Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 May 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
waterbaby75
Excited about Disney

Travel Insurance help - moving house

We are in the process of buying a new build, it was meant to be finished at the end of May but they shut the site down as soon as Boris announced the lockdown. They (Miller Homes) emailed yesterday to say that they will be starting back Monday 11th May but it will take them longer as they still have to observe social distancing where possible, and there's a lack of building materials. So, they recon that they will be delayed 2-3 months all in all, which would take us to end of July-end of August...

We are booked to go to Florida on the 3rd August, final balance due end of May, I've read our insurance policy but I can't figure out if we would be able to cancel and get a refund because of the ne completion date for the house?

Might be cancelled anyway because of Corona! Just trying to figure out if we should pay the balance or not at the end of May...
waterbaby75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Have you told your solicitor your holiday dates? If not I suggest you do that. I'm a secretary in the conveyancing department of a firm of solicitors and it's useful for solicitors to know.

Edited at 05:29 PM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by waterbaby75 View Post
We are in the process of buying a new build, it was meant to be finished at the end of May but they shut the site down as soon as Boris announced the lockdown. They (Miller Homes) emailed yesterday to say that they will be starting back Monday 11th May but it will take them longer as they still have to observe social distancing where possible, and there's a lack of building materials. So, they recon that they will be delayed 2-3 months all in all, which would take us to end of July-end of August...

We are booked to go to Florida on the 3rd August, final balance due end of May, I've read our insurance policy but I can't figure out if we would be able to cancel and get a refund because of the ne completion date for the house?

Might be cancelled anyway because of Corona! Just trying to figure out if we should pay the balance or not at the end of May...
You need to read your policy and talk to the policy provider but it would be the first travel insurance policyi have heard of that allowed cancellation for moving house but you never know unless you ask.

You may be cancelled anyway, that's a risk, probably easier to forfit the deposit and not pay the balance unless you can put off your move until after your holiday.

Talk to your insurance provider
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BallisticJack
Earning More Ears

Given all the uncertainty in the house build lead times why don't you just get your conveyancer to declare the dates that don't work from a completion date standpoint (i.e. when you are due to be holiday) sooner rather later.

The developer can hardly object this far out when they themselves will be so unsure of dates. You can always change your mind on dates nearer the time if the holiday gets cancelled because of Corona.
BallisticJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
waterbaby75
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by BallisticJack View Post
Given all the uncertainty in the house build lead times why don't you just get your conveyancer to declare the dates that don't work from a completion date standpoint (i.e. when you are due to be holiday) sooner rather later.

The developer can hardly object this far out when they themselves will be so unsure of dates. You can always change your mind on dates nearer the time if the holiday gets cancelled because of Corona.
Brilliant advice, that’s what will do!
waterbaby75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

As above, I would look at delaying completion rather than missing a holiday altogether (which I realise might happen anyway, but you never know).

There’s a good chance of further delays anyway, so it would be a shame to miss your holiday and not even get your new house out of it! Our house is a new build, and everyday run of the mill delays meant our completion date ended up delayed from May to June (when our daughter was due, so we had explained that their delay meant we might have to defer completion ourselves) to December! I went from planning to move house at 8 months pregnant to planning a house move with a newborn to finally moving with a 6 month old!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List