Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Better off as we had our 2020 vacation cancelled twice, fully refunded and now reinvested for August 2021, making us one vacation ahead of the game and with nothing further to pay, not even spending money as I kept my dollars.

I am however aware of many friends and associates who have had rather tough times and I thus feel fortunate.

I also know of a couple of self employed hairdressers who have done rather well through furloughing... so well in fact that they have wisely invested in Botox, lip fillers and a great lush, flush Christmas.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:25 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

To be honest I don't care whether my income has increased or decreased, what I do care about is my mental state of mind, I work in the aviation sector and the worry and stress has almost destroyed me. Iam hanging on to my job for dear life and god knows when or if things will pick up, iam taking each day one step at a time.
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

I would say we are worse off in a way. Dh always wanted to retire early but he enjoyed the social aspect of it but lockdown put paid to that and I could hear how frustrated he was at his job (very mentally challenging and not able to get information when he required it ) and wasn’t enjoying it any longer with the lack of social interaction so he decided to retire. He was a fairly high earner so we have lost that guaranteed income and his pension is at bare minimum for tax purposes until next April after which his income returns to equivalent current levels. Without covid I think he would of waited another year. I work in nhs so my income remains stable and I don’t think I have spent as much as usual. We had a cruise and a trip to Poland cancelled so hopefully we’ll get the cruise but in reality I think that’ll be next year.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Much better off , normally we have 3/4 holidays a year we had none last year .
So even though we had things like new windows we saved money .
Plus my husband has never been busier at work , he parcels between hubs and local depots so with online shopping being so popular he’s not been short of work , quite the opposite . Plus he got 2 pay rises in the last year .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We are better off due to my husband now receiving his state pension,but before that we were lucky in the sense that we are both furloughed but it is only the amount we are saving each month that is taking a hit,so still being able to save whilst on furlough makes us realise we have nothing to complain about when we are hearing the stories we are hearing of the hardships others are facing through absolutely no fault of their own.
I finish paying for my car this year as well,so that will be another saving so I would say better off financially but mentally far far worse off.
I just want my life back,that means more to me than money in the bank.
Tracy x
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Health is your wealth.

Disney332
This is true.

We should also spare a thought for those whose health is adversely impacted by their lack of wealth though. The two go hand in hand.
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Probably worse off as we have carried the Villa for the last year. On the other hand we haven't spent as much on holidays, outings or clothes so can't complain. We also have flights in hand as we have paid for them and have yet to manage to actually take them.
I appreciate we are in a fortunate position though and I feel desperately sorry for those who aren't.
Incidentally I am ending the year 6lb heavier than I started it too.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I did acknowledge that money does not buy happiness in my origional question. I agree though
It was just my initial thought but I totally understand the sentiments behind your post and agree that in general we have less opportunity to spend.

Take care and stay safe

Disney332
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Definately worse as both of us self employed and been affected by covid
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
This is true.

We should also spare a thought for those whose health is adversely impacted by their lack of wealth though. The two go hand in hand.
I agree but there is a ‘tipping point’ in either direction, where one becomes more important than the other.

Disney332