Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jul 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Anyone been out to see the comet?

As the comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) was only discovered at the end of March this year. It is a surprise guest in the night sky.

You could say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see comet with your naked eyes.

We went out to our local county park last night to get the best Northern view we could. This was around 11:30pm. As the sun now doesn't dip much below the horizon it is still quite light and the comet is low in the Northern sky.

As it only went around the sun a few days ago the tail is massive. Comet tails always trail away from the sun regardless of the direction it is travelling in.

It should be getting higher in the sky until the 23rd. So if there is a clear night go out and see it. Look for a smudge in the North and grab some binoculars if you have some.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I didnt know and will try and spot it Thanks) London light pollution permitted

I have seen quiet a few in my life and remember seeing Haley’s comet with my naked eye back in the 80’s. It’s a great phenomenon but not that rare - our Father used to drive us out to Belvior as children to see them and we kept a diary so seen a fair few over the years here and in Joshua Tree national park which is great for sky spotting - never fail to amaze me
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you I’ll have a look tonight... should be clear as the weathers nice ... and look to the north you say ... hopefully I’ll be lucky ... mind you I couldn’t spot that satellite skytrain thing 😱😂
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
This is tonight at 11pm. Over the next few days it will fade as it gets further from the sun.

Old 12 Jul 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Comet NEOWISE

Comet NEOWISE burns brightly in the very early hours of Sunday morning above Stonehenge (Credit: Mr Jeff Overs)

Anyone seen the comet yet?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

There were some great shots in the Sunday press I read online too - one over Stonehenge was awesome. Really would have loved to have been there to see that myself
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
This is tonight at 11pm. Over the next few days it will fade as it gets further from the sun.

Thanx Simon, I will be looking tonight, as I suspect all the followers of the SpaceX thread will be.

Disney332
Old 12 Jul 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smax View Post
as the comet c/2020 f3 (neowise) was only discovered at the end of march this year. It is a surprise guest in the night sky.

You could say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see comet with your naked eyes.

We went out to our local county park last night to get the best northern view we could. This was around 11:30pm. As the sun now doesn't dip much below the horizon it is still quite light and the comet is low in the northern sky.

As it only went around the sun a few days ago the tail is massive. Comet tails always trail away from the sun regardless of the direction it is travelling in.

It should be getting higher in the sky until the 23rd. So if there is a clear night go out and see it. Look for a smudge in the north and grab some binoculars if you have some.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
I would love to see this the Plough is usually over the back of our house, which direction would I look from this?
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
In my image in post 4 Ursa Major is "The Plough" so to the right and down as shown. You will need a clear view of the horizon though.