Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Dec 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Some people for what ever reason don’t ‘fit’ into the normal job culture and for those selling the big issue may be the only ‘job’ that they can do - short or long term - if it helps create some normality and a regular income then great - it’s not causing me any harm.
I’ve known a big issue seller for years and I know the reason that he is an adhoc seller - when ever I see him always have a quick catch up - give him the money for a magazine and wish him well

MEZZA is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Some interesting points made thanks guys. I just did some googling and apparently a fair amount of people who sell the big issue are claiming benefits and housing allowances etc and are not declaring the income they make from selling the big issue (so are on the fiddle).

This really is my dilemma (as well as others), because when I have bought the big issue I haven't particularly enjoyed its contents, but have only bought it to help the person selling it, but if they are are already claiming benefits then that is a concern to me.

I very much dislike anyone who is pushy trying to get my money, whether that's to sell me double glazing or take money for a charity (or their own charity in the case of the big issue).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I used to buy it regularly from the same young lad who did try really hard to get on his feet. He told me one day he was leaving town to go and work down south with his dad, who was a kitchen fitter. Before long he was back in town selling the Big Issue. Soon afterwards I learned he had died as a result of a drug overdose. He was a nice lad, always clean and polite so I was happy to buy from him and very sad at what happened.
I stopped buying it a couple of years ago as we had some very aggressive and rude vendors, one in particular stood at the door to M&S. I often didn’t go into the shop to avoid getting shouted at he was awful.
Our current sellers all seem to be Eastern European and have just suddenly appeared since the start of December. They are polite but I haven’t bought 1, though I am happy to hand over an occasional few coins.

Edited at 02:38 PM.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I bought a copy a few years ago. It was full of left wing ‘clap trap’ as well as animal rights...

Not bought it since, god knows what it’s like now.
Old 24 Dec 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Halowa View Post
I bought a copy a few years ago. It was full of left wing ‘clap trap’ as well as animal rights...

Not bought it since, god knows what it’s like now.
Pesky animals. I mean what have they ever done for us?
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

A few years ago there was a very intimidating one who used to stand next to the trolley bag at a small supermarket I went to, she'd see you getting your pound back from the trolley and stand there expecting it. I didn't mind and would always give it to her, I went there a couple of times a month so it wasn't a big deal. Then one day the supermarket didn't have an item I really wanted but I did my usual gave the woman the pound and then went back the next day to see it they had any new stock in, when I left I told the woman I saw you yesterday and gave her a friendly smile, I received the death glare, worse than any my teenage daughters had ever given it and boy they could be bad. I actually stopped going to that store for a while but the next time I did the guy on the cash desk told me they'd had lots of complaints about her and she'd gone.

I actually now don't give any money to anybody on the streets but give to a charity near me that is very good with helping homeless people.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A street cat named Bob was a great story and selling the big issue helped His owner a lot. Some of the big issue sellers look like beggars. One used sit outside sainsburys and looked dirty and unapproachable. I don’t buy them but have given to food banks two weeks running!
Old 24 Dec 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

I will start with saying I haven’t read any post and very rarely read the Big issue when I’ve bought it but this is what happened to me. I was recently buying one outside local Sainsbury’s ( small shop ) from a young lady, when a large middle aged man in large Range Rover pulling out of a parking space next to entrance leaned right out the window and shouted a me what was I buying that for she’s only doing it for benefits, it was zero degrees going dark and she had a blanket wrapped over her coat, that incident made me wobble my head and reminded me what I had been brought up to believe about people and what I’ve tried to teach my kids, and what I should vote, we can all be cynical about people and situations maybe we should try not to.
Old 24 Dec 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

This thread has opened my eyes to the Big Issue and had be reading their website
It appears it is very much seen as a job , and not necessarily just for homeless people , even though that’s how it started.
There doesn’t appear to be any ‘ barriers to entry’ to stop anyone doing it to earns bit of extra money

Deciding whether to buy or not is a tough choice when you don’t know how desperate the situation of the vendor is - assuming you are buying it to help them rather than for the magazine content.
They could be homeless and desperate ,be living in temporary accommodation , could be an addict ( drugs , alcohol or gambling ) , could be doing it because they can earn better money selling it than getting other employment , could be doing it to get untaxed cash on top of existing benefits , could be a legal refugee or an illegal immigrant could be a traveller , could have health issues , could be just an independent free spirit

( all the above assumes no checks are done or sellers - I am not sure if this is the case or not but the website isn’t clear )

The list goes on . You may be happy to give to none , some or all of the above categories , but there doesn’t appear to be a way of checking if the person you are giving to fits into s category you are happy to give to
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
This is exactly the point being made. If Big Issue jobs have now become jobs for life and not jobs to help people get over a situation then just how do those people get the help they need?
Ok let’s say a homeless BI seller improves their lot and is able to rent a small flat, just how do you expect that person to pay rent, electricity, food etc?

They still have to work, and as Big Issue say themselves, the seller is running their own micro business. They have to buy the magazines at £1.25 each and sell at £2.50 so when you hand over your £2.50 they are only making 1/2 of that.
Do you suggest a time limit that they could be a seller? I can’t see how that would work as some are less successful than others at selling.

I’d much rather give my£2.50 to a BI seller rather than drop it into an empty paper cup being held by someone sotting outside Greggs as per your example. Harsh? Maybe, but my funds available is limited, and I’d rather give to someone who seems to be making an attempt.

My opinion of course. I’ve posted to give another perspective to discuss .
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List