Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Percentage of son’s earnings

My son is about to finish uni and will start his job in August. His starting pay is good and above average and so I’ve asked for 35% of his net earnings for his rent and towards the bills.

My son thinks I’m being a little tight asking for so much but he doesn’t understand that apart from the bills there is also wear and tear on all household items.

Kids today just don’t want to pay their way
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

It all depends upon what he could get elsewhere for the same money? 35% seems like a large chunk of his earnings but if that includes food, washing, ironing, etc. then it's probably a great deal.

My parents charged me something similar when I was came back from University. They saved some of it for me so that when I moved out (6 months later) I had a few quid to help me get established in my new house.

Whatever you charge, it'll help him budget and get used to paying the bills. Good practice before he heads out on his own. Good luck.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MUAlumni
Excited about Disney

Me and my partner have had many arguments about this. Her son (my step son) still lives with us, she won’t ask for anything more than £50 a month. He treats the house like garbage and has no consideration for how much things cost but she won’t budge on this figure.

I thought around the £200/£250 would be more reasonable. He will never move out because he has no idea how to budget which he would quickly learn if he was charged a higher “rent”.

Edited at 12:20 PM.
MUAlumni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

It doesn’t include food, but after my wife has finished her full time job she can do his ironing (I’m retired but I’m not a good ironer and realistically it’s more of a women's job).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I would let him have the 1st pay packet but then charge the 35%

It’s all about budgeting and understanding that bills are part of working life. Too many young adults live at home on £20 a week or whatever the going rate is nowadays.
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I used to pay half to everything!😂 I left home in 2017 when I was 21 and I actually pay less now than I did at home!😂
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post

We have a thirds rule whatever the earnings. Third for rent, third to save, third to live on.

I know they blur the lines between the other two thirds but I get mine!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I think it depends how much you need the money and as a destitute retired sparky who can't afford buisness class anymore with a wife who needs to work till she's worn out I agree MH take 50%. Charge for each meal that your wife cooks and per item for the ironing.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We have a thirds rule whatever the earnings. Third for rent, third to save, third to live on.

I know they blur the lines between the other two thirds but I get mine!
I used to have to do this at my parents, even when on £29.50 a week YTS scheme.

I know MH is probably being tongue in cheek with his post but kids need to learn to pay their way. If a family doesn't need the income then save it for them and give back when they move out but they should pay up first.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I was going to say that you should take 50% minimum but you have mentioned it doesn’t include food and drink, so 35% is more than fair.

Make sure you still charge for any lifts and use of the car too 🚘
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List