Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Sep 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think you will be fine with your debit card and then pay your balance with the Fairfx card. I used a credit card for hold and then paid the balance with the fairfx card, i was told to pay the balance before 2PM on day of departure to avid it automatically using the credit card.

Ive used this card for years without issue although we did have an issue using it in Target this year for groceries so had to withdraw some cash from the ATM to pay.
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
But don't you need some sort of card to put against your Disney room to cover charges?
You do, but you don't have to use it.

We used our debit card as hold but never charged anything to it. We just charged everything to our room, and every couple of days we paid off the balance using traveller's cheques.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I think you will be fine with your debit card and then pay your balance with the Fairfx card. I used a credit card for hold and then paid the balance with the fairfx card, i was told to pay the balance before 2PM on day of departure to avid it automatically using the credit card.
I don't know if this has changed since we went, but we were told to pay the balance the night before, otherwise it would be charged to our card in the middle of the night.

We had told them please not to do this, as we wanted to use traveller's cheques. But when we woke up on our last day there was a receipt hanging on the door saying we had already been charged.

We went to reception and they refunded it so we could use TCs, but because of the exchange rate, the refund was £22 less than we had been charged.

Learn from our expensive mistake and settle up the night before!
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

We couldn't use our FairFX card as the hold card at Disney in Aug. We used our CC but then paid the balance off every few days with the FairFX card.

In three trips with the FairFX we've never been able to use as the hold card. It's not a guaranteed payment for them so should the credit balance on the card be moved they've no way of claiming back anything owed should the balance not be cleared.
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
But don't you need some sort of card to put against your Disney room to cover charges?

Personally never had a problem with Fairfx. We never travel around with much cash on us.

To the OP how long are you on site for? It may be that Disney are trying to put a check on the value based on the length of stay, and this may be more than the available value on your card. Have you tried using it elsewhere?
Disney only do an authorisation for $1 to check the card is not stolen when you check in .

In the US banking system a pre paid card currency card is treated as a credit card with a zero balance. Only when money is loaded on it does it have a worth (up to what you loaded.)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida dreamr
Proud to wear my Ears

Florida dreamr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Do they still do travellers checks nowadays? i always prefaired them
Old 2 Sep 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Ours was declined at AKL when we stayed for a week few years ago now. Plenty of funds on it too. After problems with it on another trip and unsatisfactory service from them wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Th OP hasn't been able to get in touch with them is not good enough, a credit card company or a bank is available 24/7 for any problems to be addressed,
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Florida dreamr View Post
Do they still do travellers checks nowadays? i always prefaired them
Yes they do. Some places don't accept them, and younger staff don't know what to do with them so need to get a manager.

We used ours in Disney and Universal - charged everything to the room and used TCs to pay the balance. That was in 2014.
Old 2 Sep 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Phone number is 020 7329 7333 (24 hours I believe).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

I would be interested to know if you manage to sort this as I have just loaded a Fair FX card for my trip in October.