Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 24 Jul 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

:) Orkney here I come …..

Taken the plunge yesterday and booked flights from London to Kirkwall for a few days then a short flight to Sunday for 2 back to Kirkwall for one then home. We are so excited - it will be my first visit to Sunday where my Mother was born and my family come from and Kirkwall in a good while. Have some of the family but and bens to check out too. Looking forward to it - a UK break with a difference

Edited at 09:38 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

That's strange, a colleague of mine is flying to Orkney this morning, I'd just sent her a have a good time message then saw your post.

Enjoy, sounds great

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Taken the plunge yesterday and booked flights from London to Kirkwall for a few days then a short flight to Sunday for 2 back to Kirkwall for one then home. We are so excited - it will be my first visit to Sunday where my Mother was born and my family come from and Kirkwall in a good while. Have some of the family but and bens to check out too. Looking forward to it - a UK break with a difference
My family are originally from Eday... so we're probably related in some way! My family are all over the place now, but some in Kirkwall too. Have a fabulous time, I hope the wind is calm!

Gull might be able to tell you what the weather is like when you go...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
My family are originally from Eday... so we're probably related in some way! My family are all over the place now, but some in Kirkwall too. Have a fabulous time, I hope the wind is calm!

Gull might be able to tell you what the weather is like when you go...
Small world - my Mother was the youngest of 11 Children all born in Sanday (all though she lived in Edinburgh and flew home for weekends as a child) back in the 1920/30s)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Small world - my Mother was the youngest of 11 Children all born in Sanday (all though she lived in Edinburgh and flew home for weekends as a child) back in the 1920/30s)
Flying in those days would have been "interesting"!

Even now getting on a tiny plane and once even being asked to pull the door shut behind me... gets the adrenaline going...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Orkney is wonderful, it’s such a lovely place with fantastic history. I hope you have a fabulous time.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Flying in those days would have been "interesting"!

Even now getting on a tiny plane and once even being asked to pull the door shut behind me... gets the adrenaline going...
OMg really ? I have photos of my Mother and her nanny getting flights back in the 1920’s and hope the planes are better now but now I wonder lol
I am SO excited
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Have a great time!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Have a great time!
Thank you - I cant believe the flights and hotel have cost the same as going to LA in Upper ! But who cares - we are off on our holidays (in a few weeks)
Old 24 Jul 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

If anyone knows a good car hire company in Kirkwall and a taxi and driver we can hire for a day or 2 in Sanday please please please help xx