Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 16, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Thanks Mr Tom Morrow,

We're with Alamo,booked through Virgin Holidays online.

All paid for up front and I've already done skip the counter (using your sticky!)

Cheers
-Florida2016- is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by -Florida2016- View Post
Thanks Mr Tom Morrow,

We're with Alamo,booked through Virgin Holidays online.

All paid for up front and I've already done skip the counter (using your sticky!)

Cheers
I missed your rental was with Alamo so I have just changed my post! Have a look at the SunPass link. It gives you the max admin fee chargeable etc.
Good value if you use it. I don't but no reason really.

If you do pay cash ask for a reciept. My friend got hit for a fine and he knows he paid cash, the guy in the toll booth pocketed the money!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
One more question mick if I may.

You mention a toll pass. We're collecting our vehicle from MCO and staying in Windsor Hills, close to Disney. We'll mainly be travelling to and from the parks (Disney, universal, Busch, seaworld) and doing some shopping in the Premium Outlets. Is a toll pass worth it? Or, in your opinion, is it just a easy to pay cash?

Thanks again
Toll passes are a bit like Marmite on here and, to be honest, the pros and cons both have equal merits. There are Dibbers that know all you need to know about them and they may pick up on this thread.

We don't bother with one as we probably pass through a toll no more than a dozen times every holiday and it's no hardship to me to slow down for 30 seconds to pay a toll.

The main tourist roads around WH are I-4, US 192 and maybe US27 and you can do all your parks and shopping using these roads. Unless you go the back door 429 way into WDW which is a toll or shop at the Loop by going on the Osceola Parkway which has a toll near the Loop.

You will however encounter tolls if you choose the 417 from MCO. I use these Streetview photos so much I probably owe Google some royalties

If you opt out of Sunpass don't stress about getting change at the airport. This may be the first toll. Keep right, give them no more than a $20 bill and ask for change.

You will need the quarters to throw in the bucket at unmanned tolls like this which are usually at exit plazas.

There are no cashless tolls in the Orlando area

Mick
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Toll passes are a bit like Marmite on here and, to be honest, the pros and cons both have equal merits. There are Dibbers that know all you need to know about them and they may pick up on this thread.

We don't bother with one as we probably pass through a toll no more than a dozen times every holiday and it's no hardship to me to slow down for 30 seconds to pay a toll.

The main tourist roads around WH are I-4, US 192 and maybe US27 and you can do all your parks and shopping using these roads. Unless you go the back door 429 way into WDW which is a toll or shop at the Loop by going on the Osceola Parkway which has a toll near the Loop.

You will however encounter tolls if you choose the 417 from MCO. I use these Streetview photos so much I probably owe Google some royalties

If you opt out of Sunpass don't stress about getting change at the airport. This may be the first toll. Keep right, give them no more than a $20 bill and ask for change.

You will need the quarters to throw in the bucket at unmanned tolls like this which are usually at exit plazas.

There are no cashless tolls in the Orlando area

Mick
Mick. SunPass are going to charge you soon for using their pictures

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As per Debra above.
The problem is a load of websites are way out of date and people read them and then get confused through no fault of their own.

No code
No IDP
No paper counterpart

Good to go then - the only quirk is those who never had a photocard license which doesn't apply to you.
So whats the 'quirk' if you've not got a photo licience (thats me & DH)? Hoping I haven't missed some important info
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
So whats the 'quirk' if you've not got a photo licience (thats me & DH)? Hoping I haven't missed some important info
Not a problem. You must also present your passport alongside the paper license when picking up your vehicle and have both with you at all times you are driving.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by UncleLatch View Post
Not a problem. You must also present your passport alongside the paper license when picking up your vehicle and have both with you at all times you are driving.
Oh that's ok we already do that lol! Thought there may be a new rule for a minute Thanks
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

You two are a wealth of information!

Sorry to labour the toll question...I just want to get this straight in my head.

Am I right in thinking the following?

*As my rental is with Alamo, I'm already opted into SunPass. However, there's no need for me to do anything to opt out. I can simply use the cash lanes and keep the receipts to prove payment and there shouldnt be any charge

*If I do choose to use SunPass, there's a $3.95 daily charge on top of any toll up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental. The only advantage I can see to this is that I don't have to mess with cash/change whilst driving.

Thanks again guys
-Florida2016- is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

You two are a wealth of information!

Sorry to labour the toll question...I just want to get this straight in my head.

Am I right in thinking the following?

*As my rental is with Alamo, I'm already opted into SunPass. However, there's no need for me to do anything to opt out. I can simply use the cash lanes and keep the receipts to prove payment and there shouldnt be any charge

*If I do choose to use SunPass, there's a $3.95 daily charge on top of any toll up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental. The only advantage I can see to this is that I don't have to mess with cash/change whilst driving.

Thanks again guys
Yes, thats all correct
Old 20 Apr 16, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
Yes, thats all correct
Yes ELLENUT is right.
I keep saying it (I should be on commission!) Alamo have a great 'business model' hence their popularity.

Closed Thread