! For example

I want to book accommodation for the 7th September next year for one week. I book today on 1/10 and get 7 nights from the 1st September, which covers the first day I actually need. Each day after that I call Disney and cancel day one of my booking and add a day on at the end, until eventually I have the week I want.

They really should come up with something to stop it.
cityblueboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cityblueboy View Post
Walking is where members book accommodation they don't need to get dates they do and it drives me mad! For example

I want to book accommodation for the 7th September next year for one week. I book today on 1/10 and get 7 nights from the 1st September, which covers the first day I actually need. Each day after that I call Disney and cancel day one of my booking and add a day on at the end, until eventually I have the week I want.

You don't have to call anyone. Just log onto you account after 1pm and amend the dates yourself. You don't even need to do it every day. You have blocked out the 1st to the 7th. You could leave your amendment to the 6th or even the morning of the 7th to get the 6th to 13th.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cityblueboy View Post
Same, horrible practice, I truly believe that it causes more problems than it solves as it creates a ton of misleading availability. You so often see people thinking they can't get their home resorts at 11 months, then suddenly they find availability when the walkers start cancelling.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Yes walking seems so unfair especially to those seeking extended stays at the most popular resorts.

Not sure but we think it came about in 2008 when DVC changed from booking your reservation based on your check-out date to a check-in date and for only up to 7-nights max.

We didn't know what members were talking about when saying they were walking their booking, but as our home resorts are OKW & SSR we really didn't need to know as by and large the room size we now normally book is always the last to get fully booked up.

When there were changes to booking online we had thought we might find it more difficult to get extended stays but so far we've been lucky and also at 7-months if changing to another resort for a split stay.

But for UK members where 14-21 nights are not uncommon then if they want to ensure their chances are increased at the more popular resorts then they really need to consider walking, otherwise they might find they're missing just a few nights especially around any US holidays. So unless there's a change in policy we would suggest any Dibber to consider walking their booking.

Not sure if walking a booking was around prior to that change in 2008, anyone know?
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List