Old 28 Jul 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
TheBroadbents
New Poster (4)

TheBroadbents's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Chances of upgrade at a resort hotel

Hi all,

I'm looking to find out if people have had room upgrades when arriving at check-in and who you booked with to see if Disney show any preference when allocating rooms.

We've been upgraded both times we stayed on the property. The first time was when we stayed at Saratoga and won the lottery when we were upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom apartment!

The second time we were upgraded from a standard room at The Grand Floridian to a lake view room, from which the views were breathtaking

Both times we were celebrating and booked through Disney directly.

I look forward to hearing about your own experiences!
TheBroadbents is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Once we were upgraded to a once bed villa at OKW. We refused it though as we wanted the two queen beds (we’ve since stayed in a 2 bed and realise now it was stupid to refuse). We book direct with Disney every time and only ever been upgraded once.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
The best one we have had was an upgrade from a standard room at Boardwalk to a Honeymoon Cottage with Club level access, total surprise at check in. Booked directly with Disney which we have done for many many years.

Dawn
Old 28 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Generally book directly with Disney. 11 on site trips. Have only once been upgraded and only a garden to pool view at Beach Club. Basically the general advice is don’t expect it, definitely don’t ask for it (Cast Member feedback seems to be this reduces not increases your chances) and be happy when it happens. We were upgraded from a standard room to a Minions Suite at Universal’s Portofino Bay Hotel which was pretty nice. I think also the longer your trip the less the chance of an upgrade. That’s harder to accommodate than a night or two.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

Mobile

Just back from our holiday and we were upgraded from a standard view room at the Beach Club to a Club Level room.

Booked directly with Disney and noted that it was our anniversary on our booking
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Me an OH were upgraded from a water view room to a 2 bed suite at Beach Club. Booked direct with Disney and it was our anniversary and my birthday, both noted on the reservation.
Old 28 Jul 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
TheBroadbents
New Poster (4)

TheBroadbents's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Thank you for your replies!

I think i'm going to go with my gut and book direct with Disney. We arrive on my husband 40th Birthday so I'm hoping that someone may spot that and if there's any availability allocate us something nice but it's a privilege to stay on property period so as long as I don't expect it then I won't be disappointed.

Going to stay at CSR to get the dining plan.It's a step down from the other resorts we've stayed at but I'm looking forward to exploring the new Destino tower and the new restaurants!
TheBroadbents is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Never get an upgrade as mostly always book a value report. Been going for 10 years. 😎
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We got upgraded from standard room to pool view room at AKL. I was disappointed to start with as I’d read that quite a few people were upgraded to partial savannah view rooms. When we looked at our room, though, it was perfect. Only a few minutes walk from the lobby, a few steps away from The Mara and the pool. The balcony wasn’t big enough for all 4 of us to sit out on anyway so it didn’t bother us that there wasn’t a huge amount of privacy. It was great and I’m glad we didn’t ask for a change. At OKW we didn’t get the block we’d requested. We asked at check in if we could change but they couldn’t get us where we wanted. They offered us a newly refurbished room but we decided to stick with what they’d given us originally as it was near the bus stop and quick service restaurant. It turned out to be a fabulous room in a great location. I’ve decided from now on I’m going to trust what they give us at check-in until we’ve looked at the room as Disney seem to have put us in some great places. We booked direct with Disney both times.
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Once we were upgraded to a once bed villa at OKW. We refused it though as we wanted the two queen beds (we’ve since stayed in a 2 bed and realise now it was stupid to refuse). We book direct with Disney every time and only ever been upgraded once.
Yes declining that upgrade was a crazy decision! Live and learn...