Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Apr 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ1
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Our daily calls are at 9am so it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do that either!

I do have a friend that's in a very different line of work to me and his team have a Zoom call at 4pm on a Friday where it's relaxed, there's a little 'pub-quiz' and they all drink a bottle of beer. They all log off for the weekend following that call. I think he's said before that they have Friday lunch time beers in the office too. Just goes to show that different professions/work places have quite different cultures and attitudes to what's acceptable.
We do this on a Friday too!
AJ1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Just to add that your employer still has a duty of care to ensure that you have the equipment you need to work from home safely - if you connect a laptop to a screen in the office then you should do this at home.
You need a decent desk area - not sitting on the sofa on a laptop - this includes a chair, ideally an office chair.
Not everyone will have the space to work from home fully so if you can't work safely then perhaps you shouldnt be working.
Adjustments in hours may also be necessary
They may have a duty of care, but good luck to them providing me a house with an office where I can set up a desk and office chair that they will provide (not).

I used to work in an office until we went into lockdown. Now I work 90% of the time from home. I don't have a separate room to work in and so I either work in the kitchen at the dinner table or in the conservatory if the temperature is ok (it can get a bit hot when the sun is shining). It's not ideal but neither is anything about this pandemic. I am otherwise quite fortunate - my daughter is old enough at 18 that she can look after herself. It would be a pain if she was primary school age and I respect anyone who is managing to work from home with younger kids.

The wi-fi and broadband generally works ok - sometimes it's a bit slow but that's usually because of my work's IT network not the public broadband network. We tend to steer away from video conferencing because it doesn't work that well. Telephone conferencing works ok, although it's not as good as face-to-face meeting.

My company is generally pretty reasonable and understands that normal rules don't really apply at the moment. Our customer still expects us to work as quickly as before, which is a bit difficult at times. It tends to mean that I'm working more than I used to.

A part of me envies those people who now post on social media that they are struggling to find things to do during lockdown or are now finding the time to do new things. If anything, I now have slightly less time to do things than previously. But at least I still have a job so I guess I shouldn't envy those that don't.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d suggest she picks up the phone , there’s no wait time through to Sky broadband tech at the moment .
(I’m looking at the call flow )

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
My daughter is working from home, if I were not here I am unsure how "professional" she would be She is a single parent with a 5 yr old who needs looking after and homeschooling, all of which I am doing but for how long I am unsure, as I am, to be honest, pretty tired. Her company have paid for chairs and desks but she is still having to work from her bedroom. As she is in HR and at a high level, conference calls etc are a nightmare as the broadband provider, pre lockdown, did not process her new internet contract (Sky fibre optic) correctly, it was three weeks and the into lockdown before they actually connected her and not super speed whatever it is called but more hamster level. She has tried contacting them but it appears that call levels are high and whilst her call is important to them, she either is holding on for so long the lines cut out or she loses the will to live!

I think many firms will when this is all over, increase home working and online conference calls which is not a bad thing for the environment re travel etc, however, the fundamental issue of childcare remains and until schools and holiday clubs etc open we are in this predicament of people perfectly able to work from home but not with young children who require full-time attention.

I have said it before, I admire working parents very much it is a real struggle at the best of times and now it must be really difficult Hats off to you all

Edited at 05:21 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

At the moment I am having to be teacher and wfh so it’s a tough but really the working part is easy ,it’s the teaching I struggle with .
Our employer expect some interruptions and it’s not frowned upon as they know it’s not under normal circumstances and the meetings are all amongst ourselves ,not with customers.
My dh is director of services for a very large telecommunications company and even his bosses have had their children and pets on the screen sometimes , he wouldn’t normally when he used to wfh once/ twice a week but at the moment it just lightens the mood and everyone is understanding about it .
Would dh and I like to do this full time ?
Hell no , wfh is boring !
I’d much rather be out seeing people everyday and I didn’t even think I liked people ..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i work from home 100% for last 2 decades & pretty much on/off all my working life

we have to commit to provide an office/space to use & receive a small (taxable) home working allowance to cover broadband/heating/electricity etc. I use the boxroom as an office

a lot of jobs can be done from home but this isnt always the best option long term as an professional office is always better than a laptop on the kitchen bench. my mrs is working from home but has set up on the dining room table so this couldnt really be a long term option. There is also GDPR so take into consideration , she prints stuff payslips etc etc that under scrutiny shouldnt really be outside the office environment but its all bets are off at the minute
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LadyFromage View Post
I am furloughed and my husband is IT office based in central London but at the current time is WFH

Ive taken on the role of teacher for our 9 year old and our 14 year old has online lessons.

I will be back to work as soon as non essential shops open but unsure how thats going to work. The children are self sufficient and DH can continue to work in the dining room but he won't be able to teach DD2 at the same time.
His company will be having a phased return to the office but again, how will we manage without the schools/holiday camps open?
Employers will have to realise schools aren’t open and unless the parents are key workers they will have to expect parents not be able to come in.

It’s all very well businesses trying phased returns, but until schools and nurseries are reopened it’s not going to be particularly successful for many.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I disagree , my feeling is if equipped properly it’s just geography but often without the distractions of a busy office.
Proper desk, chair, equipment etc is essential
A laptop of the sofa or at the kitchen table isn’t good enough.
It may be manageable short term but not for the long haul.

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i work from home 100% for last 2 decades & pretty much on/off all my working life

we have to commit to provide an office/space to use & receive a small (taxable) home working allowance to cover broadband/heating/electricity etc. I use the boxroom as an office

a lot of jobs can be done from home but this isnt always the best option long term as an professional office is always better than a laptop on the kitchen bench. my mrs is working from home but has set up on the dining room table so this couldnt really be a long term option. There is also GDPR so take into consideration , she prints stuff payslips etc etc that under scrutiny shouldnt really be outside the office environment but its all bets are off at the minute
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I’d suggest she picks up the phone , there’s no wait time through to Sky broadband tech at the moment .
(I’m looking at the call flow )
Funnily enough, as I finished typing she came down and said she’d got through. Whilst refunds etc were given the issue surrounding speedy v slowly wasn’t as they’re, apparently, dependent on BT open reach, who she is told, are very slow at dealing with calls.

We wait and live in hope. Thanks
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Employers will have to realise schools aren’t open and unless the parents are key workers they will have to expect parents not be able to come in.

It’s all very well businesses trying phased returns, but until schools and nurseries are reopened it’s not going to be particularly successful for many.
My daughter and I were talking about this today. MT GS is five and in early years at school. If I was not here she would be working from home with a five year old, unless schools and holiday clubs open I think I’ll be here until August/September. Most employers will be dependent on schools etc opening before their staff can return.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Funnily enough, as I finished typing she came down and said she’d got through. Whilst refunds etc were given the issue surrounding speedy v slowly wasn’t as they’re, apparently, dependent on BT open reach, who she is told, are very slow at dealing with calls.

We wait and live in hope. Thanks

Sounds odd , for external issues OR are pretty quick at the moment all things considered , despite the fact they have fewer engineers due to illness or isolation they are also doing minimal visits to homes for obvious reasons which has freed up more.
If it lingers on PM me and I’ll take a look if you like.