Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 1 Jul 21, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Laptop/Notebook

Looking for a cheap laptop/notebook. Circa £400

In order of must

Microsoft... Mainly for word and very light use of Excel for my autónomos returns

PowerPoint. I use a lot in school

TV etc as connected through a HDMI cable/port

Internet use

Any recommendations would be gratefully received
Thanks 👍
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossyhub
Helping Minnie

Microsoft has just announced the new operating system Windows 11 to be released towards the end of the year.

The required specifications to be able to install and run it are quite significant, particularly in respect of the fact that your laptop must have a TPM chip on the motherboard or TPM (Trusted Platform Module) enabled as software in the UEFI 'bios' and SECUREBOOT enabled. It must have atleast 4GB of RAM and at least 64GB disc space available and the processor must be an Intel i3,i5,i7 chip of AT LEAST 8th Generation or newer AMD chips. It must also have a buit-in front-facing webcam. If any of these conditions are not met Windows 11 will not run.

It is likely that any laptops of the current or recent previous generation will satisfy ALL of these conditions but it is not CERTAIN and if you buy a laptop today there is no GUARANTEE you will be able to install or get the free upgrade from Windows 10 to WIndows 11 (and beyond).

The implications of this is that Microsoft has announced that WIndows 10 will be supported up until October 2025. This means that it will continue to receive security updates until that time. You will therefore be safe connecting it to the internet until then. When support ends it will no longer get these updates and your laptop will be extremely vulnerable to online malware and risk having your data security compromised. It would be foolish to connect beyond 2025.

If you are OK to run just Windows 10 and are happy to scrap the laptop in 2025 then go ahead and buy a new laptop now as there may be many bargains in manufacturers trying to flog off their non-compatible stock You could check that these current bargains satisfy all the requirements for Windows 11 and you will be able to take the free upgrade at the end of the year. The current Microsoft WIndows 11 upgrade checker is not reliable and gives a 'NOT COMPATIBLE' message when the laptop IS compatible but certain settings have not been enabled in the UEFI 'bios'

If Windows 11 is important to you I would advise you to wait a bit until the new laptops which are certified Windows 11 compatible become available.

Hope this helps.

Edited at 06:35 PM.
mossyflossyhub is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mossyflossyhub View Post
Microsoft has just announced the new operating system Windows 11 to be released towards the end of the year.

The required specifications to be able to install and run it are quite significant, particularly in respect of the fact that your laptop must have a TPM chip on the motherboard or TPM (Trusted Platform Module) enabled as software in the UEFI 'bios' and SECUREBOOT enabled. It must have atleast 4GB of RAM and at least 64GB disc space available and the processor must be an Intel i3,i5,i7 chip of AT LEAST 8th Generation or newer AMD chips. It must also have a buit-in front-facing webcam. If any of these conditions are not met Windows 11 will not run.

It is likely that any laptops of the current or recent previous generation will satisfy ALL of these conditions but it is not CERTAIN and if you buy a laptop today there is no GUARANTEE you will be able to install or get the free upgrade from Windows 10 to WIndows 11 (and beyond).

The implications of this is that Microsoft has announced that WIndows 10 will be supported up until October 2025. This means that it will continue to receive security updates until that time. You will therefore be safe connecting it to the internet until then. When support ends it will no longer get these updates and your laptop will be extremely vulnerable to online malware and risk having your data security compromised. It would be foolish to connect beyond 2025.

If you are OK to run just Windows 10 and are happy to scrap the laptop in 2025 then go ahead and buy a new laptop now as there may be many bargains in manufacturers trying to flog off their non-compatible stock You could check that these current bargains satisfy all the requirements for Windows 11 and you will be able to take the free upgrade at the end of the year. The current Microsoft WIndows 11 upgrade checker is not reliable and gives a 'NOT COMPATIBLE' message when the laptop IS compatible but certain settings have not been enabled in the UEFI 'bios'

If Windows 11 is important to you I would advise you to wait a bit until the new laptops which are certified Windows 11 compatible become available.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant. No I'm not interested in Windows 11.. TBH I find since moving here (Spain) laptops ok last about 2/3 years. I think it's the excessive heat in summer and our location is Very dusty

That's a technophobic talking LOL
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List