Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jul 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

How long would you spend in California?

Hi!

Usually we’d do two weeks I. Florida, but I’m considering doing California next year. I’d like to move around and do San Fransisco, LA and Disneyland Anaheim. I don’t know whether to do say ten days in California, or to do a week there and a week somewhere else?

Thanks!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
Hi!

Usually we’d do two weeks I. Florida, but I’m considering doing California next year. I’d like to move around and do San Fransisco, LA and Disneyland Anaheim. I don’t know whether to do say ten days in California, or to do a week there and a week somewhere else?

Thanks!
Can you do three weeks? TOTALLY worth it

Lots of people add San Diego as a must do.
Old 25 Jul 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Oh that’s good to know that there’s enough to do for that time, I wasn’t sure if it was a place people didn’t spend weeks in. We could possibly stretch to two weeks, I’m planning on it being a surprise for DH’s 40th so it means planning (and paying) myself.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I did 8 x Florida’s before I visited California and generally felt that 14,15,16 days worked well to start with, gradually reducing to an ideal 7 in Orlando on later visits as I took in other places USA wide as part of the trip.

California? If you are looking at a once only trip, I would go for 21 days minimum.. and that is just for California on the Coast, there is plenty N of SFO and also inland from the Coast. You are imho doing this fantastic location a disservice and also not appreciating distance.

These are imho fair numbers of days, should you hit it really hard.. and I am missing out plenty.

San Francisco 3 days minimum to take in Alcatraz, Cable cars, Haight Ashbury, Union Sq, Day cycling GG bridge Sausalito and Muir Woods, Golden gate park.. Disney Museum.

Monterey 2 days Whale watch, Aquarium and Cannery Row.

A day driving Big Sur, Pfeiffer burns, Bixby, Hearst Castle and Pismo. You will need an overnight (I suggest the Madonna Inn at SL Obispo on the way).. and even then you are a long way from LA when you get up next day. Solvang is another possible consideration for lunch or even an overnight as you proceed South.. very Danish.

LA 6 days plus, has Reagan Library in the Simi Valley, Santa Monica pier, 6 Flags at Valencia, Warner Bros Studios and Universal at Hollywood, Tour of sights of Hollywood, Knotts berry farm, RMS Queen Mary, USS Iowa etc etc.

Disney 3 days.

Yosemite? Never been, but 4 days seems reasonable, based on accounts of others.

San Diego? 5 days. The absolute jewel in the crown of the California Coast and certainly the best city along with Boston that I have ever visited.. Balboa park contains San Diego Zoo, various museums etc .. a mini Smithsonian! Then you have harbour tours, USS Midway, Top Gun stuff, Coronado Beach, the Mexican coastal border, Seaworld etc etc etc. It is beautiful.

Other places to consider?
17 Mile drive.
San Simeon
Solvang
Castle AFB
La Jolla
Legoland at Carlsbad
Malibu
Huntington Beach

It is worth remembering that even were you just to do as in your opening post, it is a 600 mile drive down the Coast or over 400 miles if you choose not to see the PCH. The last bit as you hit Greater LA is tortuous and can take several hours at snails pace.

Comparing Florida with California?.. There is no comparison.

I have so far been once in 2018 (see trippie in signature) and feel that I never even scratched the surface whilst driving 1200 miles in a fortnight. I have had 3 x further cancellations due to Covid, but will return in 2022 October.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:05 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Wow thanks! I didn’t want to fly all that way and not do it justice, I’ll have to sit and map out what I want to do and the distance. Is it possible to fly rather than drive?
Old 25 Jul 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I did 8 x Florida’s before I visited California and generally felt that 14,15,16 days worked well to start with, gradually reducing to an ideal 7 in Orlando on later visits as I took in other places USA wide as part of the trip.

California? If you are looking at a once only trip, I would go for 21 days minimum.. and that is just for California on the Coast. You are imho doing this fantastic location a disservice and also not appreciating distance.

These are imho fair numbers of days, should you hit it really hard.. and I am missing out plenty.

San Francisco 3 days minimum to take in Alcatraz, Cable cars, Haight Ashbury, Union Sq, Day cycling GG bridge Sausalito and Muir Woods, Golden gate park.. Disney Museum.

Monterey 2 days Whale watch, Aquarium and Cannery Row.

A day driving Big Sur, Pfeiffer burns, Bixby, Hearst Castle and Pismo. You will need an overnight (I suggest the Madonna Inn at SL Obispo on the way.. and even then you are a long way from LA.

LA 6 days plus, has Reagan Library, Santa Monica pier, 6 Flags at Valencia, Warner Bros Studios and Universal at Hollywood, Tour of sights of Hollywood, Knotts berry farm, RMS Queen Mary, USS Iowa etc etc.

Disney 3 days.

Yosemite? Never been, but 4 days seems reasonable, based on accounts of others.

San Diego? 5 days. The absolute jewel in the crown of the California Coast and certainly the best city along with Boston that I have ever visited.. Balboa park contains San Diego Zoo, various museums etc .. a mini Smithsonian! Then you have harbour tours, USS Midway, Top Gun stuff, Coronado Beach, the Mexican coastal border, Seaworld etc etc etc. It is beautiful.

Other places to consider?
17 Mile drive.
San Simeon
Solvang
Castle AFB
La Jolla
Legoland at Carlsbad
Malibu
Huntington Beach

It is worth remembering that even were you just to do as in your opening post, it is a 600 mile drive down the Coast or over 400 miles if you choose not to see the PCH. The last bit as you hit Greater LA is tortuous and can take several hours at snails pace.

Comparing Florida with California?.. There is no comparison.

I have so far been once in 2018 (see trippie in signature) and feel that I never even scratched the surface whilst driving 1200 miles in a fortnight. I have had 3 x further cancellations due to Covid, but will return in 2022 October.

Couldn't agree more - California is vast and varies so much. You wont see much in 14 days so target what you want to see and do

Top list from CFB but also dont discount places like Big Bear Lake, Mojave Desert is stunning, Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National park. All will blow you away with the stunning beauty and in South California but those alone would take atleast 10 days to enjoy
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Is it possible to fly rather than drive?
Yes you can easily fly between places but you may still need a car to explore (San Diego maybe being the exception where it is mainly walkable or uber)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I agree with everything everyone else has already said - there is so very much to see in California - and I don’t think anyone has even mentioned Santa Barbara which is my favourite place of the lot there! ❤️

Yes you could fly between cities, but I think the coastal drive is the highlight of a CA trip and I wouldn’t dream of skipping that 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I agree with everything everyone else has already said - there is so very much to see in California - and I don’t think anyone has even mentioned Santa Barbara which is my favourite place of the lot there! ❤️

Yes you could fly between cities, but I think the coastal drive is the highlight of a CA trip and I wouldn’t dream of skipping that 👍
Santa Barbara is also one of the my favourite places. Would gladly spend the rest of my life there, I’ll have to start back doing the lotto 😂

OP could certainly fly from SFO to John Wayne airport and home from LAX but I think it would be a shame especially if this is a first and maybe a one off. California is almost twice the size of the U.K., 1.75 times bigger I think, with about half the population. It’s huge, has incredible natural beauty, National parks, several major cities, stunning coastline, deserts, vineyards, theme parks…I don’t think you could do it all if you had 90 days but you’ll get lots of suggestions here and help with planning a workable itinerary.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Wow thanks! I didn’t want to fly all that way and not do it justice, I’ll have to sit and map out what I want to do and the distance. Is it possible to fly rather than drive?
Firstly, the list I compiled above is by no means exhaustive and in addition, those attractions are pretty evenly dispersed. You might not want to simply fly over the top of them at 41,000’, particularly the PCH.
The Metropolitan area of Los Angeles is nearly 100 miles x 30 miles, 4850 square miles of which over 2000 square miles are continuous conurbation.

I have been looking at mapping out this October in preparation for Oct 2022, prices, research and all that stuff.

Significant airports that may come into play and which all seem to have direct flights to each other are as follows…

San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, John Wayne, Los Angeles Int, Burbank (Hollywood), San Diego. Of these, if looking for short cuts, the San Luis Obispo may prove rather useful, even though many do not even know that it has an Airport.

In my personal case, I would add Tucson, Phoenix and Las Vegas to that list.

Costs? Well, whether you are hand baggage or otherwise is important. Also bear in mind that checking in, security, getting to gate, boarding, deboarding, baggage reclaim and then getting to final destination can take considerably longer than simply driving. Whilst internal flights often don’t take long in flying time, the hassle that goes with it often does.

I believe (perhaps wrongly) that you need to do some deep research in order to work out what a California trip might entail for your family group. A decent start may be the trip report link in my signature as it is single thread and thus, hopefully a simple read and will give you a decent overview.
There are then other trip reports, that go into far greater detail on specific attractions.

Whatever you do, California is very much a vacation that you must tailor to your own personal requirements. It truly is a bespoke and DIY matter and in all honesty, remarkably simple to both plan and execute.
For example, you are clearly looking at Disneyland as a major attraction and many Dibbers would agree with you. Me? Having been there, I have no intention of returning.
As I said, have a read of my trippie?

Hoping this helps you!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:18 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List