Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Psoriasis

Hi All,

In Jan I was out walking my dog, and he ran in to some bushes near the canal to do his business, and snagged his little waterproof high/vis on a tree, and I went in after it. I was bitten badly, which caused huge lumps and hot swellings.
I went to the docs a couple of times as they weren't going down, and was given steroid/anti biotic cream, then two types of anti-biotics and they didn't go.
The swelling went down over a 6 month period, but I was left with big round scaly sores (some £1 coin, some £2 size or bigger), that were itchy, dry and scabby, and would bleed when caught/itched.

Well I went back the other day just to mention them to the docs when I got my thyroid meds topped up, and I was diagnosed with psoriasis. Apparently it can attack specific weakened spots, and as I already have a mild auto immune disease I'm weakened.

The doc gave me some Vit D and steroid cream which has helped already. However it has also popped up on my scalp.

Any tips past the end of my steroid cream? Unfortunately my skin type is not suitable at all for sun beds.

Diet tips etc? I'm going to cut down on alcohol and try to lose weight, but any tips welcome

Thanks
Old 24 Sep 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

I have a scalp lotion which doesn’t help when I’m using it strangely, but about a week later, it has almost gone so obviously takes time to work
I’ve tried all steroid lotions, creams and nothing really improves mine except the sun and I have been using oil rather than cream, sometime a loccitane oil or maybe a Clarins oil and it seems to be improving
I’ve recently seen a great report for turmeric butter and hypoallergenic milk salve, what a difference in the persons skin, so I’m going to order that £10 for a tube but gets a great write up
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

I also have a patch on my scalp and it drives me nuts but I see it as a waste of the doctors time to make an appt. so interested to hear what other people use
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Hey

I have had psoriasis for 18 years and at once point was completely covered - I have had sun therapy and numerous steroids and creams.

The only thing to ease mine has been Dovobet gel, which I use on my face and hairline, and Entistilar spray which has cleared my body a lot - The Entistilar is a relatively new aerosol type spray which a lot of Doctors haven't heard of, it's also quite expensive for them to prescribe so you may find you need to fight to get them to issue it (I had to get sent some from someone on a Facebook support group and show before and after pics)

xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I have psoriatic arthritis as well as psoriasis. I was put on methotrexate for the arthritis and the skin/scalp patches also disappeared. However, probably not much help for you unless arthritis strikes too!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I have psoriatic arthritis as well as psoriasis. I was put on methotrexate for the arthritis and the skin/scalp patches also disappeared. However, probably not much help for you unless arthritis strikes too!
I’ve just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis
It’s been almost a relief to know what was wrong with me
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

I feel your pain, Dovonex which is non steroidal which is a vit D analogue helps, comes as a scalp solution too. For the itch I find a good moisturising regime which I follow really helps., I use Kiel’s lotion and the oil both of which help. just started taking a vit D supplement to see if that helps. I use the Kiel’s soap cleansing bar in the shower which doesn’t leave my skin feeling dry, good moisturiser for the face too. Strange when in Orlando wearing shorts it disappears. Dovobet , which has steroid, helps but only used sparingly. Strongly agree with others who have to fight to get Dovobet but it does help but shouldn’t be used long term. Sorry for the long post but I know how horrid it can be at times. One other thing do not come off the steroid creams cold turkey keep cutting it back to just about level this helps .Sorry to keep going launder clothes in non bio detergents, I find these don’t make me itch. We need a whole library on this subject.

Edited at 02:01 PM.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I am the same. I have found though that after a couple of years the psoriasis has come back. No where near as bad ( was 89% covered and have been hospitalised 3 times and had various sessions of light therapy).

OP, I don't think the scalp psoriasis ever completely goes, I have tried lots of shampoos and creams, none of them have worked .
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post

The only thing that ever seems to help my scalp psoriasis is hair dye, it goes completely for a few months then before returning!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thankyou very much everyone, it is mild at the moment, about 9-10 coin size sores, and a bit in my scalp, but it is better on the steroid and vitamin D cream already in a couple of days. I've been told 4 weeks max, so just need to think about the future, and what I can use on my scalp, I use T-gel which does help a bit, just not enough