Notices

Old 8 Aug 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fred, Wilma and Family - A Graduation is Cause for Celebration

Hello happy readers, it’s been a while. Not because we haven’t been to Disney/Orlando – because we have. Not because we didn’t have a great time – because we did. But because….Real Life. Yes, Real Life seems to get in the way of most things these days. I have even had to put aside important chores like cleaning, washing, ironing and – ahem – working just to find enough time to plan out our latest adventures. But plan them out we have and this holiday is almost upon us. It’s been a long, long time (3 years if you don’t count the one I started last year and never finished) since I last wrote a trip report, but it is incredibly important to me to capture this trip so I am determined to find time to do so.

So, without further ado, let me introduce The Who

Starring:

Cocktail lover, control freak and super planner

Yours truly – Wilma aka Joh. Yes, that’s Joh – with an ‘h’ – long, boring story as to why that is but the important thing to remember is it’s Joh, not John, as some people seem to think, as if I can’t spell my own name and missed the ‘n’ off the end. I am a girl (well, I was last time I looked), not a guy and I can spell my own name. In fact, while we are on the subject, if spelling and grammar were super powers, they would be mine. I am incredibly OCD about it, to the point where I have been nicknamed “the grammar police” on many an occasion. And, do you know what’s funny? People think it’s an insult! I wear it like a badge of honour.

I am in my mid-forties (sheesh, I swear the last time I wrote one of these things, I was describing myself as barely 40), long-time lover of all things Disney but wasn’t fortunate enough to take my first trip to Walt Disney World until my honeymoon in 2004. I am married to Gary with three fabulously brilliant children (OK, that’s a lie – only one of them is super amazing, but I’m not going to say which one – I like to keep them on their toes). Only two of them will be starring in this trip report, though. The other has a supporting role as cat-sitter extraordinaire, having done a responsible thing and spent her money on a new car, rather than coming on holiday with us.

This will be my twentieth (I think) trip to Walt Disney World. I never, ever thought I would be lucky enough to say I have almost lost count of just how many times I’ve been to Walt Disney World. As the kids have grown up and left home, taking Disney World holidays has become cheaper, thanks to only having to pay for three flights instead of five. And we are lucky enough to have been able to take many trips as a couple too, saving even more money. Of course, DH doesn’t see it as saving money (he is of the opinion that we are spending money, not saving it, but that’s because he doesn’t understand Disney Maths). And, talking of DH, I guess I ought to introduce my partner in crime….

Adrenalin junkie, tea drinker and designated driver

DH – Gary. I have introduced him many times, in many ways, over the years. He is, and always has been, a reluctant Disney lover. He enjoys our trips and, it’s safe to say, has even gotten to the point where he gets a little excited about them. But he isn’t as infatuated with Disney and Disney holidays as me. He is very much of the “tell me what time and where to be” school of planning, whereas I am more of the “what time, where, how we will get there, who’s going, what to wear and how long it will take” variety. Nonetheless, he indulges me and my love of Disney and for that I love him dearly, and reward him with the occasional visit to Typhoon Lagoon.

Next up we have…

Teenage terror, human dustbin and voted “most likely to have to be dragged out of bed in the morning”

DS – Daniel. Daniel is now 15 and a far cry from the little cutie who was such a joy during our early trips.

He is actually an incredibly mature, delightful, intelligent young man – sadly, only about 50% of the time though. The rest of the time he is a 15 year old boy. He is most worried about the prospect of 18 days without his beloved PS4. I swear he will miss that more than his girlfriend. It’s fair to say that Daniel, like many kids nowadays, often fails to recognise how incredibly lucky he is to have travelled to America so many times at such a tender age. And he never tires of hearing me and his Dad tell him so Daniel is most looking forward to the Universal parks and has requested that the first ride of the trip is Hulk at Islands of Adventure, a request which I’m prepared to try and indulge.

Graduate, co-planner, fellow drinker, partner in crime and daughtery friend

DD – Rhiannon (affectionately known as Rea). She is pretty much the sole reason for this trip – this is her graduation trip, having successfully qualified as a midwife (with a first no less) in February. We are so incredibly proud of her. Rhiannon’s last trip to Florida was in 2009, when she was just 15, so she has got a LOT of catching up to do. It’s fair to say that her excitement is matched only by my own. We have planned the whole thing together, more or less down to the last second. On her last visit, she was something of a ride wuss but, having got a little more daring in the last 9 years, she is hoping to try everything at least once. We’ll see how that goes….

Future son-in-law and Florida first-timer

DDF (DD's Fiance) - Ben is Rhiannon’s long-suffering boyfriend and, as of last summer, future husband. Ben is originally from South Africa and has NEVER BEEN TO A THEME PARK IN HIS LIFE. Boy, is he in for a treat. He is a lover of steak and onion rings so I think he will be right at home in the US. It remains to be seen how he will react to the rides but we are all hoping he loves Disney and Florida as much as we do. Otherwise….

We also have five honorary members of the family who are along for the ride at various stages….

Ice cream eater, alcohol donor and BFF

Hot tub buddy, music lover and ‘brother’

Introducing Kim and Terry, our fellow cruise buddies. We met Kim and Terry on the Westbound Panama Canal cruise in 2015, and now a holiday just isn’t a holiday without them. We have so much fun together – one of those rare situations where the guys get on just as well as us girls. Despite this being a family vacation to celebrate Rhiannon’s graduation, Kim and Terry are so much a part of our family now that there was never any question of them not being invited along.

Drinking buddy, Starbucks drinker and tofu-lover

I was wracking my brains the other day to remember how long I’ve known Linda now. We first ‘met’ through the DISboards, when we got chatting about DVC as Linda was looking to buy. Our first ‘in person’ meeting was in Starbucks, a meeting at which Linda was christened Starbucks Linda. Linda and her husband, Philip, joined us on the Westbound Panama Canal cruise last year, and we have met up once or twice in Orlando, but we have never actually been on holiday together. Linda, Rhiannon and I try and get together every few months in Reading, where we shop (although, to be fair, much of our shopping consists of ordering stuff online while sat in a bar), drink, eat and talk Disney. It was on one such trip a few months ago where we floated the idea of Linda joining us on this trip. Not needing much encouragement, I think she had pretty much booked before I got home that night (it wasn’t actually that quick but she certainly didn’t need much persuading).

And finally….

Stalkers, margarita drinkers and regular co-stars

You may recognise Wendy and Rich from previous trip reports. We first met them on a cruise in 2009 and have been taking trips with them pretty much ever since. We have also been lucky enough to visit them at home in Georgia and they have been over to see us here in the UK. Unfortunately, Wendy and Rich will only be joining us for the final three days of the vacation but better late than never.

So, there you have it, our motley crew. This is, without a doubt, going to be the most chaotic, lively, exciting, funny, drunken adventure yet!

Edited at 09:01 PM.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulabelle18
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds amazing! Looking forward to this
Loulabelle18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Loulabelle18 View Post
Sounds amazing! Looking forward to this
Thanks for reading
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
So, we’ve had the ‘Who’, here comes the 'Why'...

The Back Story (there’s always a back story, right?)

Sorry, wrong story. In a way, it almost feels like this story starts as far back as that, though. As I mentioned, DD’s last trip to Orlando was in 2009.

Ohana means family. And that means you can never have a photo taken where everybody is smiling...

We had a great time and were due to return as a family in 2011. However, fate took a turn and DD left home at the tender age of 17. I won’t go into a huge amount of detail but things didn’t work out exactly as planned and, happily for us, a year or so later the prodigal daughter returned - a little older and far, far wiser. While that was a difficult time for all of us, it’s fair to say that I think it taught both of us how much we love and need each other, and I hope we never, ever take that for granted.

Anyway, when DD returned, it was with a new determination to do something with her life. DH and I made it very clear that we couldn’t afford to support her and she immediately got a job and started saving, while also studying to achieve the required qualifications to get her into University. At the end of 2014, she was accepted into the University of West London to study midwifery and I am so proud and pleased to say she graduated a couple of weeks ago, as a fully-fledged and amazing midwife.

During this time (well, before going to Uni actually) she met Ben and they moved in together before she started at Reading Campus of UWL. I was initially concerned about it, but I think that was mainly my own fears of losing the daughter I had only just found again. I needn’t have worried, though, as she and Ben have managed brilliantly and gone from strength to strength during some incredibly difficult times. I couldn’t have been more pleased for them both when they got engaged while on a trip to South Africa last summer.

I am secretly hoping for a Disney wedding

During DD’s time at Uni, we often talked fondly of our Disney World holidays and she expressed a desire to go back once her studying was finished, so it was decided that her graduation trip had to be to Orlando. Like most trips (I’m sure those of you reading know how this happens), it started out fairly simple but, over time, we have added more and more to the plans. At some point, we decided that we absolutely had to take a cruise, since Rea had loved her one and only cruise in 2009 so much. We originally had a 4-night booked but the dates were proving difficult, so we switched to the 3-night and, whilst it will be short, it works much better with the dates of our flights, etc.

As I have mentioned, this was always intended to be a family holiday to celebrate DD’s graduation, but at some point, my eldest daughter turned sensible and decided to move in with her boyfriend and buy a new car, so the chances of her being able to afford it were significantly reduced. Never being one to miss an opportunity, I immediately asked them to cat sit for us while we were away

We never make plans for holidays now without inviting Kim and Terry, so they were obviously asked if they would like to join us. We weren’t sure if they would be able to make it once we changed the cruise dates, but I’m happy to report that they are going to be with us for the majority of the time we are there. Then, during a drinking (I mean, shopping) trip to Reading with my friend, Linda, Rhiannon and I somehow managed to persuade her to come along as well. I think that was the same day that we had one too many cocktails and she managed to lose her credit cards between getting to the train station and getting off the train 30 minutes later – but, for some reason, she still wanted to come with us and had booked not long after. Linda is, sadly, not going to be able to cruise with us, but arrives at Disney the day after Kim and Terry and will be there right up until the day we leave Disney to embark on the Disney Dream (having recently extended her trip by one day, to incorporate the first day of Food & Wine).

So, that's the convoluted story behind the reason for this holiday. Next up 'When' and 'Where'.

Edited at 09:42 PM.
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
So you're not watching the first few episodes of MasterChef then Joh although one suspects you'll be a darn site better than me at taking food photos

Sounds like a brilliant trip and looking forward to hearing all about it

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
So you're not watching the first few episodes of MasterChef then Joh although one suspects you'll be a darn site better than me at taking food photos

Sounds like a brilliant trip and looking forward to hearing all about it
Still no sign of Masterchef Australia on my planner I will definitely be recording it while we're away though so no spoilers...

Let's face it, I couldn't be any worse than you at taking food pictures

I am so excited, ready to go NOW!
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Looking forward to your trip!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Looking forward to your trip!
Not as much as me Thanks for reading
Old 9 Aug 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

oh great,i will look forward to this,i used to read your trippies years ago when the kids were younger xx
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Let's face it, I couldn't be any worse than you at taking food pictures
Stick a picture up of just two meals and you’ll be way ahead of me

Promise no Masterchef spoilers

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List