Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Feb 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile Flying home today - storm - potential issues - pls help!

I am due to fly home from Orlando MCO to LGW today. I know there have been storms / weather warnings in the U.K.

I received the following text from Virgin this morning:
Due to bad weather forecast for the UK this weekend we are offering customers who are due to fly to London with us on 8 February the option to change to an alternative date, free of charge. If you have booked with us directly and wish to change your date of travel, please contact our SMS messaging service on 07481 339184. From a US number, text 97634. If you have booked through Virgin Holidays or a travel agent, please contact them

My flight still says ‘on time’ on the Virgin app.

I don’t know what to do. We have no ‘huge’ commitments at home, ie. everything will tick over without us for another day or two. We are two adults only. I’m worried that our flight will either be cancelled, have terrible turbulence or we’ll have to land at another airport.

Does anyone have any advice for me please? Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do?

Thank you!

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Haven't been in the situation but if you can spare a couple of days and can afford to go into a nice hotel then why not? Then no anxiety over landing in bad weather. If it is bothering you now imagine how you will feel on a flight for 9 hours.
Ciano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Gatwick has an amber warning for heavy winds and rain in place from 8am tomorrow. I would change if I had the option to do so for free. I’m not a nervous flyer but it’s far easier to delay for a day or two and stay where you are than end up diverted to somewhere else.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It is a personal decision whether to change but if you are considering changing it is better to do it as soon as possible as the choice of flights could be limited as well as seating arrangements. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

VS 27 is half way across the Atlantic at the moment.

Bear in mind that EC261 will not be payable due to any delays being weather related but if a flight is cancelled VS (or BA) are obliged to give duty of care.

Edited at 03:56 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

If the 2 days aren’t going to spoil anything at home and you can change and get a hotel then I would do it. You’ll be settled once you’ve made a decision and have 2 extra days to enjoy.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I think if I could get the extra day or two off work in the circumstances, I’d probably change. Perhaps have a look at whether you can extend where you are currently staying/if any other close hotels have availability and consider it more from there? Good luck whatever you decide
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Thanks everyone.

Cabana Bay day we can stay and keep the same room. $175 for the night.

I’m trying to contact Virgin now to see about flight changes but can’t get through on the phone or on their text service. No answer.

We are packing a small case as an ‘overnight bag’ so that if we stay another night we are sorted or if we get sent away from the airport we are prepared.

I feel confused about what to do. I guess if we choose to stay, our insurance won’t cover us, I’m conflicted about the whole thing.

offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Another update - we can’t get though to Virgin. We have decided to go to the airport and see what happens.

The thing I’m most concerned about is the flight diverting to another airport in the north of England and having to get back to Gatwick to get out car and then get home from there. We will see. I’ll keep you all posted if there are any updates... !

Thanks again for all your input

Old 8 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by offtoseemickey View Post
The thing I’m most concerned about is the flight diverting to another airport in the north of England and having to get back to Gatwick to get out car
If you do get delayed or rerouted, you may need to think about making contact with the company you are parked with; some only allow for delays of a few hours before you move onto a day rate which can be extortionate. At Gatwick's Long Stay carparks, you only get two hours before being bumped into their "day rate" which is a minimum of £25 a day. Some parking places charge from £45 a day. Should you change flights at the airport and stay another night or two, it could be expensive if you don't contact and extend your parking in advance.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Most of the North is also under amber warnings.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List