Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 17, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
alfafan
Gone all Goofy

I rarely tip 18%. Always 15% or 20% coz it's easier to work out in my head
alfafan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WDWMAD View Post
I know about tipping and always have tipped since we first went, but, I didn't know if people were expected to tip the full amount on bills that came to around $200 or whether restaurants realised it was a lot. Being only 2 adults and 1 child it has never really come to that much before.
Ah, I see.

Yes (unfortunately ) you will see suggested % gratuities on even the highest of restaurant bills. Can be a bit of a shock, especially with Disney prices!

Just needs factoring in.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WDWMAD View Post
I know about tipping and always have tipped since we first went, but, I didn't know if people were expected to tip the full amount on bills that came to around $200 or whether restaurants realised it was a lot. Being only 2 adults and 1 child it has never really come to that much before.
If anything, tipping is even more expected the higher you go up...

I don't want to sound harsh here but they aren't the people who didn't realise the costs involved
3family is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Coke is free refills. I don't know about a $1 but I probably would have given 50c for each coke.
I think he'd feel embarrassed just leaving 50c after each drink which is why he tipped at the end

Another confusing one: when we are checking out of our room we call bell services, we generally have two med cases and one holdall, we give him $5, then when we get down to the lobby we ask the guy on the desk to get our luggage and there is another $5, are we doing this right. Sorry I'm asking you as a local thinking you'd know, I'd hate to under-tip but we don't have money to throw around, our holiday has taken a lot of cutting back and saving to get.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
I think he'd feel embarrassed just leaving 50c after each drink which is why he tipped at the end

Another confusing one: when we are checking out of our room we call bell services, we generally have two med cases and one holdall, we give him $5, then when we get down to the lobby we ask the guy on the desk to get our luggage and there is another $5, are we doing this right. Sorry I'm asking you as a local thinking you'd know, I'd hate to under-tip but we don't have money to throw around, our holiday has taken a lot of cutting back and saving to get.
We generally tip a dollar a bag. Maybe a 5 if it's end of holiday and the money is just ending up in a draw back home.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I tend to tip virtually all the time in the UK and have tipped all but once in US for food and drinks. i err on the side of giving tip even if service is meh. (The one time was 20 plus years ago and the waitress was off with us. She actually followed us over to till. We never complained to manager but perhaps should have.) I went to Florida several times before I joined the Dibb and I cant remember if I just tipped because its what I do and whether I knew regarding the US system regarding taxes.

The reason I mention this is I dont know how aware non Dibbers are aware regarding US system.

Seems a shame if Brits are culturally known as being more careful with their money.
Old 25 May 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post

Sounds about right.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Yep it's just that easy for them, isn't it? *roll eyes*
An impossible question to answer given the knowledge that the average Brit has about the Orlando/USA economy and the qualifications together with experience of the server in question.

Or do you know more?

Disney332
Old 25 May 17, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Tipping always causes arguments on here! ..If you walk into Tuttos & the bill is $150 they expect $30 tip if you give 20% ,if you walk into Narcosis & the bill comes to $300 you would be expected to pay $60 tip for exactly the same servce,just a more expensive meal! Dont be swayed or bullied into the amount you tip,it is a gratuity! It IS expected more in the States but the amount remains your choice!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 3family View Post
I don't want to sound harsh here but they aren't the people who didn't realise the costs involved
Not sure what point you are making here?
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread