Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 21, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Credit card or pre paid card

Thinking about spends for next year. Both my current credit cards charge 2.99% for foreign currency transactions. So is it best to get another credit card (seems daft for something I only need for 10 days) or get a pre paid card.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Credit or debit card every time. Something like the Halifax clarity credit card which gives you the spot rate. It really doesn't matter if you don't use it during the rest of the year. You won't with a ore-pay card either.

We have a ore-pay card from historical use and keep it as a backup to be able to load if we need to

Gave up trying to chase the exchange rate years ago.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a starling account just for my holiday spends. I move money into it monthly. They don't charge foreign transaction fees and you get top MasterCard exchange rate on day of transactions. Best card I've ever had. It is a bank account so debit rather than credit card though.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I use Revolut and a fee free credit card. It was Post Office but has changed to Java. I like to have the back of a credit car but prefer to have my spends in an identified place. I’ve been considering Starling but not sure of the benefits over Revolut for my purposes.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I use Revolut and a fee free credit card. It was Post Office but has changed to Java. I like to have the back of a credit car but prefer to have my spends in an identified place. I’ve been considering Starling but not sure of the benefits over Revolut for my purposes.
Do revolut have a limit to cash point withdrawals? Starling don't and that's swayed me towards it. Also revolut you have the rate on the day you put the money onto the card, starling you can't do that... its whatever the rate is on the day you spend.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Do revolut have a limit to cash point withdrawals? Starling don't and that's swayed me towards it. Also revolut you have the rate on the day you put the money onto the card, starling you can't do that... its whatever the rate is on the day you spend.
They do but we seldom use cash so it’s not really an issue.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
68nic
Imagineer

I take Cash and also use my Halifax Clarity Card if needed .
Old 30 May 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Credit or debit card every time. Something like the Halifax clarity credit card which gives you the spot rate. It really doesn't matter if you don't use it during the rest of the year. You won't with a ore-pay card either.

We have a ore-pay card from historical use and keep it as a backup to be able to load if we need to

Gave up trying to chase the exchange rate years ago.
We also have a Clarity card.

We save our spends in a separate account and when we get home pay the bill.

You get the rate at the time. I also don't watch the exchange rate.

As we travel to different places during the year that means we don't have to worry about having different currencies loaded it works everywhere.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Another thumbs up for the Clarity Card 👍👍

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I’ve been considering Starling but not sure of the benefits over Revolut for my purposes.
One simple word for me. Ethics

Just go and look at the way Revolut treat staff and customers. They have an ongoing FCA investigation for a reason.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List