Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Smithy78
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Accommodation..Not necessarily anywhere near that. It depends what you are pricing against. Whilst you will struggle to find £70 a night like you would for a family on IDrive at, say a Ramada, there are good deals to be had. Prices also seem to YO-YO and I find myself cancelling and rebooking on several occasions. At worst, I would say double in some, but not all areas. San Francisco is clearly pricey as can be San Diego.. but neither are IDrive or lbv either with their surplus of Hotels. Would you expect a cheap Hotel in the centre of Bath, York or Chester during School Summer Hols?

Parks? I would call them comparable, although we haven’t gone there for parks, they form a small part of the whole experience. We are not into Disney and don’t go there (or anywhere else) for the Mouse. We want to see SFO, Alcatraz, cycle the Golden Gate to Sausolito, Monterey, Whale watching, PCH, Pfeiffer park, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Laurel Canyon RMS Queen Mary, USS Midway, Mexican border etc etc.
Further, our next one is also going further inland, Tucson, Davis Monthan, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas.
We did visit Disney in 2018 and were underwhelmed, 6 Flags (great), Seaworld.
This year it is just Warner Bros Studio Tour and Univeral for a day.

For me, California as a whole, seems to work out considerably cheaper for a family of four in August, than Orlando.

If somebody needs some pricing for this August, then I can forward it.
We're looking for 2022, first time for us as family of 4, kids will be 12 & 10. I last visited in 2007!
Smithy78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have done about 40+ trips to Vegas many including California and I love it, Floria has Disney and what was built around it, I like KSC and people say about the beaches if I want beaches I can go to Spain. I don’t like Florida as a state it’s got very little to offer compared to many others so would far rather got to West Coast or better still Colorado but the cost is a lot more.

When we were looking the other year October out of school holidays holiday inn Fisherman’s wharf was something stupid like $400 per night and a travel lodge equivalent over $200 it made the price of PH1 too expensive. Instead we flew to denver stayed at Estes park and then drove to disney LA via Glenwood springs, Grand Canyon, arches, canyon lands, monument valley and Vegas a trip we had last done about 15 years before and I would be happy to do every year.

We paid about $150 a night for timeshare accom near Disney which was good but the same in Florida would have been $50. I prefer Disneyland to Disneyworld by far and also we seemed to have DP far less crowds but that may have been time of year.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I have done about 40+ trips to Vegas many including California and I love it, Floria has Disney and what was built around it, I like KSC and people say about the beaches if I want beaches I can go to Spain. I don’t like Florida as a state it’s got very little to offer compared to many others so would far rather got to West Coast or better still Colorado but the cost is a lot more.

When we were looking the other year October out of school holidays holiday inn Fisherman’s wharf was something stupid like $400 per night and a travel lodge equivalent over $200 it made the price of PH1 too expensive. Instead we flew to denver stayed at Estes park and then drove to disney LA via Glenwood springs, Grand Canyon, arches, canyon lands, monument valley and Vegas a trip we had last done about 15 years before and I would be happy to do every year.

We paid about $150 a night for timeshare accom near Disney which was good but the same in Florida would have been $50. I prefer Disneyland to Disneyworld by far and also we seemed to have DP far less crowds but that may have been time of year.
I think that you have to factor in that Orlando (as opposed to Gulf, Panhandle or Keys) is probably the cheapest holiday destination accommodation in the whole of the United States. I have stayed in NY, D.C., SFO, Monterey, LA, San Diego, Boston, Naples, Duck Key, Key West, Destin, Pensacola, New Orleans and many others. None come as near as twice the price of Orlando.

Flights, particularly direct into MCO and in Easter or Summer Hols are without doubt the most expensive into the United States, ridiculously overpriced. That was a driving force that pushed us initially to Multi Centres. We went somewhere else for several days, flew an internal to Orlando, then had a few days on the Gulf before departing Miami. Saved plenty and saw new things.. and suddenly Orlando didn’t matter any more!

I put these accommodation costs down to a massive oversupply of Hotels, Villas Condos etc, other than in absolute Peak Season.
It is a simple fact that if you want to visit the sights of the USA, as opposed to the enclave of Orlando, you will probably pay less for flights, but more for Accommodation.

A realistic price for a 3 bedroom Villa in Orlando in August 2019 was around £450 plus for a week and hotels, very cheapest $60 all the way up to Hardrock at around £350/night.

San Francisco is never going to be less than expensive (unless you are prepared to stay somewhere like Mission) and it all sells out in peak, same Boston. Both are old Cities with very little Hotel capacity, compared with the demand.

Supply, demand and all that.

Edited at 10:13 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I think that you have to factor in that Orlando (as opposed to Gulf, Panhandle or Keys) is probably the cheapest holiday destination accommodation in the whole of the United States. I have stayed in NY, D.C., SFO, Monterey, LA, San Diego, Boston, Naples, Duck Key, Key West, Destin, Pensacola, New Orleans and many others. None come as near as twice the price of Orlando.

I put this down to a massive oversupply of Hotels, Villas Condos etc, other than in Peak Season.
It is a simple fact that if you want to visit the sights of the USA, as opposed to the enclave of Orlando, you will probably pay less for flights, but more for Accommodation.

A realistic price for a 3 bedroom Villa in Orlando in August 2019 was around £450 plus for a week and hotels, very cheapest $60 all the way up to Hardrock at around £350/night.

San Francisco is never going to be less than expensive (unless you are prepared to stay somewhere like Mission) and it all sells out in peak, same Boston.
No I do agree Orlando just has so much property it makes it silly cheap.

We found driving in from Denver aside from Estes Park which is quite expensive the accommodation was fair until we got to California. The last time we stayed in SF was December 2008 and we paid around $100 per night for the Holiday Inn Fisherman’s Wharf, I know part of the increase was the weaker pound but the rates seemed to have gone through the roof and this seemed the same down Highway 1.

In Vegas we stay with friends and do a couple of nights on the strip that we usually get comped or very cheap.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Accommodation..Not necessarily anywhere near that. It depends what you are pricing against. Whilst you will struggle to find £70 a night like you would for a family on IDrive at, say a Ramada, there are good deals to be had. Prices also seem to YO-YO and I find myself cancelling and rebooking on several occasions. At worst, I would say double in some, but not all areas. San Francisco is clearly pricey as can be San Diego.. but neither are IDrive or lbv either with their surplus of Hotels. Would you expect a cheap Hotel in the centre of Bath, York or Chester during School Summer Hols?

Parks? I would call them comparable, although we haven’t gone there for parks, they form a small part of the whole experience. We are not into Disney and don’t go there (or anywhere else) for the Mouse. We want to see SFO, Alcatraz, cycle the Golden Gate to Sausolito, Monterey, Whale watching, PCH, Pfeiffer park, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Laurel Canyon RMS Queen Mary, USS Midway, Mexican border etc etc.
Further, our next one is also going further inland, Tucson, Davis Monthan, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas.
We did visit Disney in 2018 and were underwhelmed, 6 Flags (great), Seaworld.
This year it is just Warner Bros Studio Tour and Univeral for a day.

For me, California as a whole, seems to work out considerably cheaper for a family of four in August, than Orlando.

If somebody needs some pricing for this August, then I can forward it.
Please
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List