Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Do my neighbours need planning permission for this please?

We came back from our week away to this...

To give some perspective the picture is taken from my eyeline standing in my side doorway, this is the back end of the neighbour’s L shaped garden.

When we came back the roof wasn’t yet on & we’d wrongfully assumed it’d be flat so weren’t concerned.

Not so happy about it with the high roofline, one of the selling points when we bought was not looking out onto buildings (the one on the right is their garage) and all the light that allowed into our house.

There is history of a bit of a war over building plans with these people & the previous owners here which seemingly our predecessors won as the area was building free. We weren't aware of any of this prior to moving in, our other neighbours have told us since.

Can we do anything or can they build this with no planning permission or consultation with us?

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 09:09 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Looks like a big shed or workshop . Wooden so not a permanent structure. I wouldn't think any planing permission would be required for that. I'm no expert but that's my guess.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
Looks like a big shed or workshop . Wooden so not a permanent structure. I wouldn't think any planing permission would be required for that. I'm no expert but that's my guess.
Thank you, that's what my husband thinks. It's actually a lot larger than it looks in the picture, they'd apparently applied for permission to build a bungalow nearer to our house originally but the previous owners objected and planning was refused so our concern is that they've found a bit of a loop hole...

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

They might - depends on a number of reasons like height and now near the boundary with you it is. A wooden garden room at the base of a family member and needed Some sort of planning permission - best look online and if you are concerned contact your council (but they may not come back for months!)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
They might - depends on a number of reasons like height and now near the boundary with you it is. A wooden garden room at the base of a family member and needed Some sort of planning permission - best look online and if you are concerned contact your council (but they may not come back for months!)
Thank you, we have filled out a form on the council website but I'm sure this will be built long before we hear back from them.

Looks like we're going to have to live with it!

Old 23 Oct 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The good news is that it does not seemingly have a big enough footprint to be a bungalow and the roof trusses preclude a second floor.

Whilst I understand that their garage is to the right, this new structure does have the appearance of a two port double garage (of wood and therefore a ‘temporary’ structure). Could their existing double garage be retrospectively getting planning Permission to become a dwelling, if they have constructed it appropriately for a change?

People can be very devious and they may have planned this all along.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The good news is that it does not seemingly have a big enough footprint to be a bungalow and the roof trusses preclude a second floor.

Whilst I understand that their garage is to the right, this new structure does have the appearance of a two port double garage (of wood and therefore a ‘temporary’ structure). Could their existing double garage be retrospectively getting planning Permission to become a dwelling, if they have constructed it appropriately for a change?

People can be very devious and they may have planned this all along.
Thank you, that's worrying and a very good point, I think you could be right.

We have been warned that they've been devious in the past, and the original plans that our predecessors put a stop to date back more than 3 years.

Old 23 Oct 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

They can have a shed/workshop with a pitched roof with a maximum height of 2.5 m and 4m Inc roof and more than 2 m from boundary.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

propertyreporter/p...buildings.html
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I'm not sure? but hasn't there been a relaxation of planning rules within the last 3 years? They could well be taking advantage of that to try and get their bungalow plans off the ground again!