Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jul 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Painting

Soooo its finally time for me to start painting my new house. I've never painted in my life (always rented).

What tools do I need? Best brushes? Rollers?

Thanks
Old 23 Jul 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I use a small roller (about 6inches) for walls and Harris brushes.

You need a tray for the roller.
Lots of masking tape for the edges.

Emulsion (for walls) is water based so as long as you wash the brush/roller out properly you can reuse lots of times. I prefer matt paint but some prefer a sheen finish, that's usually 'silk' paint.

Wood work paint is usually oil based and you'll need white spirit to clean the brushes. Best to clean the area and little rub with sand paper before undercoating and the top coat. Few different types of top coat - main are gloss or satin wood. It's personal preference.

My dad was a decorator and would say to tip the paint into a smaller container (he had special tin type buckets) and not use the brush in the full tin of paint so if you get fluff/bits it in and you have to throw away there's less waste. I've never done this though.

Good luck with the painting.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Have to disagree with above post on roller size, perhaps just getting roller size mixed up, generally 9”. Small roller for doing behind radiators. Brushes for cutting in. Small set of steps and
Pole for doing ceiling. With painting like all jobs preparation is the key.
One way to get a lot done quickly is have a paint party with your friends. An afternoon painting and you provide the barbecue and beer for afterwards

Edited at 06:56 AM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As a Tradesman the best advice I was ever given and it applies to all Trades is buy the best tools you can afford.

Buy cheap buy often!

However Painting is slightly different as you know eventually your roller sleeves and brushes will wear out. Thus buy decent gear like Harris or Hamilton but don't pay a crazy amount.

However clean them up properly and they will last well. I am still using a Roller Frame and Tray I bought in 1981!

Now they aren't brilliant but they aren't bad either. I would get a 9" frame and 9" Micropoly sleeves from Screwfix

screwfix/c/decoratin...pa ge_size=20

Also a set like this for brushes.

screwfix/p/harris-tr...5-pieces/7354x

Again there are better ones out there but a good start.

Don't be afraid of using places like Screwfix as they are so helpful in there, you can click n collect and some of their prices are dirt cheap.

Also try Wilko, again some good gear at keen prices.

Do I use what I call DIY rollers and brushes? No. However I pay over £25 for 1 lambswool sleeve and that's a lot of money if you don't look after it and my God it takes some cleaning out.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 04:04 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. As a Tradesman the best advice I was ever given and it applies to all Trades is buy the best tools you can afford.

Buy cheap buy often!

However Painting is slightly different as you know eventually your roller sleeves and brushes will wear out. Thus buy decent gear like Harris or Hamilton but don't pay a crazy amount.

However clean them up properly and they will last well. I am still using a Roller Frame and Tray I bought in 1981!

Now they aren't brilliant but they aren't bad either. I would get a 9" frame and 9" Micropoly sleeves from Screwfix

screwfix/c/decoratin...pa ge_size=20

Also a set like this for brushes.

screwfix/p/harris-tr...5-pieces/7354x

Again there are better ones out there but a good start.

Don't be afraid of using places like Screwfix as they are so helpful in there, you can click n collect and some of their prices are dirt cheap.

Also try Wilko, again some good gear at keen prices.

Do I use what I call DIY rollers and brushes? No. However I pay over £25 for 1 lambswool sleeve and that's a lot of money if you don't look after it and my God it takes some cleaning out.

Best of luck
We love Wilko too Tom
And WOW you’ve kept something since 81 now that is frugal 🙌🤩
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Magicsky
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
Soooo its finally time for me to start painting my new house. I've never painted in my life (always rented).

What tools do I need? Best brushes? Rollers?

Thanks
OP thank you so much for this thread. We are in the same boat as you, we’ve always rented but we are all things we’ll completing on a house August 18th. We are also pretty lost with the decorating etc. Thank you /Diolch to everyone for the great tips. 😁
Magicsky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Pack of 4 as you always need more sleeves
And a good set of brushes that don’t shed
You can buy a lid now for your paint tray too
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Thank you everyone for the advice! Now just to decide on paint colours 😬
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Have to disagree with above post on roller size, perhaps just getting roller size mixed up, generally 9”. Small roller for doing behind radiators. Brushes for cutting in. Small set of steps and
Pole for doing ceiling. With painting like all jobs preparation is the key.
One way to get a lot done quickly is have a paint party with your friends. An afternoon painting and you provide the barbecue and beer for afterwards
I tried the 9inch roller and much prefer the smaller 6inch.

My dad's trade was a painter and decorator so he had all the tools of the trade so I had chance to try plenty and learn various techniques.

Personally I find more control with the smaller roller as it's smaller and lighter. I do use a bigger one for ceilings as I have a pole that screws into the end so I don't have to stand on anything.

All my trays and rollers etc are from early 90s when I got my first home. Dad also advised don't buy cheep. With brushes in particular the bristles come out as you paint.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
I tried the 9inch roller and much prefer the smaller 6inch.

My dad's trade was a painter and decorator so he had all the tools of the trade so I had chance to try plenty and learn various techniques.

Personally I find more control with the smaller roller as it's smaller and lighter. I do use a bigger one for ceilings as I have a pole that screws into the end so I don't have to stand on anything.

All my trays and rollers etc are from early 90s when I got my first home. Dad also advised don't buy cheep. With brushes in particular the bristles come out as you paint.
I bet your Dad used an 18" roller. I could never master a roller that size but I used to see the Painters using them with great skill.

Always nice to see a good Tradesman at work.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List