Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Jyst be lucky you’re getting any pay increase!
Many in the private sector are getting nothing or redundancy
Lots of jobs in the nhs. Please do join - it’s an absolute party.
DisneyMemories is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Please do not say how lucky NHS staff are to be offered 3%. Many of the staff have been underpaid for years and many will only be able to earn a certain amount.
The average nurse does not earn a fortune. Many registered nurses earn between £25K and £30k and will stay there.
Higher salaries are achievable but the number of roles diminish the higher you go.

Those that have lost jobs over the last year could apply to the many different roles in the NHS.

Not my words
A substantial pay rise for NHS staff will not only help to redress the chronic
underinvestment in the workforce, but will have provide a virtuous circle effect within a
wider economic stimulus programme, serving to boost the whole economy. All would
result in an increase in income tax and National Insurance contributions, as well as
multiplier effects from extra spending of disposable income to the wider economy. This
creates both further indirect and induced employment gains in other sectors and this is
particularly important for those regions which were already struggling socially and
economically. NHS organisations are major employers in many towns and cities, and
directly and indirectly support skilled jobs in health and social care and through supply
chains. Investment in our social infrastructure therefore produces gains through a
short-term economic boost as well as contributing to longer term goals
Old 21 Jul 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

3% bloody no where near enough doing what they do and dealing with the public imo.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

These past 2 1/2 weeks have been horrendous for me and my team, we are running on empty and so many of my colleagues and myself are looking for new jobs outside of the NHS now. I literally dread going to work every day and I'm so run down and feel ill, but can't call in sick as half of our department are currently off sick/ isolating and each one of us are doing the work of 3 people. I used to take pride in my job and felt proud to work for the NHS, not anymore
Mandij39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm pleased for you but this jaded retired nurse thinks this will be clawed back over the coming years. This is optics and nothing else.
You deserve more but more importantly you deserve far better working conditions etc

I'm generally pleased but sceptical
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tony2503
Helping Mickey

I am glad the NHS are getting there pay rise. But it would be nice to remember that many others is the public sector worked very hard during the pandemic. Prison officers dealing directly with inmates with Covid 19 in healthcare units in prisons , police officers dealing with members of the public. All public sector workers deserve a payrise but most don't get one.

Obviously I have a personal interest as my husband works in a healthcare unit at a prison and barely earns £30K a year after 30 years service, yes he could leave but he loves the job. He is not a trained nurse either but has to deal with physically and mentally ill patients just like the NHS.
tony2503 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

I really didn’t want this thread to be about a ‘them and us’ situation. I know we are very lucky to be getting a payrise in the current climate (I have mentioned this before) and it is encouraging to see from these replies that many other NHS workers are also grateful for the 3% offer. I think that given the current climate it is ludicrous for unions to be rallying for 12-15% rises, it just isn’t going to happen.

The argument of whether NHS staff deserve to be paid more generally, to me is a separate one that should be discussed when the economy has recovered, in my opinion yes NHS staff do deserve to be paid more than we are currently, but this is a direct result of years of real term pay cuts, I don’t think now is the most appropriate time for unions to be lobbying for us to receive that level of increase, perhaps over the next couple of years? Our pay on paper looks relatively comfortable (I am a top band 5 SN and earn £30,615 a year) however I know I’ve mentioned before this in no way reflects the sheer level of responsibility, pressure and stress we face on a daily basis, I think unless you work in the NHS or know someone who does (mainly at ward based level) you will struggle to comprehend what we deal with physically and more importantly emotionally during every shift.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Furlough cost the government 14 BILLION a month as well as support grants for small business etc etc etc etc

NHS staff 100% deserve a pay rise but there is a limit to what they can be offered 1% is taking the ### as are claims for 12%

3% is probably as much as can be in the current climate

same for all public service workers prison officers etc etc etc I wouldnt do any of these jobs for twice the money tbh
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Government minister on radio refusing to rule out no additional money for pay increases.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
markamanda
Excited about Disney

I work for the NHS been there for over 11 years in admin. Dont even earn £10 an hour, get no bonus, no free parking, no priority when needing to see a consultant. No subsidised canteen etc.

My very small room has a broken window that doesn't shut so hands are numb in winter.

Computers are spinning when trying to open they go so slow which doesn't help give good service.

We get abused by the public at all times. Which is only going to get worse when we have to ask them to wear a mask still.

Just makes you laugh when the overpaid GP and dentist (that wasn't and some still are not working) are also included in the pay rise. It might make a difference with their wages but for me I will still be under £10 an hour

2007 Fairfield Inn Orlando 2008 Private villa in Orlando 2011 OKW and Dismum's villa 2012 Candlewood Suites NYC 2014 Dreamers villa Orlando 2016 Monte Carlo vegas 2017 Caribbean cruise and Orlando stay 2018 Villa Santa Cruz Orlando 2021 Disney Sunset Villa
markamanda is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List