Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 Jan 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsCupcake
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile When to go, with 9 or 10 year old?

We were originally planning on going to Disney next year 2021 when our kids will be 9, 8 & 6. Problem is we haven't really saved up enough and we just got back from a Christmas DLP trip so we could postpone for another year.

Problem is, if we wait another year then our eldest will turn ten and become an adult.

Does anyone know if it will actually make a big difference to the price? Let's say we book a five person room with free dining, is the only uplift in price likely to be park entry? (Not very much). Or am I missing something?

The difference between a kid and adult on DDP is quite a lot but if we get it free?

Also it's likely we'd need to upgrade QSDP to DDP, maybe that would be a lot.

Basically should we go 2021 or 2022 based on cost?!

I've tried dummy bookings but it hasn't helped much.

Thank you in advance!
MrsCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

if you're in a moderate, and stick with free QSDP, the price increase will be around £20 (tickets only from child to adult) no biggie

if you're in a mod and upgrade to DDP, then you will pay 3 adults upgrades instead of 2

if you go for deluxe, then DDP for just £20

also consider that, with one extra "disney adult", if you do TS the tips will go up ... as the real meal value will go up, even if you use free dining credits.

now, the brain twister is this :

if you go when the child is 9 you may also consider that they may no longer get enough from kids meal, and upgrade them to adult, so they get more choice on the menu.
If you read this forum you'll see quite a few of us upgrade their 8/9 years old to adult as they will no longer feed off nuggets and fries.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dollydaydream7
Very Serious Dibber

dollydaydream7's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

If you did upgrade to the ddp the difference is approx £17 per adult per day and £3 per child. IMO child portions aren’t huge anyway
dollydaydream7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsCupcake

Mobile

Thank you for your replies. So what I'm reading is that the main cost to bear in mind is the upgrading of 3 adults rather than 2, and also extra tips.

I'm thinking it might be better if we wait. I thought the cost difference would be astronomical but looks like it won't be.

Weirdly my eldest is the fussiest eater so I'd probably give his "adult" meal to my middle child (aged 9) and give the kids meal to him.

I'm kinda relieved I don't have to squeeze in the trip next year!
MrsCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'd have a basic plan for both scenarios but would wait until Disney release details for next years plan, IMO I don't think 2021 will be what we are used to as Disney are expecting to be busy so no need to make the carrot super attractive IYKWIM. I would then expect 2022 to return to "normal". I would also point out that it's irrelevant if you don't think that you can save enough for 2021 & if it was me I would wait so that I wasn't putting myself in an impossible situation
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsCupcake

Mobile

Good point shooby doo, I'm not in a rush to go for 50th celebrations so I'd rather go "normal" in 2022.

We could stretch to go in 2021 but it wouldn't be as comfortable as an extra year saving! 😁
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mrs CC they are expecting to be really busy & a lot of the new rides are slated to be opening that year, I can't think of anything worse than a rammed Disney park, whilst on holiday!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List