Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jul 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Is booking with VA high risk?

First of all, apologies for the negative tone of this post. I know a lot of people are struggling with the uncertainty surrounding our plans, me included.

However, I’ve seen a few comments on here over the past few days that allude to VA being high risk to book with. As with a lot of stuff going on, I know that no one will know for sure, but some on here will have more info than me, so thought I’d ask the question.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Are Virgin Atlantic a risk if travel doesn't resume this year - yes maybe/probably
Am I still booking with them - yes but making sure I use a credit card to get protection.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

With a small long haul only fleet that barely broke even pre-Covid, I would say yes. The industry as a whole is suffering but unfortunately I would put them in the higher risk bracket within that.

But, Branson has been selling off a lot both within Atlantic and other group companies to keep it afloat. And they've built a very strong brand reputation that could help them secure additional funding. So I think they will pull through but barely.

Having said that, I will be booking BA as I think they've shown better customer service throughout. The bonus is they should be lower risk, but it's not my primary reason to switch.

Edited at 11:05 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

In the short term I think they will be ok, in the long term if things don’t open up then they will be in serious trouble, in August 2020 it was given a £1.2 billion for a rescue plan that would keep it going for 18months. If things don’t improve by the end of those 18 months then I very much doubt if they would manage to raise that kinda money again but who knows
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

They're unfortunately in a very dangerous position.

Does this mean i wouldn't book with them? No, i would and have done for January.

Let's hope the borders open for them to get back flying.
Keegan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Aren't you atol/abta protected if they go bust?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Aren't you atol/abta protected if they go bust?
No, the OP referred to Virgin Atlantic so flight only bookings have no ABTA or ATOL coverage.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I'm nervous about their situation. I have a fly drive booked next year. Haven't they been doing extra flights though to places like the Carribbean due to demand? That must be a positive.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Would I book a Holiday with Virgin? No as the whole holiday could collapse like a stack of cards.

Would I book a flight only with Virgin Atlantic? Absolutely no problem at all and in fact I have already booked for February and also for late March. If they go under I will just hit the Credit Card Company and within hours rebook with BA.

Personally I think they are fine until next year. They are using their planes for freight a lot so that's bringing in the money.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’d book with VA ( with a CC of course). If you don’t, and others don’t you just add to their woes.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List