Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Mobile

Rescue places are closed atm so won’t be updating websites . Many still are raking in animals though so be patient .

We have allways managed to get rescued dogs and I’ve had 2 kids ( one is 23 now but youngest is 10 and we rescued our 2 dogs when he was 2)

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don’t think it is normal to get a kennel for a dog, when would you expect to use it? I can’t imagine mine being too happy with a kennel!
I also wonder if a rescue dog would adapt to a kennel, and also would a rescue centre allow a dog to go to a home that was going to be kenneled, even if only now and again.

OP seems to be taking all advice on board, as with most things final decision will come down to the family. Good luck
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kcstyle View Post
Ah ok I will definitely look at that - even without a dog for £8 that could save me £500!
More Importantly it could save the dog 🤣
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

I honestly didn't think about a garden kennel before this and TBH the consensus is no kennel and its a small dog and we are home it doesn't seem like something we would get. I also wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it outside incase its attacked or stolen?

We will be going with pretending we have a dog (I know its not the same but gets you in the frame of mind!) and seeing what the rescue centres have round here when they re-open.

I did explain to everyone in the family its not a definite and it might take over a year before one comes up that would suit us.
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

We will be going with pretending we have a dog (I know its not the same but gets you in the frame of mind!) and seeing what the rescue centres have round here when they re-open.
Each evening that it’s raining take the family for a walk and see how everyone feels then.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Each evening that it’s raining take the family for a walk and see how everyone feels then.
Nice I like that!

So we are going for a walk everyday after lunch - I'll force them if it's raining!
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Nice I like that!

So we are going for a walk everyday after lunch - I'll force them if it's raining!
If you are thinking of a puppy then who ever is on puppy duty needs to get up every few hours in the night to take him out for a wee while he’s being trained. Also, this pic might help... puppy teeth are so sharp...

arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Puppy teeth are awful - there’s no hiding that. We thought we’d bought a Labrador, we’d actually bought a dinosaur 😂. But he’s perfect, mental but perfect.

We have always had dogs, never ever put them outside (maybe accidentally shut the door on them a few times when we thought they’d already come back in!) and it’s not something we would do. We did get a crate with the newest, because we were looking at moving house and could do without the kitchen being chewed up prior to a move. I hated crate and was against it. However he loves it. A year on and he asks to go in by himself, he loves it so we won’t take it away now.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Would it be possible to offer to look after a friend's dog for a little while, maybe if after lockdown they go away for a break, that will give you a better idea of if it suits your family? I'm so glad you are putting a lot of thought into this though if you do get a dog I'm sure it will be loved very much
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Our dog sleeps in a crate at night and is the best thing for him and us. We take him on holidays with us when we can but does limit on where we can go and how long we can go out for. When we go on longer holidays we’ve been lucky to have friends who he’s been to stay with and he was only in kennels once (really didn’t go
Very well). We’ve had him 14 years, he was a rescue dog which brought many challenges. It’s only in the last 2 years he’s stopped trying to bite people as they left and barked at everyone and everything. We had 1 on 1 behavioural training and the trainer gave up on him. We found out last week that he doesn’t have long left with us so it’s nice that we are all at home all day so we can be with him and spoil him.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List